Riley's World - Cover

Riley's World

Copyright© 2023 by radio_guy

Chapter 29

Sheila and Margaret returned in an hour to tell me what was happening. Margaret said, “We’re going to put them into two squads in my platoon. Alice will take the women and Bruce will lead the men though it’s really girls and boys. Rufus killed their parents, if they were alive. He was a really sick person and led his other men to further his sick desires. I don’t think he thought of fighting except to protect and expand his domain. He was careless of the aliens but we could have taken him pretty easily. He didn’t know his equipment nor really how to fight it.”

I said, “Well, I’m glad Rufus’ rule is over. How about his captives? Will they be effective?”

Sheila said, “Not immediately, Dear. Margaret will work with them as will her squad leaders. It will take time for them to recover and to learn weapons. Knowing Rufus is dead along with his men is already helping.”

“Okay, Sheila. Help me remember to not set them on sentry duty.”

“No problem. We will want them to serve with Gloria’s squad or Marcy’s squad once Margaret deems them capable.”

“Okay, Sheila. That will work. Do we move out tonight or wait twenty-four hours?”

“Let’s wait one.”

I talked with Alex and Janey about delaying our next leg for a day along with the reason. I told them to pass the word by our local radios. Everyone settled in to rest a bit.

They had heard from Greg that we were close and, having rescued eighteen, were staying over a day to give them a chance to be incorporated into our group. Janey told me that he was fine with that. She also said that the “LRA” had made no further calls one way or another including responding to Nate’s calls to them. The Texans were on the air and being careful but talking to us.

During the next day, I heard some shooting which Margaret announced to be her new squads. I wandered over to watch since they were at the back of the building in which we were sleeping. I was careful when I opened the back door which had been jammed in an unlocked position. I slipped out and saw about forty people about fifty feet away and shooting at a building further away from them. I walked over to see Margaret and Marcy directing the efforts of the others.

Marcy walked up to one young woman saying, “Don’t jerk the trigger. Squeeze it slowly. That will help your accuracy.” The woman nodded and followed Marcy’s instructions and hitting the target close to the bullseye. The woman smiled. I was reasonably close and said, “Good shot, Miss.”

Marcy smiled. “He’s the big boss and Sheila’s husband. He does a great job of leading us. We’ve wiped out three alien bases and learned much. Riley is one of the good guys.”

I smiled. “Thank you, Marcy. Aren’t you about ready to take on a platoon?”

She blushed. “I’m still learning from Margaret. Give me a few more weeks.

“Alice is the leader of her squad. These ladies are learning well.”

“That’s good, Alice. We’re glad to have you with us. Please remember that we believe and actively practice equal rights. With Margaret and Marcy to help you, you will be up to speed quickly.”

She responded, “Thank you, Riley. I was told to call you that. I hope it’s okay.”

“Sure, Alice. We’re all in this fight together. I look forward to your squad doing great things.’

I wandered on along the line occasionally offering help or encouragement. Gloria’s squad was more comfortable with my presence though most became more comfortable as they saw me in action.

I had been out there for almost an hour when my radio gave a tone followed by Janey asking me to come to the radio area. I acknowledged her and headed that way with a wave toward Margaret.

I arrived and saw Janey with my wife. They nodded at me. Janey said, “Nate heard from the LRA. They claim Rufus was one of their guys and claim they will attack the alien base in Texas from which the alien air ships had come.”

“That should be interesting. You are monitoring them?”

“Yes, Sir. The Texans are monitoring their transmissions on HF as well as VHF. I had hoped they wouldn’t know or use two meters like we do but they are. They don’t appear to have many radios according to Jim in Texas.”

“Is that a problem for us?”

“No, Sir. We’ll have to address it when we get to Texas but VHF is for short distances. It’s all line of sight roughly. Jim is going to UHF and coding our transmissions in case the LRA is listening. There’s no real way to tell.”

“Okay. Take it easy and get ready to roll out tomorrow night.”

“That won’t be a problem. We’ll be ready.”

Sheila and I had lunch with Joe and his wife, Nancy. Joe asked about the new squads and I told him everything. He nodded. He said, “We should give them some time with Marcy and Jed to see how those two squads operate. That will also bring them up to speed more quickly.”

“That was my thought. Margaret and Marcy are working with the new women while Jed is working with the men we found. It was a sick situation. It will take a time for all of them to heal.”

After a pause, I asked, “Joe, what do you think of the LRA?”

He grinned savagely. “I think that, if they attack the alien base, they will be decimated. Those guys are novices playing at being soldier. Real soldiers would do what we’ve done and watch learning that the night is the best time to work. In the army, we always knew that because most people are day oriented. True warriors are nocturnal. We’ll have to continue to listen but I think our Texas contact will be reporting that they will attack in the day and got decimated. We’ll see.”

Sheila said, “I had noticed that you two seemed to be at home in the night when fighting. I’m guessing that’s what you were taught in the service.”

I smiled. “Yes, Dear. Like Joe said, it’s not a natural time to be causing trouble but has worked particularly well for us against the aliens. Even if they weren’t inactive at night, I would still prefer to attack at night.”

We finished lunch and went our separate ways. Sheila and I napped for a while. We planned to be up for the evening.

The afternoon was quiet except for the gunshots from our new squads as they practiced. I thought it was good to hear something positive for them.

Sheila and I had a good dinner and started our “day” with most of our people. I went by the radios and saw Alex and Janey talking. I asked, “Any news?”

Alex answered, “Not really. Everyone’s been quiet. I think the LRA is planning its attack for tomorrow. I think those folks feel pushed to accomplish something.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.