Riley's World - Cover

Riley's World

Copyright© 2023 by radio_guy

Chapter 39

We rode into Alabama on a beautiful day. We arrived at the point to split off and Joe’s two squads left us and one of Margaret’s squads took over point. Alex had talked to Gary, the guy in Huntsville, telling him our proposed “official” route.

Our main party was on our main route which was where we were expected. We hoped that our other two groups would be able to help us avoid a problem.

We went a few miles further before turning back on an Interstate connection road. It was a few miles more to Huntsville itself. We had heard both our other squad groups approach what both warned as an ambush. We pulled over claiming a flat tire and stopped.

From reports, both sides of the Interstate ahead of us had ambushes. We braced a bit and told both groups to go ahead with their program.

Over the radio, I heard Stephanie say, “Groups along sides of the road, you are covered by our guns. If you don’t want to die, you might lift your hands without weapons.” It was quiet for a minute when Stephanie said, “Okay, good luck and good bye. Fire!” We could hear the gun fire and explosions. I winced from its ferocity glad it wasn’t directed my way. Stephanie shouted, “Cease fire!” It quieted quickly. She then said, “Survivors, come out with your hands in the air.”

It was quiet and then we heard, “There’s only three of you left. Out of eight, you made it through. You on the other side of the road, you’re covered. Mike’s ready to wipe you out. This is your chance to surrender and live. What do you want to do?” A moment later, she said, “The two of you trying to crawl away should stop while you can. Otherwise, you’ll be in pieces.” It was quiet again. Stephanie said, “Put a burst in front of them so they’ll listen.”

We heard one of our machine guns fire a quick burst. Mike’s voice rang out, “Like Stephanie said, now’s your chance to live. Take it. I won’t count, just shoot.”

Apparently, they believed him. In a low voice, she said that they were coming out with their hands up and no guns. We heard, “Is that all of you?” There was a pause. “Okay. Mike, fire it up.” We heard mortar fire along with two loud explosions.

We had been approaching and saw the captives standing in the road with their hands raised. I said, “Point, ID to Stephanie and drive in. Take over handling the prisoners for her. Stephanie, once relieved, move forward while we talk to them.”

Sheila and I were fourth in line so we could see what was happening. I saw Melody’s squad take over the prisoners and we drove up. Getting out, I moved forward. “Who’s Gary?”

It was quiet for a few moments. Finally, one man said, “He’s dead.”

“That’s unfortunate, for him. What is your name?”

“J-John.”

“John, tell us about your group.”

He said, “And if I don...” Melody’s pistol being cocked at the back of his head was loud. He gave a little sickly grin. “And I don’t mind if I do. Gary got us together after Huntsville was destroyed. He set the rules. I didn’t like him much but it worked and his rules kept us from getting another attack from the aliens. We took over two other smaller gangs and he ruled over us all. He managed how we treated women. That was my problem with him but I had no female alive around here.”

Sheila asked, “Was this all of your fighters?”

“Yes, though there are at least two guards where the women are kept. They aren’t really fighters.”

I said, “Margaret, get a squad headed for that place. You,” I picked another, “where do they need to go?” After some precise directions, a squad left.”

Ten minutes later, we heard from Anna, the squad leader sent by Margaret, “It’s over. We’re fine as are the former prisoners. One guard made the fatal mistake of resisting. We’re returning with company.”

Margaret nodded. “She’s good. That’s why she’s a squad leader. She’s a buddy of Stephanie. If I didn’t want her as a squad leader, she would have been with Stephanie’s squad.”

I said, “You seem to have a number of people who could lead a squad. That’s good.”

Margaret smiled. “I have emphasized to all my leaders that they should be training and encouraging their replacements. Stephanie is one of mine.”

“I guess I should get to know her and Alice.”

Sheila said, “Okay, I see we have prisoners and former captives. It’s time for questions.”

Nancy added, “And answers.”

I walked over to the prisoners and said, “I’m Riley Norris, the leader of this group. You are prisoners and had intended to ambush us as we came at Gary’s request. For that reason, your lives are forfeit. Based upon answers, some of you might survive questioning.

“Now, does any of you desire to refuse to answer questions?” None of them moved or even blinked. “Stephanie, pick a volunteer.” Stephanie picked the largest guy in the group, holstered her piston, and pushed him forward. He turned on her. She grinned, “If you want to hurt, I will do that.”

He looked at her and grinned. “I think I’ll cop a feel while I throw you around.”

“Come on, little boy.” He came at her in a rush. Before he got close, she seemed to shift position and he flew through air to land in front of me.

I looked down at him and said, “That didn’t work very well. Do you want to try again?”

He had moved to his hands and knees and shook as his head as if he were trying to clear it. “I don’t think she can do that again.”

Stephanie said, “Get up and come after me. We’ll just have to see.” He stood and shook himself again. He came at Stephanie who put him down a little harder this time. He bounced when he hit the floor. She grinned, “That didn’t work either.”

I picked back up saying, “Stephanie, while your first volunteer comes to, please pick another volunteer to answer questions.”

She picked a smaller man who looked muscular. She motioned at him and said, “You just volunteered. Step forward and talk or hurt.” He stepped forward quickly.

I asked, “What’s your name and your history?”

“My name is Mark Jones. Before the aliens came, I was a technician but was sick the day of the attack. My roommate and I laid low when the aliens showed up shooting people. I was better three days later and we went out. He was shot by the aliens then when we stopped to look around. I worked out before the aliens came and continued to do that at my home gym. When Gary’s group came around, I joined up. I was lonesome. However, I was trying to figure out how to leave them because lonesome would be better than bad.”

Stephanie asked, “What do you mean?”

He answered, “I knew I couldn’t out-draw Gary and getting caught leaving was an automatic death sentence. He treated everyone poorly.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.