Genevieve - Cover

Genevieve

Copyright© 2023 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 20

Sore arms?

First start, cold start, 10.5:1 compression ratio ... and not reading the WHOLE manual before yanking that pull cord.

Had she read the whole manual ... at least the part about the manual compression release which was on the same page as adjusting the valves ... she didn’t read that either ... they might not have had sore arms. That ... and ... when the first unboxed motor wouldn’t start ... they opened the next box. Everything was just like the first.

Bethanne could barely drive ... she stayed the night.

Daddy was happy in the morning.

Mysteries that might be revealed when school started in the fall.

Probably not ... there was for sure ... going to be wild ass rumors and much innuendo ... Middle School was, after all 6th 7th and 8th grade ... and those ‘older women’ were experienced, or so they said.

‘A new adventure ... Middle School ... all the way across the island ... and I can’t take my car.’ Meat for the mind. ‘I’ll think about it.’

Bethanne said ... at the same time Gen said... “I read the manual last night”

Bethanne added, “After.”

Geneveive added, “Before.”

They were like a Tee intersection ... one way was led to the shower ... hmm ... so did the other ... for different reasons. But they both said ... like twins... “I found where we went wrong.”

The second trip to The Eighty ended with high RPM sounds. Really high ... like 9 thousand a minute... 150 a second.

“So ... what are you going to build?” Gen asked.

“So ... what can I build?” Bethanne asked.

Gen handed her a sheet of paper.

A one-seat car using Honda 17”x 1 3/4” or 2” rims, 2.50 x 17” tires (2.75’s have been used on the Alfa), a 38” track, wheelbase as close to 66” as the aesthetics of the car will allow (err on the shorter side for more abstract cuteness and general attractiveness), weight no more than 250lbs, and powered by a 200cc, single cylinder, 6.5 hp Honda OHV engine (the GX200). A Cyclekart should not cost more than $2500 to build (this is to avoid spending races where people start hiring out parts and making things too nice; we’re not making show cars, and an element of scrounging adds to the fun). Some measurements:
Max Length: 98”
Max Width: 40”
1”X3” steel framerails (84” long in the Type 59, rear axle 10” ahead of aft end) The 1” X 3” steel stock comes in thicker and thinner walls; we use the thinner 1/16”.
Front springs 24” X 1 1/4”, 2 leaf 1/2 elliptics
Not necessarily rules ... guidlines, yes. Rules, no.

“I see,” Bethanne said. She looked at Gen’s Alfa.

Bethanne said, “Those aren’t Honda wheels.”

“I used what I could find ... at the time.” G

“That’s not a steel frame.” B

“I used what was handy.” G

There was a Stanley measuring tape on the work table. Bethanne picked it up.

“Wheelbase is too long.” B

“66 inches looked awkward. 77 inches is what I wanted. I had a ‘concession’ from the club. 71” and not a speck more.” G

“105 inches overall.” B

“Aesthetics.” G

“The rules aren’t rules.” B

“Correct ... the rules are what the club will let you get away with.” G

“What years originals?” B

“The club would appreciate 1920 through 1940.” G

“Half their cars are from 1900 to 1920.” B

Bethanne looked slightly perplexed, “Ok ... what’s the real deal?”

Genevieve blushed. “Race cars. No Indy cars after 1964.”

“Really?”

“I have a book of competitive racecars from 1900 to 1950. Aerodynamically, streamlining was in its infancy. There are some really weird cars.”

“Where?”

Genevieve retrieved it from its box. “Have at it.” Gen started making noise.

“What are you doing?”

“Keeping the club members out.”

“Oh?”

“When it’s quiet they snoop.”

“I see,” and she did. “Do you have a design facility?”

From another closet Gen retrieved a typical high school drafting set ... wood drawing board ... T square, ruler, compass, etcetera ... all the hand tools one would find before design by computer ... and a ream of light green drafting paper ... still in its original paper wrapping.

“Sure,” she said.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.