Sword of the Goddess - Cover

Sword of the Goddess

Copyright© 2023 by QM

Chapter 40

Darras had returned to Rachtelin to attend the official coronation of Rigilo and Callani as the King and Queen of that land, respectively. The capital, while vibrant enough, also had an air of austerity about it, as the nation’s finances were constrained due to the wholesale looting of the former King’s Council. Still, the markets had plenty of cheap food, and the alehouses were doing good business. The only things in short supply were luxury items, which was more due to people being unable to afford them.

It was a short trip to the royal residence, even with a security check at the gate. Fortunately, Darras had a signed letter of entry from Rigilo, which enabled swift entry. A rider headed to the keep to inform Rigilo of Darras’s arrival. Darras was then met by an equerry and escorted to the family wing, where Rigilo was busy dealing with paperwork in a small office.

“Darras, my friend, welcome,” Rigilo greeted Darras, though did not rise.

“Busy with the death warrants?” Darras chuckled, making Rigilo smile.

“If only it were that easy,” Rigilo sighed. “The damned former Council destroyed most of the financial records of the Kingdom before they ran. The mess they’ve left is causing no end of problems, particularly in the demesnes of Tolner, Tremina and Trasgel where there’s no indication of taxes paid or bills paid by the crown either.”

“You may have to write off the taxes for this year,” Darras replied after some thought.

“I already have,” Rigilo nodded. Assessors are currently collating the worth and means of the demesnes with a view to the next financial year.”

“Fortunately, you’ll have a set of new nobles to assist,” Darras replied.

“Yes, that’s all sorted. I took their oaths of allegiance two weeks ago, and they’re currently getting to know their demesnes and lesser nobility.”

“Joffar?”

“Safe and sound with Baron Torgel after the formal abdication,” Rigilo chuckled. “I get a report on his health and activities once a month, though it’s rarely different from the previous month.”

“Lord Torgel took over Mirrs then?”

“He did, though I ended that Barony and simply allowed Torgel to run it under his name, not the Mirrs family.”

“A subtle insult to the family of Mirrs as well,” Darras nodded.

“Callani’s idea. I’m also looking at other demesnes to do the same,” Rigilo smiled.

“Yes, whilst you can’t erase the past, you can certainly start afresh in the future by removing any references to the taint left.”

“That pretty much sums up Callani’s thinking on the matter,” Rigilo chuckled. “Unfortunately, we couldn’t change the names of the three fortresses.”

“Yes, there isn’t a town called Mirrs,” Darras nodded.

“True, though we are doing something similar with Domfrey and dal Verris.”

“What’s the dal bit?” a curious Darras asked.

“It’s an ancient term, possibly Elven, meaning ‘from’,” Rigilo explained. “However, it refers to a region, not a town.”

“Ah, did wonder.”

“So, I take it Erren’s here in spirit to bless the coronation?”

“She will be, expect something similar to King Drister of Thenarron,” Darras replied.

“That’ll impress some of my more lukewarm nobles,” Rigilo chuckled.

“Any issues with them?”

“Just a grudging acceptance of defeat and Joffar’s abdication,” Rigilo replied.

“So, this coronation is also part of the noble conclave?” Darras asked.

“Yes, two birds with one stone, etc.” Rigilo chuckled.

“Erren says you’re heading into a golden age,” Darras replied. “Just trust your judgement ... and Callani’s.”

“I do. I wish I could get rid of all the paperwork,” Rigilo smiled.

“Is there no one else you can trust to do it?”

“At the moment, no. Some of it pertains to possible death sentences, and it’s best if I decide how they will be carried out, though I will consult Callani.”

“Yes, making the hard decisions now will pave the way to a better, more settled future,” Darras agreed.

“I believe so, too. Now, let’s get you settled with a room,” Rigilo nodded, ringing a bell on the desk.

A silent servitor led Darras to a small, comfortable room deep within the castle. Darras stored his pack there and made his way to the central hall, where he found several people he knew sitting around a large table catching up with one another.

“Darras!” Jertin hailed as he was seated next to Rienne and Callani.

“Well met, my friend,” Darras greeted Jertin. “A pleasure to see you too, Rienne, Callani.”

“She is our Queen! Show some decorum!” an aged retainer snapped.

“She is also my friend and a friend of Erren,” Darras replied. “Decorum can wait until the official ceremony tomorrow.”

“Darras is right; this is an informal meeting of friends,” Callani added. “Here, I’m just Callani.”

“Your Majesty, please, you must retain your dignity,” the retainer begged. “At least for first greetings.”

“With strangers, I will,” Callani replied mildly. “None here are strangers, and I’ve been living with Rienne for months until we finally liberated Rachtelin.”

“If you insist, your Majesty.”

“I do.”

“So, you’ve been elevated?” Darras asked Jertin.

“I have, Commander of the Royal Army,” Jertin replied. “I’m now Lord Flask of Chislem.”

“What happened to Sir Tregon?”

“He was granted permission to become lord of Torgel town. He is now a retainer of Baron Torgel and ensures the border with Ralketh and Treen is well maintained,” Rienne replied for Jertin. “You’re looking well, my friend.”

“Living with a goddess will do that for a man,” Darras chuckled. “Are the children well?”

“They are; they’re in the kindergarten at the minute.”

“Chislem? Isn’t that where Baron Mirrs resided?” Darras asked.

“When he wasn’t in the capital, yes,” Callani replied. “Duke Balen captured his residence intact.”

“Ah, Rigilo made him the Duke of Tolner?” Darras asked.

“He did, and as Duke Miront’s younger son, he has turned around the fortunes of that Dukedom from the former Duke’s incompetence,” Callani replied. “My father is now busy restoring Cranagh upon his elevation.”

“It was quite a feather in your father’s cap for his daughter to become Queen and his two sons to become Dukes during his lifetime,” Darras chuckled, making both Rienne and Jertin smile.

“It put the noses of a few traditionalists out, though their competence in running a demesne is fast overcoming such jealousy,” Callani replied.

“No doubt leading towards envy,” Darras chuckled.

“No doubt,” Callani smiled.

At this point, Liliba and Drevvis entered, hailed by those seated. “Darras, my friend, so you did come for the coronation,” Liliba said after the greetings.

“Of course, Rigilo and Callani are good friends,” Darras replied. “Erren intends to confirm their status once they are crowned.”

“Good news as it will still the whispers of Rigilo being a usurper.”

“I suspect they’ll be around for a while, no matter Erren’s appearance,” Darras smiled.

“No doubt,” Drevvis nodded.

“How are you settling in at Trasgel?” Darras asked the pair.

“I’m having to census the demesne because the tax records were destroyed before the keep was abandoned,” Drevvis sighed. It’s time-consuming and unpopular because it will mean everyone paying their fair share.”

Callani confirmed, “Balen is doing the same in Tolner,” as is Duke Ordetas in Tremina.”

“A petty act by the treacherous former Council,” Lilliba sighed.

“It was, if not unexpected,” Callani agreed.

“True, no doubt my father might have done the same in Coolos had the castle looked likely to fall,” Drevvis chuckled, making the others smile.

“Yes, a bit hypocritical of me,” Callani laughed.

“Just be thankful they ran rather than fighting to the last,” Darras smiled.

“They certainly hoped those they abandoned would,” Rienne replied. “Turned out they were none too popular with their own, either.”

“Will Rigilo go after them, as he did with Joffar?” Drevvis asked.

“Not yet; Joffar was simply to grant him legitimacy,” Callani replied. “However, we will eventually deal with Fordel and those they harbour.”

“Yes, their terms were most unfair to our farmers,” Jertin agreed. “All enabled by bribes to the former Council.”

“Has Rigilo decided on a new Council?” Rienne asked.

“The only one of significance is Count Montan,” Callani replied. “There are a couple of merchants representing the north and south, though as yet no others as those he wants on it are far too busy sorting out the mess of the war.”

“You should be on an even keel by this time next year,” Darras replied.

“I do hope so. While the kingdom avoided a financial crisis by opening up direct trade to our Elven neighbours, the loss of revenue from the south has constrained spending on the repairs needed due to the neglect of the former Council,” Callani sighed. “Rigilo was also offered a generous loan from the Forest Kingdom at well below the standard interest rate to enable the rebuilding of the docks at Cranagh.”

“That will be advantageous to the Forest Kingdom, as they are building a port on the opposite side to enable bulk sales of wood and grain,” Darras replied.

“True, but the terms were far more generous than they could have been,” Callani nodded.

“Erren asked a favour of King Leandomus,” Darras chuckled.

“Ah,” Callani smiled.

“I take it that the ceremony will be somewhat austere tomorrow?” Darras asked.

“Somewhat,” Callani nodded. “We did have to get new crowns made, however.”

“The former Council?”

“It seems likely that the Fordelian mercenaries were engaged in wholesale looting when the Council terminated their contract.”

It was the former Council, ’ Erren confirmed. ‘Former Duke Cranagh has it; he believes it will delegitimise Rigilo’s reign.

Darras passed the information on, making Callani’s eyes narrow in thought. “It won’t, but hopefully, we’ll get it back one day.”

“He’s likely to do something out of spite if that seems likely,” Jertin grimaced.

“True,” Drevvis nodded. “A petty and spiteful man.”

“Even my mother cares little for him,” Rienne admitted. “Though the death of Fosloss did make her shed a tear.”

“And you?” Darras asked.

“He may have been my brother, but he burned his bridges with me long before we met, Darras,” Rienne admitted.

“I had scant reason to like him either,” Darras nodded. “Though I wouldn’t have wished death for him.”

“You weren’t planning on his death in Lethrwy?” Jertin chuckled.

“No,” Darras smiled. “I just intended to chastise him for his rudeness by making moving an agony for up to a month.”

“He did demand your death,” Rienne replied.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.