The Other Side of the Coin - Cover

The Other Side of the Coin

Copyright© 2023 by The Story Teller

Chapter 12

“He acts like he’s super rich from dealing in rare coins, doesn’t he? But it’s not true. Look at all these unpaid bills I dug out of his garbage. It looks as if he’s as broke as I am. Then, he suddenly sells a coin for five hundred thousand and everything is honkey-dory.

“Did you see the story in the newspaper about him selling that rare coin? Marsh asked.

Most nodded in agreement, but Inspector Shouldice replied. “This must be a local story because I haven’t heard anything about it. Am I missing something?”

Jennifer replied. “Just that, that particular rare coin raises a lot of questions that the reporter didn’t bother to ask. I think it was because he didn’t know much about rare coins and took Nick James at his word.

“Well, I’m no expert either, but I did learn a few things about the subject because my grandfather used to collect them as a hobby. He was always studying a book on numismatics, and hoping that one day he would come across a coin that was worth a lot of money. He never did find anything too valuable, but we had a lot of fun going through his collection.

“So, unlike the reporter, I didn’t believe Nick James’ story about how he ended up with such a valuable coin, and the mysterious buyer who wishes to remain anonymous.”

Jennifer pointed to a dog-eared paperback book. “This was my grandfather’s book on rare coins, and I found Nick James’ coin in it. It provided some interesting facts about the coin, and its origin.

Shouldice interrupted Marsh. “I don’t think we need a lesson on rare coins, so can you please get to the point you’re trying to make. And can you make it the Reader’s Digest version so we’re not here all day?”

Jennifer was having too much fun to worry about Shouldice’s testiness. “I was just getting to the good part. The book says his coin is indeed rare, as there is only six of them known to be in existence. Since the coin is part of early Roman history, one of them rests in a museum in Rome, Italy. Another is displayed in a museum in Paris, France, and the rest are owned by private collectors. None of those four are for sale.

“Now, since all six are accounted for, the big question is, how did Nick James acquire his? It’s highly improbable that a seventh coin was dug up in ancient Roman ruins, and if it had happened, there would have been countless stories written about the discovery.”

“So, what’s you point?” Shouldice asked. Are you saying this half a million dollar coin is a fake?”

Jennifer shrugged. “According to my coin book it has to be, so I find it hard to believe that Nick James was able to sell it to anybody for half a million dollars when all a person had to do to discover it was most likely a fake, was to look in the book like I did it. Nobody is that stupid. The day after the story about the sale was published, I tried to get an interview with Nick James so I could get these questions answered, but he brushed me off.”

Shouldice said, “I’m stunned. You must have done a lot of work on this, because what we have on Nick James isn’t related to what you dug up on him. Your information takes us in an entirely different direction, and gives us enough pieces to complete the puzzle. We certainly got enough to bust him now.”

Jennifer was so elated she could barely contain her emotions. Someone was finally taking her seriously and realized how valuable her information was. However, to complete her scoop on Nick James, she needed to include everything the RCMP had on him, so she went out on a limb and decided to ask for it.

“I’m happy to help put this guy away, but since I give you all this information, I need another favor from you.”

Shouldice stared at Marsh. “What’s the matter? Letting you get the jump on the story ahead of the traditional media, isn’t enough?”

“It’s great, thank you, but without being able to include what the RCMP have on Nick James, my story won’t be complete. Could you give me what you know about him. I mean, it’s obvious you didn’t come to Edmonton unless he was already being investigated for something else.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.