The Pastor's Replacement Bride - Cover

The Pastor's Replacement Bride

Copyright© 2023 by George H. McVey

Chapter 13

Hattie

Hattie woke in her bed fully clothed, again. What was it about that man that made her so relaxed, she’d fall asleep in his arms? Oh, and he’d held her! He’d pulled her into his arms and settled her on his lap. Oh, they’d been so indecent!

Why hadn’t Helen or Mrs. Williams stopped them? Then it hit her anew, Haddie was gone. She sat up in bed. Her dear precious friend, who’d found a way for her to escape her fate, had never gotten to be a mother. She’d never gotten to be courted. She’d served God so faithfully, why had He not rewarded her with her heart’s desire?

Pastor Long had served Him, as well, and now he was all alone. Just as she wondered why God would allow that, a verse came to her head. “I will never leave you, nor forsake you.”

No, Pastor Long wasn’t alone, he still had God. She was sure he would grieve, but another passage came to her. “We do not grieve as those that have no hope.” That too was true. She knew where Haddie was right this minute and she also knew from scripture that Haddie wasn’t sad or upset. She wasn’t sick or in pain.

No, her friend was in heaven beyond all that. Worshiping in the very presence of God. She was with the One who loved her more completely than any man could, more than even Hattie had loved her.

No, she wouldn’t weep for Haddie. She had cried her tears, now she would rejoice. She would take comfort in knowing that God had taken her friend beyond all her worries about being a good pastor’s wife and women’s spiritual leader. Taken her beyond the worry that her father wouldn’t understand that she wanted to leave Chicago and ministry to just be a normal person. She was in paradise and Hattie would honor her friend. She would allow herself to even admit that she wanted to court Joshua, that she wanted to marry him and have his children.

That last thought brought heat to her face. How could she have such indecent thoughts about Sanctuary’s Pastor? Yes, he’d originally written to Haddie, but now Haddie wasn’t coming. Now, for the first time since her heart had dared to hope he could be hers, she didn’t have to feel guilty about it.

God had a plan, after all. It wasn’t the plan she’d thought it was. It wasn’t the plan Haddie had thought it was. But it was God’s plan, and He had used those things the devil meant to destroy them, to bring those plans to fruition.

Hattie sprang from the bed and washed her face. She threw open the door to her room and stepped into the common areas of the house. She was going to embrace this opportunity God had given her.

He’d sent her here with a group of brides. Sent her to a town desperate for the pastor to find his God given helpmate and she would embrace God’s plan for her. That calling, because that was what He’d sent her here to do.

Now, to find the girls and go shopping. She needed to outfit herself for that calling in this rugged country and this adorable and growing town. First, get outfitted, then court the good pastor and win his heart and help her sister brides do the same with their suitors.

There was one other thing she needed to be outfitted for her calling. She just prayed that Uncle Jethro carried them in his shop and she wouldn’t have to order one. It was time for her to have her own Bible.

She walked into the parlor where the six other brides all sat, working on sewing or embroidery. “Well, what are we all doing sitting around? Aren’t you going to help me get outfitted today?”

They all put down their projects and gathered around her, hugging her, and asking if she was okay, giving her their condolences.

“Thank you, all of you. Yes, I am saddened by Haddie’s death and I have grieved and maybe I’m not finished grieving yet, I don’t know. But God has reminded me she is beyond pain and sickness now, and with the One who loves her more than any person can.

“He also has let me know that all of you were right. He has called me here for a purpose, and you knew that purpose even before I did. I have chosen to embrace that purpose, whole heartedly.

“I will court the good pastor. We will fall in love with each other, and he will ask me to marry him, and I will say yes. So, to that end, let us find Helen and Mrs. Williams and go shopping!”

Hattie saw that some of the girls looked worried. “Don’t worry, girls. I am in my right mind. You all know the scriptures, let me remind you that ‘God works in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform.’ Today He has worked through a telegram informing me of my best friend’s death. But God is so good that He has replaced my one good and best friend with nine others, my sister brides, each of you, Helen and Mrs. Williams. He has allowed me to see His hand arranging all this, so that I would accept the thing He has called me to do. I may weep, yet again, for Haddie and losing her presence. But for now, I am ready to move forward, so join me in moving forward.”

Helen and Mrs. Williams came in with Virginia from the kitchen, and Lyla went over and whispered with them in the dining room. Both women looked over at Hattie several times.

Mrs. Williams nodded. “So, it seems God has been at work in you, during your quiet time.”

“Yes, Mrs. Williams, I believe He has. Now, are you joining us on our shopping trip?”

“No, dear. You young women have fun. Helen will accompany you. Oh, and ladies, Pastor Bryce has gone to ask your young men to come and declare their intentions to pay suit to each of you. Please remember that we promised your families and pastors that we’d safeguard your reputations.

“So, do not go off unchaperoned, even to accept their request to court you. Have them follow Pastor Bryce’s example and do so publicly, in this house, where you can all tease them mercilessly.”

The girls all giggled.

“Yeah, I wonder if any of them will get as tongue tied as Pastor Bryce.”

“You’d think a man who spoke for a living wouldn’t have had that problem. My fella’s just a banker. What chance do I have that he’ll even be able to speak at all?”

“We’ll pull them through, just like we did the preacher.”

That sent them all laughing. They gathered bonnets and proceeded out the door and next door, entering the mercantile like an invading army.


Jethro

Jethro looked up at the sound of the door opening, and thought what, by noise level, must have been a gaggle of geese, turned out to be the entire occupancy of the Bride House. “Good morning, ladies. Welcome to my store. If you need something you don’t see, just ask. If Helen, there, doesn’t know where it is, we can order it for you.”

“Thanks, Papa. They’ll just browse around for a bit. Can I see you in the back room for a minute?”

“Sure, Sweetheart.”

He watched as Helen came behind the counter and picked up the account book. Then he followed her into the back room.

“What’s up?”

“Do you know Hattie’s story?”

“Yes. Joshua shared it with me today. I’m surprised to see her after that telegram.”

“Oh, Papa, the news crushed her. But it was amazing to see Joshua. He took her in his arms and comforted her. He was everything every girl dreams of for a husband. You would have been proud of him. Then, you would have insisted they get married right away.”

Jethro frowned. “Why would you say that?”

“She collapsed into his arms. When her legs wouldn’t hold her anymore, he scooped her up and sat with her on the settee. She nestled up into the hollow of his neck and chest and wept. He just sat there and held her. Never saying a thing and let her cry, while knowing he was there to offer support and comfort.”

“So, why would you think I’d force them to marry for that?”

“She was in his lap, Papa. Curled up against him. It was completely innocent. I’m not even sure she was aware of what she’d done, and he was completely honorable in his reactions to her. He just held her and comforted her.”

“Why didn’t you stop it?”

“Papa, you weren’t there. She needed his presence and comfort. She fell asleep. Mrs. Williams told me that once she was asleep, he extracted himself and left her in our care. It was sweet and innocent and you must not make a big deal about it to him or her.”

“Well, you had better not let one word of this get out to anyone else or I won’t have to.”

“No one but you, me and Mrs. Williams know about it. We won’t say anything, so it won’t get out. Anyway, that isn’t what I called you back here to talk about.”

He loved his daughter, but she could be so aggravating at times. “Then, why did you bring it up?”

“Because, it is a testament to how much your nephew already loves this woman! I thought you’d be happy about that.”

“I told you, we talked this morning. He already told me how much he loves her. He said he’d marry her today, if she’d let him.”

Helen giggled and clapped her hands. “Really? Oh, this is going to be so much fun.”

“What is?”

“She said the same thing about five minutes before we came here.”

“Should I wire up another preacher, then?”

“No, let them figure it out for themselves. Besides, she isn’t outfitted for a wedding yet and that’s why we are back here. Please look at Joshua’s account.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.