Riley's World - Cover

Riley's World

Copyright© 2023 by radio_guy

Chapter 38

We all nodded.

She said, “We always come in with a lead car or two but otherwise all together. On top of that, the Humvees couldn’t sneak up on a rock. I think we need a car to go much further in front. When closing on an area that we suspect contains a group or groups of questionable or worse people, I want to get some people out on foot. The front car would be like one of our point persons but ready for trouble and pretty much able to defend itself from surprises. Our normal point car would be too far back to help so they would be on their own and need some serious armament. They might have to hold out for as long as a number of hours before they would receive help.

“That would be for normal travel. When approaching an area like Huntsville, we would have a more lightly armed group going out further in advance on foot. Their purpose would be to locate any ambushes without triggering them so our advance car can be ready and even call up help. I’m still working out the details but that’s the general idea.”

I smiled and said, “We’re all on the same page. Let’s talk over a solution that uses both companies or either one.”

As we talked through each company commander’s solutions, we found that we were very close in our thinking. As the discussion progressed, I decided that Margaret’s squads were better set for recon and a serious fight while Joe’s squads were more aggressively manned.

Finally, I said, “Let’s get the four squad leaders involved in this discussion and the planning. That’s even more true since we need this to work as we approach Huntsville.”

It took about half an hour to gather all four of the squad leaders for the discussion to continue. Margaret’s recon squad was out in the field. While we waited, I said, “I think we might split each two squad pair off into their own platoon directly under the company commander.”

Margaret grinned. “I had already detached both squads to guide them directly.”

Joe smiled. “Both of mine are in a separate platoon that doesn’t yet have a platoon leader. I like the idea of me having charge of something directly.”

It was about twenty minutes later when three of the squad leaders joined us. The only one missing was Stephanie, the squad leader for Margaret’s scouting squad. She joined us about five minutes later. She was a stunner. She was tall, blond, with a gorgeous figure that her shorts and tee shirt emphasized, not that such emphasis was necessary. Her voice was soft and melodious when she said, “Margaret, what’s happening?”

Margaret said, while grinning, “Stephanie, we’ve been talking about a scouting and weapons point squads platoon. Riley wanted to talk to the squad leaders for preparing for our trip to Huntsville.”

I said, “Thanks for meeting with us. I had the same thought that Margaret and Joe had each had separately. I wanted squads set up for scouting and for heavy weapons to be leads for us when we travel. When I approached Margaret and Joe, I found that each of them had done just that. This meeting is to formalize the existence of your squads and plan for us all to work together particularly as we approach Huntsville.

“Alex of our radio group has decided that the Huntsville situation is a trap. We want a way to avoid the trap and trap the trappers. Your squads will be the leaders in making that happen.”

Stephanie grinned and said, “I can walk in and will attract their attention. They will be surprised when they try something with me.”

Jack, the squad leader for the weapons squad in Joe’s company, said, “You have an attention getting figure. Hopefully, you know martial arts.’

She smiled. “I haven’t been beaten yet. Perhaps, we’ll just have to try a match.”

Jack bowed while still seated. “I think that might be interesting.”

I said, “That’s one idea. What others are there?”

Stephanie grinned and said, “There’s always the old sneak in and get ‘em method.”

Jack said, “There’s the walk a mortar in and flush ‘em out if they survive method, too.”

I grinned. “I was thinking about being a bit more subtle than that. However, I would consider that a valid possibility in certain cases.”

Joe said, “What brought this on is the realization that our traveling is not subtle and that a little quietness is going to be smart as we close on the Huntsville area. Alex thinks the guy we’re talking with is laying a trap for us.”

Stephanie said, “Let’s look at some maps and make some plans. Should we infer that they will be able to listen to our talk over the handi-talkies?”

“Alex tells me that’s so and the mere presence of a signal with them will tell anyone listening that someone is in the area and doing something. We’re going to have to think this through carefully. This will be the first time that bad guys will be able to listen in and perhaps know something just by hearing us.” I looked at Sheila. “Sheila, get Alex, please. We need him for the radios.”

We relaxed for a few minutes until Sheila brought him back to where we were meeting. I said, “Alex, we had a radio question come up and need your thinking.”

He looked interested and Stephanie said, “We are talking about our approach to the Huntsville area and wondered if we could be heard on our handi-talkies.”

Alex nodded. “Yes, if they have the proper radio. Also, the proper radios were popular. When we programmed them, we used the best known frequency but also programmed in some other frequencies for our use. However, they can be found by a knowledgeable operator. There is no set up for anything like that in the radios. It’s just the way they are made.”

Stephanie said, “We need the radios to coordinate when not close together. Can you suggest anything for us. We’re setting up a couple of squads to sneak around.”

Alex said, “In World War Two, Navajos were used to talk on radios in their language. However, that’s not a solution for us here and now. I can only suggest that we use code locations and phrases. Even then, someone can listen and know something is going on.”

It was quiet. I thought a bit and then said, “They’re going to know we’re coming so will expect radio traffic. What they will hear we can control and shape. For instance, they are expecting us to roll in using vehicles so hearing references to a ‘car one’ and a ‘car two’ will not be out of place. Talking about automotive issues also won’t surprise them. Engine trouble and tire trouble cane be code for other issues. We’ll just need to think it out.” I looked at Alex. “How likely is it that they will use a directional antenna?”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.