Riley's World - Cover

Riley's World

Copyright© 2023 by radio_guy

Chapter 47

We planted a late crop using a field on Joe’s property. Joe and I with help from our wives were trying look into the future and figure out what we should do to optimize our future. We didn’t find any magic solutions.

Joe said, “We know the aliens wiped out most of our cities and landed to take out any small groupings of people but, until we searched all those houses, it just hadn’t been driven home to me.”

Sheila asked, “Riley, do you think the rest of the world is as bad off?”

“Alex thinks the rest of the world is worse off. He bases that on our level of technology before the aliens came and the lack of signals from around the world. I’m not sure if he’s right but it makes some kind of sense.”

“Riley, do you agree with that hypothesis?”

“Joe, not totally but it does make sense. Except for Europe and America, wiping out capitols gets a lot of a country’s people and technology. It’s not what I want to believe but it follows some sense. However, I don’t know of any good way to confirm it or question it.”

Joe nodded. “I guess that still leaves us trying to figure out how to best operate here.”

Sheila said, “I think we need to determine how to provide for food, power, and police/military protection for this area as we might define it. We will also have to learn to farm and open schools as more children and teens become part of our community.”

Sarah said, “Boo, we need schools that are more practical as well as theoretical.”

I said, “Sarah, please expand on that statement.”

“Okay, school, before the aliens, was theory without any practical applications. School needs to start back but we need to learn how to shoot, how to farm, and how to build. There’s a place for theory but it needs to be related to real life. I remember using Algebra to solve word problems and knowing where things are makes geography useful. On the other hand, we were taught ‘proper’ Spanish that the Mexicans I met didn’t really understand. We learned how to dissect a frog but were taught nothing about sex.”

Nancy and Joe looked a bit surprised but I wasn’t. I had found that my foster daughter was sharp and thoughtful beyond her years. Sheila just nodded. It did start a conversation about school which was a good idea. We decided that we agreed with Sarah. None of us were professional educators. I suspected we would get some push-back from any that we might have as part of our community. I mentioned that to the rest and we moved ahead with creating a curriculum for teens through sixteen years.

Sarah summed up the education issue. “We have a plan and I can sell it. I will need for Riley Dad to drive me over to that house and provide support. I will talk to them. It’s time to end that little group’s tenure before there’s a tragedy internally.” She and Sheila looked at me so I nodded.

“Riley Dad, what do we need to do about food?”

“Sarah, the stores aren’t getting any deliveries. We are all going to have to become farmers. Joe and I started a late crop of potatoes, carrots and other vegetables for which we had seeds to try our luck. We’re going to follow the instructions for all those crops and see what happens. We’re both pretty good butchers and will take deer and rabbits as we have the opportunity. Right now, we have freezer space available as long as there’s power. We’’re going to have to get used to game animals because cattle are too few to kill right now.

Sarah moaned theatrically, “Don’t shoot Bambi and Thumper!”

Joe grinned, “Only if they eat my crops. Besides, they’re good eating.”

“Eww! I don’t want to eat Bambi!”

He grinned. “You’ll change your tune when you taste a deer steak from my grill.”

Having eaten one of Joe’s deer steaks, I grinned, too. “Seriously, what do we need to consider about farming that we don’t know?”

Nancy said, “There’s a lot to know about farming and I don’t think we even know how much we don’t know. I think we need to find some literature about basic farming.”

I nodded and said, “I agree but I’m not sure where to find it. Looking will be a necessity. I know there is some information at some of the stores. There might be a library we can access.”

Sheila said, “That gives us two projects for right now. Take Sarah over to the old house and try to bust that up gently. Second, find information on farming and study it for next year’s growing season.”

I said,, “Sarah, I’ll take you there. Do we need reinforcements in case someone wants to shoot?”

“Riley Dad, I think Uncle Joe, at least, should be there. I will wear armor just in case. I don’t expect much trouble initially. It’s when people want out that trouble may start. Owen won’t like that. I may need the threat of some muscle to keep him from violence.”

The next day, we were to go out to the house with Sarah directing. Joe and I got out the Hummer. Sarah had donned Nancy’s armor that fit her since she’s a bit tall and Nancy’s a bit shorter than average. We pulled out and went over to the house where we met Sarah. I wasn’t sure what we’d find and don’t think Sarah knew either.

We pulled into the drive and saw one girl who was younger that Sarah. As Sarah got out, she said, “I will go in. I have a radio on. Monitor it and come if I call.” She walked forward saying, “Janey, is everyone else inside?”

“Except for Owen and Kathy. I’m the sentinel today. The rest are locked up inside. Owen has gotten paranoid since you left and the power came back.”

“Why lock them up?”

“So they can’t leave. Owen has started to have sex with some. They don’t seem to like him doing that. Emily kicked him after he forced her and hurt her. Now, she’s tied up most of the time.”

“Okay, I’m going in and will release everyone. I was afraid my leaving would start problems.” She looked over at me. “Riley Dad, you and Uncle Joe watch for Owen. Honk if he shows and be ready for trouble.” I nodded and she went inside.

Quickly three girls came out with two helping the third. They were scantily dressed. I thought to myself that things had changed from last time and not for the better. Joe was manning the machine gun so I got out and opened a rear door helping them inside. More came out until there was a crowd waiting to squeeze inside the Hummer. We needed another vehicle. After a few minutes, a pickup truck came around a corner of the house being driven by a girl. It was loaded including the bed. It was then that Owen and Kathy drove down the drive in another pickup.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.