Sword of the Goddess - Cover

Sword of the Goddess

Copyright© 2023 by QM

Chapter 42

After eating, the group set up camp, watched as Malele and Balat conjured some living wood from the ground, and began forming it into the shape of the forest folks’ gateways. Demala, in particular, watched in rapt attention, clearly bursting with questions, though not interfering. Once the growing phase was over, Balat took pity on the young Elf and answered her queries, though Demala was only young in Elven terms as she was older than Balat by several decades. Malele was at this time praying to her goddess to intercede with Erren to open the gateway exclusively for the forest folk and those granted permission by Erren. This took some time, but finally, the Dryad finished and returned to the group looking weary though smiling.

“It is done,” she announced to the group, her voice filled with a mix of exhaustion and triumph. “The gateway is complete, a testament to our collective efforts. However, it will not be operational until the morning, as it draws its power from the magical source in this place.”

“Speedily done,” Darras nodded. “The first forest folk gateway took a lot longer.”

“It did,” Balat chuckled. “I have far more experience now, though.”

“It showed,” Darras nodded. “I take it Doriel has plans for here?”

“She does,” Balat confirmed, his voice tinged with respect. “Doriel has set her sights on lifting the curse that has plagued this place for millennia. It is a task of monumental proportions, one that will span generations and test our resolve.”

“Mostly because she can’t come in person?”

“Yes, we mortals have yet to approach the heights of the Golden Empire, never mind the First Ones,” Balat chuckled.

“I suspect, knowing Doriel, you’ll be alive to see it.”

“Possibly, though she has plans for me to take a wife.”

“To pass your lineage on,” Malele added.

“At least you have one to pass on,” Darras chuckled. “Though my daughters thrive in my original world, according to Erren.”

“You have children?” Tinara asked.

“Two daughters,” Darras replied. “Both now married, and a grandchild on the way with my eldest.”

“Does it not cause you sadness not to see them?”

“I died when the youngest was three; I don’t know them that well,” Darras sighed. “Twenty years passed from my death to my reawakening in this world.”

“Ah, I see,” Tinara nodded. “Still, you have Erren now.”

“That I do, to my abiding joy.”

I love you too, my man, ’ Erren informed Darras.


Morning came with the group observing Balat and Malele putting the final touches to the magic required to operate the gateway. Finally, the moment arrived, and the grown form took on a golden sheen before a Woodnymph emerged from it, bowing deeply to Malele and then Balat.

“Syriel?” Darras asked.

“Indeed, sir Darras, I’m pleased you remembered me.”

“You were the first Woodnymph I met; I’ll always remember you.”

“I’m honoured.”

A woodnymph came through the gateway every minute, paying their respects to Malele and Balat. Occasionally, one who knew Darras would come and greet him before joining the others. Finally, twenty had gathered, and they began to sing in harmony, a song praising Lomarris and emphasising the cycle of the seasons and its effect on the forest. And, as Darras and the Elves watched, the sanctuary of Malele slowly grew as she and the Woodnymphs poured their belief and faith in their goddess into the ground.

After an hour, their task was complete, and Doriel stepped forth from Balat to be amongst her followers in spirit. Darras and the Elves had watched enthralled as Ventris’s cleansing began, though they knew that it was only the beginning of a work of centuries.

“We can go now,” Balat said as he came over. “Doriel will probably party for a while with her followers.”

“Very well,” Darras nodded. “You’re all invited to Erren’s for food and bathing.”

“Hoped you’d say that,” Balat chuckled.

“As if you didn’t know,” Darras laughed as the group made their way over to the gateway.

“Welcome all,” Erren greeted the group when they appeared on the lawn. “A successful first scouting of Ventris.”

“We could not have done it without young Balat here and his connection to Doriel,” Firios replied. “He kept us away from the worst of that land.”

“I know, I watched,” Erren nodded, leading the way to the bathing area. “In future, though, you’ll be far more aware of the danger.”

“So, we’ll return?” Tinara asked.

“Yes, along with other Royal Scouts and the Elven scouts of other nations,” Erren replied. “Whilst it will be dangerous, the experience will stand you in good stead in the future.”

“The Fiends will unite?”

“Not for several years, but yes, they will.”

“Tornua,” Traskis asked as he eased himself into the pool.

“Yes, though King Drister is allowing Elven colonists to settle there and rule themselves by swearing allegiance to Thenarron,” Erren explained.

“From where?” Demala asked.

“Rossaris, mostly.”

“Interesting,” Firios mused. “A new Elven colony is almost unheard of.”

“The Elves of Rossaris have been undergoing population growth,” Erren smiled. “My doing by my blessing.”

“How long have you been planning this?” Darras asked, enjoying a chilled beer as Erren scrubbed him down.

“Since you found out who lived in Tornua,” Erren replied. “The only thing that will stop the Fiends from taking it are Elves, who can take the fight back to them.”

“Hence our scouting missions?” Demala asked.

“Yes.”


Their guests were gone, and Darras and Erren sat comfortably in their lounge, enjoying each other’s company.

“So, only Elves stand a chance against Fiends?” Darras asked.

“In the sense of holding them off,” Erren replied. “In the woods of Tornua, Humans would be at an extreme disadvantage.”

“Even dismounted archers?”

“Thenarron doesn’t have many of them yet.”

“Ah,” Darras nodded.

“Where am I off to next?”

“Tsurok in the far north, there’s shadow activity in the hinterlands, not the cities.”

“Wonder what they are up to? Other than exacerbating the constant disputes the local Lords seem so fond of.”

“Whatever it is, the demand for mercenaries from Courantil has gone sky-high,” Erren replied.

“Where do they get the money from?”

“Gold mines, the control over them causes a lot of ... friction between nobles and merchant guilds.”

“Oh boy,” Darras sighed. “A Darmelan paradise.”

“Not quite; she abhors chaos; this is more the machinations of Colanthus,” Erren corrected.

“An armed free-for-all?”

“Yes, pure chaos at times, but as long as it didn’t spill over and involve others, I ignored it,” Erren smiled.

“And now it is?”

“It will.”

“Oh, one of those threads?”

“Yes, Colanthus needs another slap-down as he’s allowed the shadows to stoke his little war.”

“No doubt he’ll notice if I interfere,” Darras chuckled.

“Eventually, my love, eventually.”


The forest folk gateway was in dense forest, though on the southern side of the broad, cold Scurm River. Darras was met there by the Woodnymph Cassure and guided through the thick woodlands until they reached the river, where one of Osruit’s water folk caused the river’s surface to harden, allowing them to cross. From there, Cassure led Darras to a trail through the forest, which was generally used as the main route by which the mercenary brigades marched from their training camps in Courantil. Cassure bade Darras farewell there, assuring him he would be contacted when he returned.

“Not the most colourful of places,” Darras noted when he left the forest, gazing up at the steel grey sky and feeling the cold, damp chill of the air.

A rich country though ... well, for some, ’ Erren replied.

“Excess gold can do that,” Darras chuckled.

Darras headed north, noting a few farms and villages, mostly filled with people who watched him pass with cold suspicion. Nor did he see a single tavern or market.

They have them in the mornings, and most people brew their own drink, ’ Erren explained.

“They have that much time on their hands?”

They grow food for the miners and the mercenaries, ’ Erren replied. ‘Other than at planting and harvest, there’s not much to do.

“Ah, I see,” Darras nodded.

Fortunately, Darras was able to spend a night in a farmer’s outbuilding for a reasonable price; the man requested that Darras avoid causing issues and otherwise ignored him. The outbuilding was at least draft-free, and Darras’s cloak took care of the chills as he ate a cold meal of jerky, bread, and cheese.

“No Elves?” Darras asked, more by way of company.

They tend not to be affected by the allure of gold, unlike Men or Dwarves, ’ Erren replied.

“What does affect them?”

Grudges.

“As in the Dark Kin?”

That’s one of them, but they tend to remember slights that happened hundreds of years ago, and that’s why Rossaris is still uncomfortable with Thenarron.

“Despite winning?”

Yes.

“Kind of like Elves and Dwarves?”

Very much so, though that’s more about how either species uses language.

“And likely to be ongoing for centuries,” Darras chuckled.

Yes, very true, ’ Erren giggled.


Darras set off early the following morning, the weather remaining overcast and chill, though without the signs of it potentially snowing. The farms and villages also became fewer and further between, the farms changing to livestock, primarily sheep or reindeer. Fortunately, the folk were friendly enough, and Darras easily found a place to spend the night, again in an outbuilding. The farmer also filled Darras in with what was happening up north in the mining towns.

“We stay out of it,” the man concluded. “The fighting is between miners and the retainers of squabbling nobles.”

“Sounds like a mess,” Darras nodded.

“This one’s particularly bad,” the man agreed. “There’s been killings.”

“I’ll be careful.”


The mining town looked chaotic and disorderly. There was a constant stream of traffic in and out of the place, mostly food and drink wagons going in and heavily armed and protected bullion wagons leaving.

“No wonder the local nobles have the cash to pay for mercenaries,” Darras murmured as he rented lodgings in a small clean room.

I can sense several shadows; be careful, ’ Erren warned.

“I will,” Darras nodded, divesting himself of his muddy boots before entering the room. “Not much of what I’d call mining going on, more like panning for gold.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.