Riley's World - Cover

Riley's World

Copyright© 2023 by radio_guy

Chapter 41

The ride around and questioning of the prisoners and women we rescued was completed quickly. I thought all that was good. It was late afternoon and Sheila came to me. “It’s time for supper and then rest. Tomorrow, we stay here and decide where to go and why.”

I smiled and said, “Yes, Dear.” Joe chuckled. We went over to help with the meal. We sat down as a small group as usual to eat and talk. Alex joined us with Melissa. They were holding hands. We spent time talking about our success today. Then, the discussion moved to our next step.

Sheila and Nancy wanted to retire to the Atlanta area and begin housekeeping. Nancy said, “We’ve accomplished everything we started out to do and more. It’s time to find a place to call home. Despite where all we have been, that’s still going to have the best climate and is reasonably close to the rest of the world.”

Melissa said, “That area sounds good to me, too. I think Alex and I could put down roots there. I think it’s time to stop fighting and start building.” Next to me, Sheila smiled and nodded.

The next morning, we gathered everyone together to talk about future. Alex had set up mikes spread about the big room to assist people in being heard.

I opened the meeting. “Ladies and gentlemen, I have called this meeting for the purpose of talking about our future. Our current situation is that we have not found any signs of the aliens in the old US nor elsewhere. We have embarked upon this latest expedition to get people loose from local, petty dictators. That process has, as you know, met with success. We, Joe and I, started this group to rid us of aliens. We didn’t plan to be policemen for the continent. I think we need to talk about what we want for our future or futures.

“To give you an idea, Sheila and I are from the Atlanta area. We desire to return to that area to settle permanently. The area has a great climate and we plan on farming. It’s going to take a while and a lot of work to rebuild this country. Going back to our roots as an agricultural community is likely a necessity. We are open to others who might want to join us.

“Now, let’s hear from people who want to do something, else somewhere.” I looked out over the crowd and saw hands raised to be recognized. “When you are recognized, give your name and squad leader’s name first.”

Joe grinned as I pointed at him. “Nancy and I have talked to you. We plan to go to Atlanta with you. I’m Joe and a company commander.”

I picked another after nodding at Joe. “I’m Greg and a member of Marcy’s squad. I don’t think any of us have been to Atlanta to live but there’s nothing back where we came from. I think settling in that area with Riley and Joe as neighbors would be good. I want to try that.”

I recognized Margaret. She said, “I’m Margaret, the other company commander. I’ve thought about the issues like Riley is talking about. I’m not a farmer and was career sales management before the aliens came. I’m willing to lead a smaller group that is willing to police a large area. I think a new purpose would be to protect freedom, particularly for those without the strength to successfully defend themselves.”

“I’m Jed and a squad leader. I was a farmer and want to return to Virginia and rebuild my farm. I appreciate what I’ve learned and plan to retain my weapon for protection as I might need it.”

I continued to recognize people. After a while, it became obvious that there were two major groups with one minor sub-group. Most wanted to farm either at the Atlanta area or at the area from which they joined. The other major group was willing to join Margaret in policing the country.

I noticed that Margaret’s group included a large number of our younger people who were orphaned by events and had no roots other than the group. Stephanie was in that group but Marvin, Joe’s scout squad leader was not. He wanted to join Joe and I in farming in the Atlanta area. The make-up of the groups was different from what I had imagined but it was what it was.

I felt that Margaret would lead the policing group. Joe and I would lead a sizable group to the Atlanta area. Others would lead small groups to various locations for future farms. I wrapped up and added, “Folks, I want every group to be sure they have radios. We’ll chase down some more radios, if we need them, but I want us to be able to stay in touch. I don’t know when, if ever, cell-phone or similar communications will be re-established. Finally, coordinate with your immediate supervisor about leaving and where you intend to go. There are no limits on where but we don’t want to lose touch with anyone as we all go about our lives.”

We had separated out and I noticed that Margaret was meeting with Stephanie and others to form her police group. Sheila and I went with Joe and Nancy and some others to get our evening meal. Once food was gathered and cooked, we sat down together to eat and talk.

Alex was with us and said, “A number of my folk are talking about working with Margaret and policing. They don’t have any roots left anywhere and never farmed. To me, I can understand their view and will make sure they are well-supplied with parts and tools. My concern is what they’ll do in a few years for compensation.”

“That is a long-range concern to me also. Joe and I have talked about this move with our wives while riding. We have picked an area south and east of where Atlanta used to be. Both Joe and I lost houses and loved ones from the attack. Neither of us were farmers before but both of us know about farming and feel we’ll do well.”

Alex asked, “Where is this area, Riley?”

“It’s out I-20 east and a bit south of the Interstate at the Covington area. There is a rural area down there that is pretty though the aliens had gone through it pretty roughly. We figure there will be a number of vacant houses. We’ll just work through what we find when we get there. The reason we picked the area was that it was good for farming and the climate is good.”

Marvin from Joe’s scout squad and Jack from Margaret’s weapons squad were with us and listening avidly. Jack said, “I’ve ridden through that area when riding a bicycle with a group. It is a lovely area and I think we will do well there.”

We finished our meal and headed our separate ways. Margaret cornered me. “Riley, there’s two guys that are going to survive questioning. I will shoot the rest. The women they had are badly beaten down but will improve with time. Is that good with you?”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.