The Other Side of the Coin - Cover

The Other Side of the Coin

Copyright© 2023 by The Story Teller

Chapter 25

Weeks later, Jennifer was hard at work in her adopted booth at the rear of Momma’s Kitchen. Her expose on Nick James had made her a respected journalist, but she wasn’t one to rest on her laurels. She still maintained her blog, and because of her reputation, readers were sending her tips for news stories. Since she took her job seriously, each one was investigated for verification and posted on her blog.

She snapped her laptop shut when Margaret placed a bowl of soup and a grilled cheese sandwich in front of her. “Thanks Margaret. My favorite lunch from my favorite cook.”

The owner of Momma’s Kitchen smiled and replied. “For my favorite customer.”

Jennifer laughed. “I feel much better eating here now that I can pay for my meals. I never felt comfortable running up a tab, because I worried I wouldn’t be able to pay it off. Not that it mattered, because I would have washed dishes or waited on tables, if that’s what it took to square the debt with you.”

Margaret smiled. “I didn’t mind because I knew you were good for it. I also knew that sooner or later you would be a great journalist.”

She watched Jennifer eat. “Now, tell me the story again about you and that handsome detective. It’s still hard to believe you ended up staying at his place, especially when you claimed you didn’t like each other.”

Jennifer put down her spoon. “It’s not much of a story. It was only for one night, and I can assure you nothing happened. Besides, it was only because those mafia goons were chasing me and I needed a safe place to hide.

Margaret sighed. “Too bad. I love romantic stories with happy endings.”

“Sorry to disappoint you, Margaret, but that’s all there is. That’s it, the story is over.”

Margaret looked up and watched a customer enter her restaurant. “Maybe so, maybe not. Guess who is here?”

“I got no idea,” Jennifer replied. She picked up her spoon and turned her attention to her soup.

“It’s that the handsome detective.”

“Here!” Jennifer gasped and choked on her sandwich.

“Yes, it’s him, and he’s heading right toward us.” Margaret replied and began wiggling her way out of the booth bench.

“Where are you going? Don’t leave me alone,” Jennifer hissed.

“Sorry, I got work to do in the kitchen.” Margaret smiled and winked as she slid out of the booth and made a quick exit.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.