Riley's World - Cover

Riley's World

Copyright© 2023 by radio_guy

Chapter 32

I also changed the leaders’ meeting. It was now the Company Commanders and their Platoon Leaders. I did manage to get out and make sure the Platoon Leaders were spreading the word which they were. We stayed in one place for three weeks as Joe worked with Alex to gather information and set a hot spot hoping to draw a strike. It was quiet. I hoped but didn’t believe the aliens were gone.

Alex had heard nothing and our heat source drew no response. Alex was particularly concerned since he had picked up no alien sounds at all. He told me that he couldn’t figure it out because there was no reason to believe that the aliens might think we were listening to them.

I called a meeting of the Company commanders and Platoon Leaders. I said, “Ladies and gentlemen, as most of you are aware, we can find nothing on the aliens. We have no leads on any alien bases. While we continue to search for aliens, what should we do and where should we do it?”

Marcy said, “Chief?” I nodded. “Would Alex tell us more about what he was hearing on the radio with the aliens and what’s gone now?”

I nodded at Alex. He said, “We had found a certain sound on our radios around six megahertz that we had identified with the aliens. That included two different rocket attacks and some base to base contacts. The fact that we could detect these signals would not be known by the aliens. Our radios use different areas of frequencies for communications. Since we took out the base close to here, those sounds have been totally missing.”

“Could they have gone to another place for their radio talk, Alex?”

“Yes, we thought of that. We have been searching all of the electromagnetic spectrum and have not been able to find them.” Marcy nodded.

I said, “We’re continuing to look for aliens but the question remains, What should we be doing and what are our long-range goals? That’s even more true if the aliens are gone.”

Joe said, “That’s right. You started this group to wipe out the aliens. We haven’t looked beyond that point up to now.”

I said, “That’s correct because we didn’t know if we could do it. Now, we must look further into the future.”

Marcy said, “I joined the group to stop the aliens and because the group also protected women. In this current world, that is important.”

Margaret said, “We need to take the lead in rebuilding our country. We are probably the best organized fighting force in this country. Also, we need to do it because no one else can. I’m sure the LRA can’t be the only bad group around. We should continue to take the lead in doing what is right.”

Harry said, “I’m in agreement. We know, because we’ve been there, that there is no government in Washington. I think we have an opportunity to lead the country back. It’s going to take a long time and a lot of work to get things right but, like Margaret said, if not us, then who? We are clearly in the lead and should stay that way as we build people and communities.”

I said, “Okay. We seem to be in general agreement on our future activities. Let’s think on what those activities should look like. I would like a one year plan and some five year goals. Now, my question is do we think on this or go to our groups and get back together tomorrow?”

Margaret said, “I know I would like to talk with some of our people and probably bring a couple to our next meeting.”

I smiled and said, “So be it. We will get back together at lunchtime tomorrow.:

Everyone left but Joe and his spouse and my spouse. Sheila asked, “What do you expect for tomorrow, Riley?”

“I expect some good ideas to surface. I think that a method to move to democracy will be good. We will need to find a new site for a capitol. It will be interesting to hear about thoughts about future methods of governing.”

“Are you concerned about the more radical ideas that may surface?”

“Not really. There are variations on democracy but nothing else works well. Besides, any proposal will have to be voted upon by everyone in our entire group. I trust the majority to not vote away their rights. Fighting for something makes people care about it.”

Sheila and I spent the day and evening quietly with Joe and Nancy. In the morning, we had breakfast together and then walked over to the meeting area. The same group plus about twenty others were at this meeting. I thought this should be as interesting as I had figured.

I said, ‘I now convene this meeting. First, please understand that I will establish some ground rules. The first is that no final decision will come from this meeting. Sheila will organize the ideas. They will be presented to everyone who is signed up to fight and all may vote. Second, we will be civil with each other. People may have very different ideas but we will listen with open minds. Finally, we will be orderly. This group has always been run on military lines and that will continue to be true.

“First, I want a report from Alex on his radio listening efforts.”

Joe motioned Alex to stand. He stood and said, “I’ll give a quick report of our efforts. We of the radio group have been listening for the aliens on the frequency that they had used. We have also been listening all through the radio spectrum and have heard no sounds of the aliens. We have heard and talked with two new groups, one in California and the other in Oregon. Both were reporting that they hadn’t seen or heard an alien in weeks. From all of our efforts and those of others, we have determined that the aliens have no current presence in North America. We have not found any presence by our radios on other continents.”

“Thank you, Alex. That report shows another reason why we are having this discussion. This group appears to need a new reason to exist. Please note that I want us to continue to watch for aliens but we need to think further than we have before.

“Margaret, who do you have with a proposal?”

“I guess the first one is Janice.” I nodded.

“I’m Janice and joined after you wiped out the alien base in Ohio. I’ve talked with some of the others who joined with me and we wish to present the following proposal. Our proposal is for a new United States with a capital in Kansas so it would be more centrally located. There would be one senator per state. The House would be apportioned by population but would only have one hundred members with some members representing more than one state. The...”

I said, “Janice, obviously, you have thought this out. Please put it in writing and give a copy to Sheila. She will distribute all proposals to every person.” I grinned. “It will tax our copying abilities pretty much to do that.”

Margaret introduced another person with a proposal. “I am George and joined before we left Georgia. I propose that Riley runs things as King and selects his successor. He will place the capitol anywhere he wants it. I will write this up and give it to Sheila for copying and to hand out.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.