A Columnist - Cover

A Columnist

Copyright© 2023 by Westside24

Chapter 5

With Kim Harper now gone, Noah was back to square one when it came to him having relations with a member of the opposite sex. He did think about Kim and the times he spent with her. He couldn’t help and wonder if more could have developed with her. Because he had that question and he wasn’t sure, he could only conclude that their relationship wouldn’t have developed into anything more. He did wish they had more time together.

In looking at the news on the web, every so often he would see something posted about a person who was carrying a weapon and would intervene and stop a crime that was being committed. He remembered Kim carrying a pistol and what she said was her reason for doing it. Doing more research about gun laws on the web gave him the idea for a column.

He started the column by saying that he hadn’t gone to law school, but that didn’t mean he couldn’t read about the law as it developed regarding gun ownership and concealed carry. He noted that there were different laws in different States as to carrying a pistol. The laws initially were restrictive as to carrying a firearm because the safety of the citizens was the prime concern. In time, some of the laws in various States became less restrictive, mainly because of the need for self-defense.

Noah said he had a hard time understanding the laws that States made as to all the hoops a person must go through to get a permit to carry a concealed weapon. That was especially true now, where there is an open border causing who knows what type of people to be entering our country. Couple that with no cash bail, reductions in police forces, and prosecutors reducing felonies to misdemeanors, as well as refusing to prosecute certain crimes, all of which were causing crime rates to go up.

All this he said is making it less safe to be a law-bidding citizen. He doesn’t understand why the courts have allowed States to have these restrictive concealed carry gun laws. Noah understands laws that prohibit and restrict locations where guns can be carried. He said those laws are saying that you can carry, but if you are carrying, you can’t go there. The problem with these non-carry locations are that is where most of these horrific shootings have occurred. Maybe if allowed to carry in those locations, these shootings would not have occurred or they would have been minimized.

He stated that the Constitution says, “The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.” Isn’t passing laws telling people they need to do all these things to get a permit before they can “bear arms” infringing? He did note that the majority of the States now have changed their laws as to that requirement and thought that more States would be changing their laws in the future.

That column after it was published resulted in many responses from readers with most of them advocating for stricter gun control laws citing incidents of shootings. Noah understood their position, especially those who were touched by gun violence, and in a column he quoted some of the responses he received. He however did say that with the increase in crime there was nothing mentioned in these responses of the need for self-defense. They also conveniently failed to mention incidents when crimes were stopped and lives were saved by law-bidding citizens carrying guns. He named a member of Congress who is advocating for defunding the police while at the same time is paying her husband for her personal protection.

That column seemed to revise the interest in finding out who Bonnie Anderson was. The competing newspaper reminded its reader of the prize it was offering to anyone who would disclose the identity of Bonnie Anderson.

One morning after taking a shower, Noah noticed a large spot the size of a quarter on his calf. The thought that came to mind was that it could be some form of skin cancer since he spends a considerable amount of time in the sun playing golf and wearing shorts.

Getting an appointment to see a dermatologist relatively soon Noah found it to be next to impossible. He did find where he could make an appointment to see a physician’s assistant in three days which had him make the appointment.

Noah was on time for his appointment. After about five minutes of being seated in an examination room, there was a knock on the door, and in walked physician assistant Diane Watkins. She said hello and asked Noah what brings him here today.

Noah knows he uses the word ‘attractive” quite often to describe a woman, so he wouldn’t use it to describe Diane Watters. The words he would use to describe this average-height, slim-figured woman with dishwater blond hair was that she was “drop-dead gorgeous.” She was all that he thought.

“I have noticed a spot on my calf that concerns me,” and he pulled up his pants leg to show her the spot.

She gave it a look and said, “It’s not cancer, it’s eczema. I will give you a prescription for a steroid cream for you to apply two times a day which will clear that up in seven to ten days.”

Her saying that relieved the concern he had. He also wanted to have more of a conversation with Diane who seemed pleasant enough, but so far was all business in how she conducted herself.

“Tell me,” Noah said, “What does your husband or boyfriend say about you being a physician assistant?”

“I don’t know since I don’t have either of them.”

“That being the case, can I apply for that position?”

Diane was quiet for about two seconds and then she started laughing. It was a pleasant laugh and after putting a tissue to her eyes said, “I have heard several pickup lines but that one takes the cake. Where did you come up with it?”

“Just came to mind, but if it isn’t a problem, I would like to take you out to dinner. I am a high school teacher, and rest assured I am harmless.”

“I normally don’t date patients, but with your condition clearing up in a few days you will no longer be a patient. That being the case, we can go out to dinner. It should be interesting with your sense of humor,” and arrangements were made.

In calling for Diane at her condo, she was wearing what would be called a basic black dress. This only confirmed to Noah his initial impression of her that she was one good-looking lady. Asking her if she had any preference for a restaurant, she said a few of her patients commented favorably on “Ricky’s.” If it wasn’t a problem she suggested they could go there.

Ricky’s was a nice family-type restaurant with peanuts on the table and shells on the floor. The food was good and was served in large-sized portions. While that was nice, Diane’s company was even better. She was a good conversationalist who laughed at most of the light-hearted comments Noah made.

On the drive back to her condo, he said he had an enjoyable and would like to do something like this again. He mentioned that he goes going to some high school games and they could do that or maybe go to some UT games.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.