Riley's World - Cover

Riley's World

Copyright© 2023 by radio_guy

Chapter 23

The girl named Marcy said, “Welcome, Riley, Sheila, and Sam. We’ve been holding out since the aliens invaded and fighting off other gangs. We haven’t seen any groups or aliens in about a week and a half.”

Sheila said, “We wiped out an alien base a few days ago. That base was in Ohio. It was the second alien base we have destroyed.”

Jim said, “Wow! You folks are really going after the aliens.”

Sheila added. “Yes, that was our original purpose. We will also go after people who are beating down others. We believe in equal rights and self-determination.”

Marcy said, “We have fought off a group to keep our place here and keep the men in that other group from hurting any of us. We don’t want adults controlling us.”

I said, “I understand. Sheila and I lead because we have experience. Our sub-groups are called, ‘squads’ and they each have a leader including one woman. If you joined us, you would be a squad with one of you two leading it. You would have to decide including if you want to join us. If you join us, we will arm you with our weapons to keep the arms the same as all the rest of us.”

Sheila then said, “Think it over. If you want to join us or seriously consider it, we can talk some more. We’re going to cross the road and get some sleep. For us, it’s late.”

We left and headed across the street. Once there, Joe and most of the squad leaders were gathered together. Joe asked, “What’s going on over there?”

I smiled a little grimly. “It’s a bunch of kids led by two late teens. They’ve survived okay. They were worried about us. After we all rest, Joe, I would appreciate you sending one or two of your ladies over to talk to them. I suspect they’ve had some bad experiences with men. I could tell that Sam and I made them uncomfortable even with Sheila.” Joe nodded. We ate and then went to sleep with Margaret’s squad having guard duty. It was quiet.

We woke a few minutes after noon for lunch. Margaret came by ten or so minutes later and reported. She said, “It’s been quiet. I went across the street and talked with Angie and Linda who were spending time there.”

I said, “And?”

She smiled. “I think they might join us. It’s an interesting group of kids. They have had a rough time but have survived it and found each other. They can be blood-thirsty from their stories.”

I said, “They all looked pretty alert when I was there. I think I’ll go over and talk a bit with Marcy and Jim, if not all of them. I’ll have Sheila with me.”

I helped Sheila with cooking our lunch. After eating, we left to walk across the street. We met with Jim and Marcy. The rest of their folk listened and participated. I started off. “Linda and Angie have, I believe, talked with you and explained who we are and some about our methods. Do you have any questions of me or Sheila?”

Marie asked, “Miz Sheila, what did he do to get you?”

Sheila grinned. “Nothing. I grabbed him. I will admit that he didn’t fight me very hard. I had realized that Riley is not an aggressive man in personal situations. I made the first move.”

Marcy looked at me with a bit more curiosity. I said, “I’m sure you have all met men who made decisions for people. I don’t. If you join us, I command in a fight and for our travel. Other than that, I insist that any relationship is consensual. That is our basic rule. By the way, the right to choose includes the right to say, ‘No.’”

One of the younger ones said, ‘I know how to get someone to understand what no means.”

I looked at her (I think) and said, “I understand. We want to get people to understand that the question should never be asked. You won’t see anyone in our group make advances on another person. We’re strong on that point.”

Sheila grinned. “You had better made advances on me.” She hugged my arm.

That relieved any tension that had developed. The kids became more comfortable with us. After a bit of aimless talk, I asked, “Marcy, Jim, which one of you leads?”

Jim said, “It’s really both of us though I prefer Marcy take the lead.” Marcy smiled.

“Okay. If you all join us, that will give us two female squad leaders.” They looked curiously. I continued, “Margaret is the other and she does a fine job. We do need to rearm you with the same rifles and pistols that we use. It makes the ammo reloads easier. We will also get you into a vehicle or two. The trucks hold supplies and people while the Humvee’s are for fighting. They mount machine guns.”

One of the young kids said, “I want to use one of those.”

“If you can hang on to it and hit targets, you are welcome to use it.”

He or she grinned, nodding.

Marcy asked, “What would be expected of us if we join your group?”

I said, “First, you would be a squad leader and involved in the group’s leadership decisions. At first, we were just one squad and all of us talked about decisions. Now, I work with the squad leaders who communicate with their squads. We are getting big enough to have the squads grouped together. However, that will be a while.

“Second, each of you will be a full member of the group. You will be expected to communicate and cooperate with the others as equals. We are a fighting group and our main purpose is to wipe out the aliens. We have all lost people due to their invasion and are now getting some payback. We will also take out bad groups of humans when those appear.”

Marcy looked around. She nodded and then said, “Riley, we’re in.”

I said, “Good. We’re glad to have you join us. Sheila, get guns issued to everyone so they are armed like we are. I think Joe has two Humvee’s with only two people in each one. Get one from him, have him deliver it with someone to help familiarize the new squad with it and its arms.”

Sheila grinned. “Aye-aye, Sir! I’ll join you with Marcy for the squad leaders’ meeting.” I grinned back, saluted her, and left.

Later, Sheila and Marcy joined me for the squad leaders’ meeting with the other squad leaders. Marcy was grinning with Sheila. I asked, “How was your experience with the Humvee? I haven’t heard the machine gun yet.”

She was still grinning. “That thing will go anywhere. Mary can’t swing the gun but she will grow into it. Until then, Jim can handle it.”

I said, “Lady and Gentlemen. We have a new squad and Marcy is its leader. They will be with us and, after a little experience, will be great scouts. They’ve proven that they can survive. We’re glad that they are part of us.”

Harry asked, “Riley, we haven’t seen any sign of aliens lately. Could we try something to test their reflexes?”

I nodded. “I would like to check them out. I think we need to set up a test heat source but I want us undercover for it. I’m thinking to set it up but have people dismounted to watch for a reaction and how long it takes, too.”

Harry said, “We could set something up for this area a couple of miles away. What should we look for in a response?”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.