Sword of the Goddess - Cover

Sword of the Goddess

Copyright© 2023 by QM

Chapter 47

“You were also informed that only those favoured of the goddess could use the gateway,” Darras said, his voice laced with frustration. “Placing armed guards upon it is a waste of their time.”

“The guards’ instructions were to simply ask any arriving to wait until someone in authority could be called,” one of the elders replied.

“Then they need to be admonished or replaced,” Darras replied flatly. “You have the agent of Hallis, Mirion, an Elf who may visit, and with the two on duty, that would have gone extremely badly for her and disastrously for your people.”

“She is of the weak kin,” one of the elders who had remained silent in times past sneered. “Easily replaced.”

“She is Klea’s sworn friend,” Darras replied in freezing tones, making the Dark Kin elder flinch. “Also, angering Hallis would likely get you a visit from Epelmos, the plague god.”

Unlikely, if possible, ’ Erren confirmed. ‘Hallis is not generally disposed to permitting Epelmos anywhere.

“It does appear that our security measures were a little ... overzealous,” the one whom Darras presumed was senior admitted.

“The only people at the minute using the gateway will be the agents of the gods and their guests,” Darras stated. “Granted, having someone there to check is advisable, but you need to curb the hostility and fear of others in such meetings.”

“We will do as we please,” the hostile speaker snarled. “You are weak, an irrelevance to the people of the blade.”

“May I remind you of where you are and why?” Darras replied, silencing the elder and making the others nod slowly. “Erren ... Wenderos permitted you to dwell here safely; it is now beholden to you to accept those she permits to come here to carry out the tasks they are set.”

“A timely reminder of our duty to guests,” the senior elder said, silencing the dissent. “I will ensure future visitors are treated respectfully, especially Mirion, the healer.”

“That’s all that’s required,” Darras replied. “We do not, as things currently are, expect you to like us; simply accept we have the tasks of our gods to accomplish.”

“You have questions on the Jomanti blade?” The elder asked.

“Yes,” Darras nodded.

“Such knowledge is forbidden to outsiders,” the original dissenting elder stated.

“I’m not asking to see it,” Darras replied.

“Knowledge of the blade is hidden to all but a few,” the senior elder explained. “What happened with the arrogance of Harranis is deeply etched in our society.”

“There is a potential situation developing involving a dragon,” Darras replied. “One of the known features of the blade is its ability to enable its wielder to command absolute obedience from those around it. If the wielder demands the dragon return to sleep, the dragon will obey.”

There was silence amongst the elders, some of whom looked extremely thoughtful. “And you wish to choose a wielder?” the senior elder asked.

“No, I’m here to see if you can or will.”

“You wish us to choose a wielder?”

“The blade chooses the wielder,” Darras replied. “You just need to allow access to it for the blade to choose.”

“Only the keepers may see the blade,” the dissenter angrily replied.

“Then see if they can wield it,” Darras countered. “If not, then find a way to permit another.”

“We will not!”

“Then check your lore; I suspect your objection is based upon a ... misinterpretation of it.”

“The tenets of the blade are open to all,” the senior said into the angry silence. “I will have them re-read.”

“You dare!” the dissenter snarled.

“What is it you fear, Colsek?” The senior asked. “The tenets are no secret, though admittedly, no one from outside has opened them in centuries.”

“It is not for any to gainsay the keepers!”

“You would prevent the council from viewing the tenets in violation of our sacred laws?”

“The keepers interpret the law, not the council!” Colsek snarled, causing many on the council to frown.

“That is not our lore,” the senior replied, getting nods from the majority. “The keepers preserve the lore and the traditions; they do not interpret or deny it to the people of the blade to read.”

“I will leave you to deliberate,” Darras said into an angry silence. “My presence here may cause ill-thought words of anger.”

“My thanks, Darras,” the senior replied.

Darras left the building and was immediately joined by Klea, who he assumed was there as his guarantor.

“You have caused much in the way of anger and dissent,” Klea said.

“I came seeking answers,” Darras replied thoughtfully. “Not confrontation.”

“I understand,” Klea nodded. “Your ... chastisement of the guards has also caused much in the way of debate, too.”

“Those guards would likely have assaulted and murdered Mirion had she come through,” Darras pointed out. “Whoever assigned them does not appear to understand the consequences of their actions.”

“Elder Colsek assigned them; he is from a highly conservative faction,” Klea explained. “Nor should they have been armed in all honesty.”

“He’s also opposed to me learning of the blade or permitting a wielder to be found,” Darras added.

“He would,” Klea sighed. “He opposes any change from our past as it kept us safe.”

“I somehow doubt you’ll be invaded here,” Darras chuckled.

“As do I,” Klea nodded. “But old habits die hard.”

“With Elves, yes.”

“I will speak to my father and ensure that in future, any guard at the gateway is both unarmed and polite ... no matter their feelings,” Klea promised.

“Good, attacking and killing an agent of the gods will not go well for your people.”

“Yes, I understand,” Klea nodded. “Ah, they will speak to you now.”

Darras returned to the elders, escorted by Klea, though she did not enter with him. Inside, Darras noted that Elder Colsek was no longer present and had been replaced by another Dark Kin.

“We are going to review the tenets of our lore on the Jomanti blade,” the senior elder informed Darras. “This may take some time. Also, there is much opposition from a large minority of the keepers to this council doing so.”

“It was not my intent to bring strife to your people,” Darras replied.

“This we know,” the elder nodded. We will have answers for you within a month. Could I ask you to return then?”

“Of course,” Darras replied with a polite nod.

Once outside, Klea escorted Darras back to the gateway, where polite farewells were exchanged before Darras stepped into it and returned to Erren.

“Welcome back, my love,” Erren greeted Darras.

“Good to be home, though that was not the easiest of tasks you set me.”

“Their intransigence is annoying, if understandable,” Erren agreed.

“True, just glad I went, not Mirion,” Darras sighed.

“In the future, if there’s a need, I’ll send you through first,” Erren replied.

“Probably for the best, though I’m sure Balat, Klavin or Tiruk could handle themselves if necessary.”

“Yes, though only you have my protection for any acts you may commit outside of self-defence.”

“Ah, right,” Darras nodded. “Will they come through for us?”

“Yes, though currently, there is a lot of dissent from the hardliners who want nothing to do with the outside,” Erren frowned.

“Will it lead to violence?”

“Possibly, though currently, it’s just heated arguments,” Erren replied. “The hardliners are discovering that they aren’t the only ones who understand the lore of the Dark Kin, nor that they can twist it into something it isn’t meant to be.”

“I suspect they’ll be going through their entire lore,” Darras smiled.

“Yes,” Erren replied. This Elder Colsek attempted to prevent it but was deposed from the council and is now under house arrest for his intransigence.”

“Ah, so that’s what happened?” Darras asked.

“Yes, he was also censured for placing armed guards in the gateway, knowing that Mirion the agent of Hallis, could visit.”

“No doubt claiming that they were armed without his permission,” Darras sighed.

“Oh yes,” Erren smiled.

“What’s next for me?”

“Those bandits in Geeshorn have finally gone too far. You will be assisting Loria and Benevin in dealing with them,” Erren replied.

“Finally,” Darras chuckled.

“Yes, they were a minor thorn to the surrounding areas, but they raided a village in the New Territories and got Benevin’s attention focused on them.”

“I’ll make sure they regret it,” Darras promised before undressing and getting into the pool alongside Erren.

“You do that, my man.”


Unlike the last time he had visited Gosvik, Darras had no issues with the gateway official, though he was in his guise as a bounty hunter, not a trader. He made his way through the bustling town to the sheriff’s office, greeting Loria upon entering it.

“What brings you here, Darras?” Loria asked.

“To assist you and Benevin in dealing with these bandits,” Darras replied with a smile.

“No shadows?”

“I’m unsure, as is Erren,” Darras replied. “This is more in the nature of assisting friends.”

“I take it they are in bigger numbers than we thought?”

“Yes, in the region of thirty.”

“That would cause us issues,” Loria frowned. “We are only three in number, four with you involved.”

“That’s why Erren asked,” Darras smiled.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.