The Other Side of the Coin - Cover

The Other Side of the Coin

Copyright© 2023 by The Story Teller

Chapter 13

As she followed Harris down the hallway, a uniformed police woman rushed up to him.

“Lieutenant you know those two goons we picked up after that shoot out with Detective Cooper this morning. One of them decided not to wait for a lawyer. He’s started talking and now we know why they were at that red headed woman’s apartment. It was on orders from the mafia king pin. He says Dupris knows it was Nick James who stole his money, so he had his men stake out his townhouse. But, while they were waiting for an opportunity to grab him. Dupris heard about her stealing his garbage bag so he told them to pick her up too because she knows something about James they don’t.”

Jennifer skidded to a halt. She couldn’t help but over hear what the policewoman was telling Harris.

“You think it’s safe to go home now that you got those two guys in jail? All I did was swipe a garbage bag. I didn’t think there was any harm in that.”

Harris eyed her. “You’re a rookie at this. You didn’t realize that sometimes the most innocent action can have the direst consequences. If I were you I would find a safer place to hang out until we get this straightened out. Is there any other place you can stay for a few days?”

“Not really. Maybe my parents, but I don’t want the mafia going anywhere near them. This is my problem, not theirs.”

“Okay, I guess the next bet is to stay in a motel until this is over,” Harris suggested.

“That won’t work. I can’t afford one. I’m so broke I don’t even have money for food. The only reason I’m not starving to death is because the owner of Momma’s Kitchen extended me credit on my meals,” Jennifer explained.

When Harris remained silent, Jennifer begged. “Please, you got to do something.”

He finally relented. “We do have an emergency fund for these situations, so we’ll get you set up in a motel and see you get enough to eat.” He turned to the policewoman. “Since Detective Cooper has disappeared, that will be your job. Use an unmarked car to drive Ms. March to the motel we usually use, and see that its stocked with food.”

“Thanks,” Jennifer said as the uniformed cop ushered her down the hallway. Just as they pulled out of the police parking lot, she suddenly realized the only clothes she had were what she was wearing.

“Do you think it’s safe to drive by my apartment so I can grab some things?”

The policewoman studied her. “Well, it is kind of risky but I you are going to need some clothes and tooth paste. Since we have those two punks locked up, Dupris will need a couple of days to find some new help, it should be okay if you make it quick.”

No sooner had they got in the car when the police woman asked. “So, what’s with up between you and Detective Cooper? You two don’t seem to be getting along all that well.

Jenner stared at the policewoman. “Believe me, there’s nothing going on between us, and it’s going to stay that way.”

The police officer laughed. “You sure? He is the department’s most eligible bachelor, and he’s got a couple young secretaries drooling, but no real heavy relationships as far as I know.”

“Well, he may be quite the hunk, but I’m not the drooling kind, especially with an insufferable, neanderthal like him, so he’s yours if you want him,” Jennifer retorted.

“Thanks, but I already got a boyfriend. We’re going to get married soon. However, if it weren’t for Eric, Cooper would run a close second. You should give him a chance. He wouldn’t be a bad catch if you give him half a chance.”

Jennifer stared stone faced out the window. “No way. He’s not my type, and right now, a man messing up my life is the last thing I need.”

The policewoman stopped in front of Jennifer’s apartment and sat in the police car while she dashed into the building. She hurriedly stuffed several changes of clothes into a battered suitcase and rushed back to the police car. As they pulled away from the curb the policewoman failed to notice the two men sitting in a vehicle parked across the street from Marsh’s apartment building.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.