Riley's World - Cover

Riley's World

Copyright© 2023 by radio_guy

Chapter 24

The meeting continued. We had good weather and water here which people liked. Making a trek over the Appalachians when we didn’t know if there was anything to find wasn’t popular. On the other hand, a small group could make that trip. I was thinking a squad plus. I wanted the group large enough to discourage predators but big enough to protect itself. We knew how to travel to avoid the aliens.

We talked it through for a while deciding that Alex and half his radio group would accompany Lean’s squad on this trip. Leon would be in overall charge of the mission.

Once that decision was made, we discussed the possibility of another heat source test in this area though different from the last one. We would be separated by enough distance to get a better or different triangulation. If there was a base, Leon would scout it using his experience and report to the rest of us. I felt in my mind that there was no base and another test would be needed. Time would tell.

Leon and Alex talked with their folks. They would leave tomorrow night using our prior method of night travel. Privately, I warned Leon to be alert for the aliens changing to watch or listen at night. I thought we had had a great “ride” and wanted it to last but wanted to know if things had changed and, if they had, how.

The next evening, Leon and Alex left with Leon’s squad and half of Alex’s people. We were all radio equipped. I planned to listen as long as possible and to get reports.

The squad and a half traveled in three Humvee’s and were running pretty fast using headlights. It was a risk but, if the aliens were doing anything in the dark, they would be drawn to the squad. Everyone was ready to bale if air ships were heard. Alex had a person listening on six megahertz for any activity. That would also be a signal. Nothing was heard and the three vehicles were undisturbed as they ran on an Interstate to get into the area believed to be the source Alex heard.

They came into the area and went to ground as was the plan. Tomorrow night, they would check out the actual area for a base. I listened to a report that they were under cover for the day and would be on watch including listening on the radio.

It was around ten in the morning when our radio operator spoke to me. She said, “I’m hearing chittering on six megahertz.”

“Have you told Alex?”

“Yes, Sir. He told me to come to you.”

“Okay. Have you got a direction for it?”

“Yes, Sir. It’s at two hundred sixty-five degrees. That’s south of the prior bearings. Alex reports the same bearing. He believes it’s far to our west.”

“I understand, Janey. I’ve got your name right, don’t I?”

“Yes, Sir. Thank you.”

“No, I’m sorry that I don’t remember everyone’s names. Keep me advised on anything you hear. I’m going to get our outside sentries to be alert just in case.”

Janey said, “I took it upon myself to do that. Everyone’s alert for air ships.”

“Great.” It made me wonder what I was supposed to do.

Sheila slipped up behind me and said, “You’re the big boss man and I enjoy working under you.” She grinned. Janey smiled and looked a little shocked. “It’s surprising that he has emotions isn’t it?” She gave me a hug with her arm around my waist.

Alex’s voice came over the radio. “An air ship just went by high and at speed. We’re going silent for twenty minutes.”

“He’s going to switch everything off. We don’t think they can trace a unit that’s receiving only but we don’t know if the aliens can do that. Alex doesn’t want to find out that they can the hard way.” She switched her main radio off. I noticed she still had one of the handheld units.

I heard Janey say, “All units alert. Alex reports air ships where he is.”

Janey looked at Sheila and me. She said, “We’ll be off ten minutes here just in case. If the air ship is local, we go twenty.” I nodded.

We weren’t far from an open door. We heard nothing. After about ten minutes, Janey turned her handheld back on. Long minutes later, she switched on the big radio. All was quiet. It was almost ten minutes later when Alex came on saying, “There were two passes but it didn’t bomb anything nor stop. I think there was some suspicion on their part. I don’t think there is a base close to here. We will check some more tomorrow. We have a good hiding spot according to Leon.”

The rest of the morning passed quietly. We took lunch with Janey and the radio group members who didn’t travel with Alex.

In the afternoon, we heard from Alex again. “Leon reports people are coming. We’re going to try talking. Defense is prepared just in case.”

Janey said, “Acknowledged.” We waited.

It was over half an hour later when Alex returned to the radio. He said, “We met them. Leon is wounded as is Barbara, his second, who was with him. We have treated them both and they will be okay. We wiped out the others. They were six men who wanted our vehicles and ladies. It’s quiet now. Leon’s squad is searching the area. We plan to return first thing tomorrow morning.”

I nodded. Janey said, “Acknowledged. Let us know of any more events.”

I muttered, “Leon was leading from the front.”

Sheila looked at me. “He’s following your lead, Riley. What do you expect? At least, he was probably wearing a vest.”

I did blush a bit. Janey pointed and laughed.

That was the end of the excitement for the day. We slept quietly waking early the next morning. Leon and everyone with him pulled in about three hours later. Leon and Helen each had their arm in a sling. I said, “Glad you’re back. What happened?”

“They shot first. They were planning on a take-over according one who was wounded badly. We couldn’t save him. I’m not sure I would have wanted to save him. We found their women. Alex is to bring them in with him. His group has more women than we do. He will have to tell you about his signal experiences.”

I said, “Okay, get some rest. I’m just glad we didn’t lose anyone.”

Alex came up. “Riley, I’m ready to report.”

I smiled. “Go ahead.”

“Yes, Sir. We left to move south to get triangulation and to inspect the area that we had previously triangulated. We traced signals that we have determined to be alien on six megahertz. The source of those signals appears to be two hundred sixty-five degree. Because our bearing and that of Janey here were the same, we believe the bearing indicates that the source is far away. I was using the same radio and portable antenna that I have used before in locating alien bases. Based upon signal strength, I guess the sources to be over five hundred miles from our current location.”

I nodded.

“As a result of a search that Leon directed. We found four women who were alive though had been abused. I think that with food and healthy living conditions, they will recover physically. It will take longer for them to recover emotionally.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.