Prelude to Apocalypse

by ImmodicusFuror

Copyright© 2005 by ImmodicusFuror

Fiction Story: The beginning of the end of a great world.<br><i>Note: Since this is a prequel, I recommend strongly that you read CSquared's Tears of a Clone before you read this short story.</i>

Tags: Science Fiction  

A prequel of Tears of a Clone by: CSquared

Par-al could not help but laugh as his limo-type skycar approached the metal spire that was his new creation. A group of maybe thirty protestors could be seen gathering below, at the base of the building. They were ineffectually hollering and attacking the small army assembled at the ground entrances to the facility, shouting their endless chants that called for the cessation of cloning. These tiny cretins actually believed that they could stop him, the founder of the entire world's organ replacement program. He was amused, at best, by their pitiful attempts to do so thus far.

The skycar slowed as it neared the already opening doors of the facility. It slowly lowered itself onto the nearest available landing area, small robots floating towards the craft to form a parade formation as it touched down. The back door of the vehicle swung open with a nearly inaudible hiss, Par-al stepping out with dignity and grace. He smirked as he walked between the two rows of at-attention robots towards the group of awaiting technicians that were barely containing their obvious excitement.

"Is the grand opening on-schedule?" Par-al asked the nearest technician.

The technician quickly nodded. "Of course, sir. The cavern has nearly been fully dug out, and the clone storage system is online. We'll take you to the main control room immediately, so that you can begin the production of the organ replacement units. There is something that we did want to ask you though: what do you want to officially label the organ replacement units? Most people seem to be calling them clones; others are calling them replicas... just for the record."

Par-al rubbed the bridge of his nose in frustration. "Oh please, it's a simple word. 'Clone' will do just fine. Now, before we are late for the button-pushing ceremony..."

The technician merely nodded again, walking off towards a lift built into the dock wall. Par-al was about to start following him on foot when a group of about twelve small robots floated up behind him, projecting a cushion field beneath him. They pushed him slightly off the ground, forming the cushion into the shape of a comfortable chair. The robo-chair silently pushed Par-al along, which could not have been an easy exploit; Par-al, at the young age of seventy, was over two hundred fifty pounds in weight. He had to admire the power of these small mechanical devices.

The robo-chair glided him to the lift, which began to rise the second he was fully within it. It skyrocketed upwards at an incredible velocity, the lighting from outside of the transparent tube flashing by at such an amazing rate that it formed a strong strobe effect. Par-al shut his eyes tightly; he definitely did not want to have an epileptic seizure just minutes before he would have the ability to repair any damaged tissue he might receive from the event.

As the lift began slowing, Par-al noticed that there were absolutely no inertial effects during the ride. He had to smile at that; evidently, he had done well when he chose the gravitician that designed the anti-gravity generators for the various modes of transports in the cloning facility.

 
There is more of this story...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.