Riley's World - Cover

Riley's World

Copyright© 2023 by radio_guy

Chapter 10

We traveled the remainder of the day being watchful.

The sun was starting down when Joe said, “Let’s find somewhere to bunk for the night.”

“Works for me.” There were some houses up ahead. I pointed at them and he nodded.

We approached them carefully and, seeing no one, entered. We could see the remains of people outside. Inside, the house was in good shape. We found some usable food and began preparing a meal. I worked at that while Joe prowled around. He had rejoined me whispering, “I could hear someone or more coming. We need to get ready for trouble.”

I turned off the stove and we found places to watch separately while we waited for anyone to show up. A few minutes later, we saw the group. There were three rough looking guys and two bedraggled women. Their wrists were tied together and one of the guys was holding that rope to probably keep them in line. Joe could see them, too. He looked at me with a frown. I nodded grimly.

We waited. The guy holding the two women said, “Joe, Ben, check out the house. I’ll watch the girls out here.” The other two men shrugged and walked to the porch.

They stepped up. One said, “Mack, someone’s been here lately.”

The man with the women, Mack, said, “Check it out. We don’t want a surprise later this evening when we are playing.”

They went inside by the door. Joe pointed at himself and the two of them. He pointed at me and outside. I nodded.

Joe held his hand out mouthing, “Four, three.” He pulled down fingers to match. At two, he dropped his finger hand to his rifle. I took aim and, at zero, shot Mack who was standing outside. Joe took out the other two with quick shots.

I pointed at myself and motioned that I would walk out. I walked out by a side door and made my way to the two women who hadn’t moved. They were just standing like they were waiting for the next part of their, now tortuous, lives to start even though it might mean their deaths.

I came up behind them. No one else was to be found. I pulled my knife and cut their hands loose and from Mack. I said, “Ladies, all three of those bastards are dead. We won’t hurt you. You may leave, join us for the night with no strings, or stay with us as partners if that can work.”

They looked at each other. One said, ‘We’ll stay for tonight at least. Who are you?”

“I’m Riley Norris. Inside is Joe Baker. We’re working together.” I motioned. “Come on inside.”

The three of us walked inside. The same woman said, “I am Angie Sloan and she’s Linda Douglas. We were next door neighbors. The aliens killed our husbands. We had been hiding out until yesterday when those three found us. We were in the woods last night hiding from still another group. I don’t think they were going to run this evening.”

Joe said, “You don’t have to run from us. I’ve seen enough. The aliens got my wife and kid. I want pay back but I want to win.”

Linda said, “What do you mean?”

I said, “I want to kill enough of those bastards to rid the world of them. I will kill guys like those three if I run into them.”

Joe smiled. “Riley, help me put the trash out and get it away from tonight’s lodging.” I nodded and we pulled the two bodies away as well as the one outside.

We returned to see the two women sitting together on a couch drinking some bottled water. Angie said, “We found the water in the kitchen. There are two more for you guys.”

We each took a water and sat in chairs.

Joe and I just took it easy and sipped our waters. Angie said, “Riley, what are your plans?”

“Pretty basic like I said previously. Joe and I agree. That’s why we’re traveling together. My dad was in the blast radius for Atlanta. I’ve been trying to help folks and to figure a way to take on the aliens successfully. I keep thinking that somebody, somewhere, has it together and I could join up with them to kill aliens successfully. Doing it piecemeal will not get them gone. It’s going to take a concentrated, directed effort. I keep wondering if they are based in space or if they have an earth base.”

Linda asked. “Does it matter?”

‘I’m not sure but not knowing exposes our lack of intel about them. We just don’t know enough about them to fight and win. I’ve seen rocket attacks on their ships but retaliation is pretty quick and very heavy-handed.”

Angie asked, “What’s on the program for tonight?”

I replied, “We were planning to stay here for the evening and then move on in the morning.”

She asked, “Would you let us join you?”

I looked at Joe who nodded slowly. “We would let you join us. However, you know our future plans, such as they are. Those plans don’t make us good long-term risks as companions.”

Linda grinned. “You two are better than those three.”

Joe said, “That doesn’t say much good about us.”

Linda said, “I appreciate your actions. Those three had plans for rape and then would probably murder us. I didn’t plan to survive the rape because I would fight.”

I nodded. “Let’s get some supper reorganized for four instead of two and pick beds for the night. After breakfast, we can decide on what to do, with who, and where to do it.” All nodded. I stood and led the way into the kitchen.

It had a gas stove which was good. It would light. All of us were thinking about heat signatures and focused upon having a heat source for as little time as possible. We found two large cans of stew and heated them quickly. We spooned it into bowls and ate. After that supper, we went back into the living room and sat down.

Linda said, “You guys rescued us. What were your plans and may we join you?”

“Joe and I have just met. We were scouting for a place to live and to try gathering intel about the aliens. At some point, we were hoping that we could find some organization to join to fight against the aliens and then to get things back to some civilized level.”

Angie said, “What do you mean by civilized level?”

Joe said, “The guys who had captured you and we killed were not civilized. The cops are dead, for the most part, or are just trying to survive like everyone else. It’s vigilante justice until some government gets reestablished and operating. Even if the aliens vanished right now, it would take years to get the world straightened out.”

Angie looked at Linda who nodded. She then said, “May we come with you?”

I looked at them. “It will be dangerous. I’ve had seven other companions who have been taken out by bad guys or aliens. It won’t be a walk in the park though it will be a walk.”

Linda said, “Will you teach us to shoot?”

“Yes, I think that’s going to be a necessary skill for every person.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.