The Other Side of the Coin - Cover

The Other Side of the Coin

Copyright© 2023 by The Story Teller

Chapter 16

“Thanks for coming. When those guys started chasing me I got really scared.” The words gushed out as Jennifer yanked the passenger door open and slid into the front seat. The rest of her explanation died in her throat when she saw who her savior was. She stared into the handsome face of Detective Ben Cooper in disbelief. Of all the police officers they could have been sent to rescue her, it had to be him, the brainless hunk who didn’t respect her, or her job.

“Good evening Ms. Marsh. When I got the call I just knew it had to be you. You can’t seem to stay out of trouble, can you? When we agreed to protect you from the mafia we got you a free motel room and free food. All you had to do was keep out of sight for a few days, but you couldn’t even do that, could you?”

Jennifer scowled at the detective. “If I had known they were going to send you, I wouldn’t have bothered calling the police. Please. just drive me to my motel room so I can collect my stuff and I’ll be out of your hair.”

“That would be fine with me but where are you going to go? Those mafia guys don’t give up that easily. They missed grabbing you tonight but they’ll probably try again tomorrow.”

Jennifer hated to admit the detective was right. She put on a brave front and shrugged. Cooper stole a glance at her and thought he noticed a tear leaking out of the corner of an eye. He never could stand a woman crying, so he felt sorry for her. She got into something way over her head through no fault of her own. Normally, you can swipe somebody’s garbage without getting into trouble, but she picked on the wrong person. How was she to know the mafia was watching Nick James.

He had to admit he felt a certain attraction to her, and he wished they’d gotten off on a better footing. If only she wasn’t so stubborn, and they weren’t polar opposites. It would never work.

Cooper relented. “Look, I don’t do this for everybody, but you need a safe place to stay for a few more days, and I got just the place for you.”

Jennifer looked up. “Where would that be? You taking me to another motel?”

Cooper shook his head. “My place is much safer than a motel.”

She glared at Cooper in disbelief. “Your place. Thanks, but no thanks. I can look after myself.”

“I knew you’d refuse, but think about it for a minute. If you go off by yourself the mafia will find you in no time, but my place is completely safe. If I’m not around, my dog will protect you.”

Jennifer was about to shake her head in refusal. She thought, that’s all I need is a neanderthal like Cooper protecting me. He’ll order me about like a drill sergeant and criticize my every move. Then she hesitated. Whether she liked it or not, Cooper was right. She most certainly needed a safe place to stay, and his place would be secure, but that’s all it would be. Every time they ran into one another they fought like a cat and a dog. It was difficult for her to imagine them being together under the same roof for any amount, but it had to be done.

Cooper got tired of waiting for a reply. “You’re right. It’s a stupid idea. Let me think of an alternative.”

Jennifer slowly replied. “No, I think it’s a good idea. Let’s do it.”

“You sure about this? We don’t seem to get along all that well.”

“I realize that, but yes, I’m sure, and I promise to be on my best behavior, okay? I just want to be safe from the mafia.”

Cooper was already having misgivings, but he nodded and threw his car into gear. They made a quick stop at Jennifer’s motel room, and he followed her into the suite. While she packed up her lap top and clothes, he gathered up the uneaten food. As he drove her to his townhouse he wondered if he was making a big mistake. It wouldn’t be easy getting along with a scatterbrain like her.

All the while he kept glancing though the rear view mirror. He was pretty sure he’d picked up a tail. It had to be the mafia goons hoping for another chance at Marsh. After failing to grab her at her apartment they must have followed them to the motel. This complicated matters. He had to lose them before he drove Jennifer to his place. He made several unexpected turns but they stuck to him like glue.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.