Riley's World - Cover

Riley's World

Copyright© 2023 by radio_guy

Chapter 16

We stopped here for the rest of the day planning to stay tonight, also.

The squads set up a camp spread out as usual. Our squad leaders gathered together along with Sheila, Nancy, and Margaret. I was glad for their presence since understanding women wasn’t one of my strong points. I opened the discussion saying, “I think we need to organize this a bit. I would think we would welcome the women. The men aren’t as sure to join us. We know that some participated too willingly. We need to talk to them and separate the sheep from the goats.”

Margaret said, “What about the bad guys?”

“I’m inclined to let the women they abused deal with them. They won’t accompany us.” There were nods all around.

While the women in that group were helped, the men had been hogtied with a guard. Margaret went to get any women who would come. Sam and Carl untied one man’s feet and brought him to our circle. “I’m Riley Norris and coordinate this group. The purpose of this meeting is to determine if you have a future. If you do, then a decision has to be made about whether you will be allowed to stay with us. If we’re willing, then your opinion will be sought.”

He looked nervous. One of the women drew her finger across her throat. I said, “That’s a strong vote against you. Do you have anything to say?”

“You shouldn’t listen to those bitches. They don’t know what they’re talking about. Any group that will have them is stupid.”

I said, “No but you are. Joe, take him away. Sam, would you please bring another contestant?”

Both men nodded. Joe led the man away and I realized that he had paled earlier. The woman who had drawn her finger across her throat followed Joe. As the new contestant was brought by Sam. A moment later, there was a muffled shot. I went through the same litany as with the first one.

He didn’t look happy. He said, “I didn’t do anything. The other men forced me to lie with a woman. I still tried to be gentle.” One of the women was shaking her head. He was the fourth to rape my daughter. He laughed while holding her for the others. He was holding her again when one of the dead ones cut her throat. I vote to let him go with the other.”

I said, “So be it. Joe, would you take him away.” Joe nodded. She followed them. I looked around. “It appears this was a sick group. Are there any of them who should be given a chance?”

Another of the women raised her hand timidly. “There is one with light colored hair who might be okay. The rest participated in the rapes eagerly.”

I nodded. “Would you go with Sam and pick him out?” I looked around as they left. “Does anyone think any of the others should be saved?” No one made a move. “Very well. We’ll take care of them.”

Margaret said, “I’ll go take care of that chore right now.” Sheila gave my hand a squeeze. I nodded. Margaret took the rifle and left for where the other three waited. There were three quick shots. Moments later, she returned. She said, “I don’t like rapists.”

The last guy was brought forward and seated. He was late teenager with bleached blond hair with dark roots showing. I went through the litany again. I then said, “Tell us who you are and what you hope to do in the future.”

“I am Malcolm Robinson. My girl was killed by the aliens along with her parents. I had been in the bathroom when it happened. Her dad had given me a beer and it disagreed with me. When I went out, they were dead. I went home and my parents and brother were also dead. I went into Dad’s gun cabinet and retrieved my deer rifle and ammo. I left the house. I saw some aliens in the distance and shot one who exploded. I felt the shock wave and it was about two hundred yards away. I want to kill those bastards. I joined Ellis’ group yesterday since I had been alone. They told me they were hunting aliens. They weren’t. They were after women and booze. I was going to sneak out tonight.”

I said, “We aren’t just hunting aliens though we did take out one of their bases. We also hunt those who prey on others like the group we found you with.”

“That would be good.”

“What if your squad leader was a woman?”

“That would be okay by me. I just want to be with a good group and kill aliens.”

I said, “Okay, kid. Your wish will be granted. Margaret, you are a new squad leader. Chose from those who are unassigned for your squad. Carl, you’ll need someone to replace Margaret. Work with her to set your squads and get any women left into a squad. We may still need another new squad. If so, pick a leader and let me know.”

I moved off with Sheila. “Why not me?”

“Because you’re my wife. I want us to be together and don’t think either of us should be in a squad. You are my second in command.”

“Joe had told me that, too. He will replace me on his squad.”

Twenty minutes later, Carl and Margaret came to us. Margaret said, “We’ve finished setting the squads. I have the only new squad. Joe took two including the teen.” She looked at us. “Why me?”

“Why not? It couldn’t be Sheila or Nancy. You’re a good shot and stayed cool. I think you’ll do a good job.” I grinned. “Don’t you?”

“Yeah. Well, thanks.”

“It’s not the armed forces but we are at war. Work with your people so we are ready. Sooner or later, we’ll have to fight something or someone. Changing the subject, Carl, please get with Sam and Leon to go over your knowledge of possible armories. We’re in need of some more guns. We might find something else worth carrying around.”

Carl nodded. Margaret stayed looking at us. “Riley, what are the rules about fraternization?”

“Mutual consent. Since most of the women are armed, that would be a good idea anyway.” I grinned. Sheila smiled and gave my hand a squeeze. “Somewhere in the Declaration or Constitution, there is language about the ‘consent of the governed.’ I believe that’s important. You don’t always have to totally agree but consent is vital. After all, there is more than one way to skin a cat.”

She left us. Sheila and I wondered around together as we watched the squads integrate the new persons into their groups. It was interesting to watch Margaret with her group as she explained consent. She also managed to hand out pistols to all five of her women and explained their operation to the women who didn’t seem to have ever handled a weapon. I heard her say, “We’re looking for an armory to get more rifles. Rifles are more accurate and you can reach out further.”

We all spent the night in our squads though, even then, we were spread out. Sheila and I were quiet but it was nice to have her next to me as we slept. In the morning, we moved out with Sam’s squad taking point. Sheila and I walked with them.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.