The 2nd Farmer - Cover

The 2nd Farmer

Copyright© 2023 by Adam.F

Chapter 7

The warmth of the late summer sun beat down on our backs as we rode along, Amber’s long auburn hair streaming out behind her like a flag in the wind. I could feel the gentle sway of the wagon beneath me, the creaking of the wood and the soft nickering of our horses as they pulled us along the dirt path. The sound of their hooves was a rhythmic drumbeat against the earth, a soothing symphony to the rustic scenery that surrounded us.

Ahead, the barn came into view, its weathered boards and wooden roof standing tall against the backdrop of the green pasture of the land stretching out towards the mountains. The air was thick with the scent of hay and horse sweat, but there was also a hint of something else, something I couldn’t quite put my finger on. As we approached, I glanced over at Amber, her face flushed from the sun and her eyes bright with excitement.

I had Amber help me back the wagon into the barn and she helped me to unload the wood burning stove that I had purchased for warmth and for cooking on. The barn was much cooler than outside but not unbearable. I led the horses to their stalls where they would be safe, and I fed them some oats and I made sure they had plenty of water in the trough for them to drink from

As I was tending to the horses, Amber explored the barn a bit more. She found an old rocking chair in the corner near the window, and she sat down in it and started to rock back and forth, gazing out the window at the scenery.

“It’s so peaceful here,” she said softly, her voice carrying through the quiet barn. “I can’t believe this is your home now.”

For now, I want to build a house, but it will have to wait until I can afford it. I finished with the horses and joined Amber in the rocking chair. “It’s not much,” I said, “but it’s home for now.”

I have heard from the man I brought the barn and land from it will be a bitterly cold winter this year so we have a few weeks to get enough wood to last us for this year so I suggest we go out tomorrow and start cutting down the trees we will need.

I glanced over at Amber as I spoke, her eyes wide with surprise. “You mean ... we’re going to have to chop down trees?” she asked, her voice wavering. “I’ve never done that before.

It will require us to use a 2 man saw to cut them down then use an adze to clean to wood up before we cut it into smaller pieces with the axes so we will need to work together to get this done. I have already made the axe handles and I have sharpened them so we will be able to cut the wood quicker. I will show you how to use the tools needed to cut the trees down safely and efficiently, so you don’t hurt yourself. Amber was still unsure, but she trusted me, so she agreed to help me.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.