The Other Side of the Coin - Cover

The Other Side of the Coin

Copyright© 2023 by The Story Teller

Chapter 5

To view the Dupris’ at breakfast, it was hard to believe it was anything more than a typical family. Maurice Dupris acted more like a doting father and loving husband, than the head of a criminal empire. Freshly showered and shaved, and wearing an open neck dress shirt and slacks, he sat between his daughter and son, urging them to finish their meal so they wouldn’t be late for school.

When the meal was interrupted by a knock on the door, he wiped his mouth with a napkin and cursed. “God damn it, who can that be at this time of the day? Can’t a guy enjoy some time with his family?”

His wife, Shelly, who was pouring the kids some juice, set the pitcher on the counter. “You finish eating. I’ll see who it is.”

Dupris dropped his napkin on the table. “No, you stay with the kids. I’ll handle it.”

He opened the door to discover his chief accountant, Stephen Beauchamp, standing nervously on the front steps with brief case in his hand.

“Stephen, what are you doing here at this time of the day?”

The tall, skinny man replied. “Sorry boss, I would have waited until later, but I found something so important I thought you should know about it right away.”

Dupris immediately understood it was extremely important business, but didn’t show the least concern. He always tried to separate business from his family.

“Since you caught us in the midst of breakfast, you might as well come in and join us.” The invitation was issued in a voice that was used to being obeyed.

Beauchamp stumbled into the house and obediently followed his boss to the kitchen table. He accepted a cup of coffee but tried to refuse the omelet and toast Shelly sat in front of him. “No thanks, I’ve already had breakfast,” he mumbled.

Dupris ignored his protestations. “What’s the matter? You saying my wife’s a bad cook?”

Beauchamp didn’t want to anger his boss because he had a volatile temper. He shook his head, and started in on the omelette, which actually tasted quite good.

“See, go ahead, and eat it. It’s time you put some meat on your bones anyway. We’ll talk after breakfast,” Dupris promised.

As soon as the children finished eating, and were hurried off to school, Dupris said, “let’s go to my office, where we can discuss business.”

As soon as they were settled in his office with the door’s closed, Dupris leaned back in his office chair, and said. “Now you can tell me what’s so God damn important you interrupt my breakfast. I consider this time of the day important family time so this better be good.”

“It’s very important boss. You remember that account I set up for you a few years ago when the cops were about to seize your money?”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.