Sword of the Goddess - Cover

Sword of the Goddess

Copyright© 2023 by QM

Chapter 36

“Next mission?” Darras asked.

“Out west, the Gorfey, in the Kingdom of Asul,” Erren replied. “I need you to deal with a merchant slaver who is blocking the passing of a town bill of emancipation for its slaves.”

“Shadows?”

“Not that I can tell. However, he’s instituted a subtle reign of terror, which needs to be dealt with as Gorfey will be the spark that lights the flame of reform in Asul.”

“I’ll see it done,” Darras nodded. “Gateway?”

“You’ll have to use the one in Teelin and then travel by horse, I’m afraid,” Erren smiled.

“It is what it is,” Darras shrugged, then kissed Erren. “I will miss you.”

“I’ll miss you too, but this needs doing, and it’s likely to be both bloody and convoluted.”

“Innocents?”

“Not on his side, but he’s holding hostages, so be careful.”

“I will.” Darras nodded. “Are they all beyond redemption?”

“His inner core is, but his outer core will not hesitate to strike you down if they think you an enemy.”

“I’ll try to render them ineffective, if possible,” Darras sighed.

“Good, but not at the endangerment of your own life, please.”

“Understood,” Darras replied, hugging Erren. “I take it help is not available?”

“No, none of our friends are suited to the chaos and violence ongoing and likely would be in extreme danger.”

“Even Klavin?”

“Even Klavin,” Erren chuckled. “He’s good in a fixed fight but not in the sort of bar brawl violence you’ll be involved with.”

“Ah, he plans too much,” Darras laughed.

“Yes, whereas you react,” Erren smiled.

“No doubt you’ll put me back together when I’m finished,” Darras replied.

“I very well may have to do on this one,” Erren nodded. “Just try not to get yourself killed.”

“I’ll do my best,” Darras promised.


Teelin was a pleasant enough coastal town at the mouth of the Turil River. Mainly a fishing port, it also had a small if burgeoning trade in lumber floated down the river from various villages. On advice from Erren, Darras paid for a seat on a coach heading upriver to Gorfey, including a bed for two nights at the Asulian waystations.

This was a tedious journey, as the other passengers could have been more communicative. Darras was not about to talk aloud to Erren in such company, much to Erren’s amusement. The waystations were comfortable enough, the food and ale being of good quality and reasonably priced. What was noticeable, though, was the number of ordinary folk travelling out of Gorfrey and who all warned of rising tensions escalating into occasional violence. All this Darras eavesdropped on, along with Erren, mostly looking for names and instigators. The coachman announced he would drop all passengers off at the town gate as he would not be entering the town due to the ‘troubles’, something the other passengers grumbled about, though accepted as more and more foot travellers heading in the opposite direction told them of a potentially serious problem ahead.

From a distance, Gorfrey looked like a nice-appearing town. This was only occasionally marred by plumes of smoke rising from various districts that were not household fires. At the gate, the guard warned passengers who alighted not to enter certain districts, citing violence and robbery incidents on the unwary.

‘Seems a bit more than jostling for power,” Darras murmured to Erren.

Yes, whilst it hasn’t descended into rioting, it’s got out of control, ’ Erren agreed.

“Nothing from the various priests?”

Mine are coping with the injured, as are those of Hallis, ’ Erren replied. ‘Both Temple and Healer Halls being declared neutral territory for all factions.

“Glad they are respecting that,” Darras nodded.

So am I, my love.

Darras made his way to a temple Erren recommended as being at the centre of most of the troubles. He passed several groups of men and youths at various junctions, keeping an eye out for trouble and, with some, the hope of joining in. Most eyed Darras with suspicion, though none approached, as Darras’s size and development gave them pause.

“Sure glad you keep me fit, my lady,” Darras chuckled.

It works out here and in our bedroom, ’ Erren giggled, making Darras blush slightly.

The priest was an older man who looked slightly put upon if exuding an air of authority. He was, however, pleased to meet Darras and explain what was happening.

“It’s all the fault of Galvey and his faction,” Lamma informed Darras. “They correctly see this as the town interfering in their slaving business and have attacked various of the councillors and their guards who are supporting the proposal to ban slavery in the town and environs.”

“And it’s escalated from there?”

“It has, as a whole nest of corruption from the more venal councillors, was brought into the open by the reform councillors, which just hardened attitudes and increased the violence from both sides,” Lamma sighed.

“I’ll be taking the side of reform,” Darras replied. “Erren opposes slavery in all its forms.”

“Good, Galvey and his like have grown rich on the suffering of others!”

“It’s likely to mean much work for you and the Healers.”

“I understand. Be safe, and may her protection always be upon you,” Lamma blessed Darras.

He didn’t appear sympathetic with the reform faction, ’ Erren observed.

“I think he’s just tired of the violence on both sides spilling over onto his congregation,” Darras replied.

Hmm, probably, and his prayers to me have been both consistent with a desire for the troubles to end.

“It’s time to find some trouble and stop it,” Darras grimly stated. Point me at the right side.”

I will. Head to the town centre. There’s a gathering of thugs there. You’ll need to deal permanently with their leader, ’ Erren advised.

The town centre was crowded, in a sense. This was mainly around two sides of the square, with two groups of men eyeing each other up and a stream of townsfolk hurriedly crossing the gap between. It was also apparent that several were there to watch.

“Town guard has been bribed?” Darras asked.

Afraid. They were set upon by Galvey’s men and severely beaten in most cases, ’ Erren replied. ‘Their captain was killed.

“I’ll make them pay for that,” Darras firmly replied.

Just be careful. Your armour is good, but some are skilled fighters with swords.

“I will, my love.”

Good. Galvey’s people are to the right, but be aware the others are just as vicious.

“No doubt made that way by the violence,” Darras sighed.

Some of them, others were that way to begin with, if constrained by their employers.

“What a mess.”

Yes, it’s why you’re here.

Darras deliberately wandered over to Galvey’s men’s side, then leant back against a wall and insolently watched them. This soon provoked a reaction as several burly thugs came over and asked him his business.

“Just here for the entertainment,” Darras drawled. “It’s fun watching amateurs pose.”

One of the men drew a club and went to threaten Darras, only to succumb to a kick to the groin in return, leaving him gasping and in agony on the ground.

“The hell!” the leader bellowed, only to take a sucker punch to the stomach, causing him to retch up his previous meal.

This started a general melee, with Darras being attacked by the initial group, followed by others in the Galvey group. Darras dodged fists, kicks, and blunt weapons with seeming ease, and every blow to his opponents left the man on the ground in severe pain.

In this, Darras was aided to an extent by Erren, who kept a lookout for blows and healed what few got to him, though less quickly than a priest or healer could. The pressure came off somewhat when the men representing the moderates on the council charged across the town square to take advantage of the affray. This enabled Darras to take out those opposing him, using killing blows on those Erren indicated as irredeemable.

That’s him, Stannic, Galvey’s senior bodyguard, ’ Erren warned when Darras’s eyes closed on a man directing others where to go. ‘Be careful; he’s psychopathic and has a high pain tolerance.

“I will,” Darras gasped as a blow across his shoulder rocked him.

Turning, Darras punched his assailant in the jaw, breaking it and killing the man by driving the broken bones up into his brain. Darras then charged the men around Stannic, knocking two over and using his heel to crush their chests, leaving him facing Stannic. Stannic was clearly no coward as he immediately attacked Darras with a drawn knife. Darras also realised that the man knew how to use it as he didn’t overextend and kept to short jabs and slashes. However, compared to the training Erren had given Darras, Stannic was woefully slow in his reactions, and neither was he as strong.

Still, Stannic was able to slash at Darras’s garb but soon realised that it was armoured with some mail, along with protective plates of some kind. This made him more cautious as he retreated slowly, avoiding Darras’s fists and yelling for aid from his men. Darras had, however, chosen his mode of attack wisely, and all of Stannic’s men were preoccupied with dealing with the opposition, with no one hearing his calls for help.

“Who the hell are you?” Stannic finally gasped. “You’re not one of those pussies opposing us!”

“Just someone who hates slavery and who will bring down Galvey for his attempt to keep it legal here,” Darras grimly replied.

“Guess I’ll have to kill you then,” Stannic snarled, drawing a second blade.

“Better than you have tried.”

“Die, scum!” Stannic yelled, launching a weaving attack directly at Darras’s face.

Darras finally saw his chance, and rather than dodge the attack, he stepped forward, dodging one blade to grab the arm, holding the second and bringing his knee up to break the arm. This caused Stannic to give a yell of agony as he dropped the knife, though the backslash from the other cut Darras’s cheek open. This just delayed the inevitable as Darras reacted to grab the arm and throw Stannic to the ground, winding the man. This left Stannic dazed and exposed, and Darras was able to use the knife Stannic had dropped to stab upward under Stannic’s jaw and despatch him with ease. Darras then moved away from the melee, using a cloth to stem the blood flow, and returned to the temple for total healing.

Well done, my Darras, ’ Erren congratulated her man.

“Got away with it, though I doubt he’s the only one,” Darras murmured.

He isn’t; he’s just the worst of them, ’ Erren confirmed. ‘The good news is that no one noticed you despatching Stannic, though several know your face now, so be careful.

“I will, though it’s not like I’ll be able to avoid them totally,” Darras nodded.

True, though I believe you can deal with this.

Darras was permitted immediate entry to the healing circle in the temple by Lamma, who, though shocked, clearly was expecting Darras. The temple healer quickly called upon Erren to aid his art in closing the cut to Darras’s cheek and repairing the bruising and other hurts Darras had sustained.

“You did well, Darras. Galvey’s men are in shock over Stannic’s death,” Lamma informed Darras after the healing.

“That news got about quick,” Darras chuckled.

“One of the healers at the guild passed the message on,” Lamma replied. “None of the bravos involved in the dispute are welcome here.”

“Understandable,” Darras nodded. “Though you’ll no doubt treat their innocent victims?”

“We do; Erren guides my vision on this, as she always has.”

True, I do, ’ Erren added to Darras with a hint of a smile.

“She approves of you,” Darras told Lamma, shocking the priest.

“I ... I’m glad, though I never expected to be answered directly.”

“Lamma, you have served me faithfully under trying circumstances,” Erren’s voice came from Darras’s throat. “You have kept to my tenets as written in my book and have the town’s respect in doing this.”

“Thank you, my goddess,” Lamma replied. “It is a joy to serve you.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.