Broken and Bonded - Cover

Broken and Bonded

Copyright© 2023 by angie65

Chapter 7

The next morning Jonathon ‘borrowed’ Greg’s daughters and their partners for a little drive.

Jonathon sat in the back of the car in between Laurie and Iris, and James drove the vehicle with Michael in the passenger seat.

“If you can just pull in at the verge there!” Jonathon suddenly said, and James obligingly did.

“Now then father ... what’s all this about?” Michael asked as he helped Laurie, then Jonathon out of the car.

James held Iris’s hand as they joined them to stand on the edge of the grass.

“Thank you all for indulging me, but I just wanted you all to get a viewing of our next project.”

“Our next project?”

“Yes. You all recognise the Frawning’s estate – of course.”

“Yes.”

Jonathon looked at James. “This whole place is to be demolished and redesigned and rebuilt, and I want you to be the architect for the project, James.”

“Okay?”

“I want the four of you to collaborate on this. It needs to be a main house, as before but I want a row of four ... no six homes separate from that ... perhaps over there?” He pointed to a strip of land that looked hard and barren.

“This is all very well, father but what does Bill Frawnings say about it all and who will be funding this project of yours?”

He looked at the four of them seriously. “You have all been inside that house, and you know the state that they are all living with, over there. They are descending into something, and their humanity is slowly being eroded in the process. If we do not step in and make some big changes for them, then I fear that they are doomed.”

He lowered his voice, and they all stepped a little closer. “This is not the first time that this has happened with our kind; and along with it comes a loss of the females. We do not know if the females leave due to their behaviour, or if they harm the women as they descend into this way. Or even if it is just that the absence of females, somehow instigates this decline. I fear we know far too little, and the problem is on the increase. Now we need to civilise this lot, and then hopefully they can generate a family pack.”

“Is it that serious?” Michael asked.

“I think that it is.”

“I can well believe what you say, Mr Richards.” James murmured thoughtfully. “But it will take a lot more than a ‘nice house’, to rehumanise that lot.”

“Yes, I am working on that too. But before I go haring off on the second part of my plan – I need to know that you are all on board and appreciate what is at stake here and what is required.” he looked at James. “Can you design a homestead and homes for potential families on that land over there?”

James flicked a hand negligently. “In my sleep,” he said confidently.

“Good, and your wife can help you with that – as she always does, I am certain. Laurie can decorate and furnish these homes once they are complete, and Michael will sort out the finances, although I – or rather the council, will be liable for the final costs.”

“I should like to be a fly on the wall when you tell the council that!” Michael grinned.

“That will be another problem for a different day,” Jonathon sighed, but his lips twitched tellingly.

“So, do I have your commitment to this project?” he asked his little group.

They all gave a slightly begrudging nod, and Jonathon smiled happily. “Good, I shall have a plan of the area drawn up just as soon as I get Frawnings and his pack’s agreement, and send it down to you in London, James ... you can all confer at your convenience, and I am certain that Greg will be more than happy to put you up if you feel the need to be on site at all.”

He looked at them all with a quizzical brow. “Any questions before we go back?” they all glanced at each other and then shook their heads.

“No? Good shall we get on then?”


Matt had gone off running again. He seemed to leave earlier and earlier in the morning, only to return later and later in the afternoon.

The day drifted on its way, and James, Iris and Laurie and Michael, left just after lunch.

After they their departure the house seemed quieter, almost empty despite the increased household staff.

Greg joined Jonathon outside on the veranda, where they enjoyed a nice hot cup of coffee.

“The doctors, tell me that they are developing a theory, and that they wish to have a meeting with the both of us; Dr Philips, has to go away for a few days, and Dr Grey is chasing up something as well, so they asked if we could make ourselves available to them early next week ... say on the Tuesday afternoon?”

Greg nodded. “I can definitely say I will be free and available.”

Jonathon chuckled. “It was rather a formal appointment, but I suppose since they are doctors, then that is the way that they are used to working.”

“I suppose so. Will you be gone all day tomorrow – do you think?”

“Yes, the journey to Seline’s is not a short one, and once there I expect to have a hard time convincing her to assist me.”

It was Greg’s turn to laugh. “Yes, I remember very well, how stubborn she could be; and I suspect that time and age had not softened her much.”

“Of course, you knew her back then too – didn’t you.” Jonathon said in surprise.

“Yes, as a matter of fact, Seline and I go back further that you and her; we knew each other as children. Whilst I was away with you, that time; Seline came to stay with Belle, until Matt could come down. Seline and Trudy have always been great friends too – as I recall.”

“Really? I never realised ... Seline never mentioned either of you?”

“Out of sight out of mind?” Greg suggested. “I am pretty sure that she did not mention every friendship she held?”

“Probably - you are right about that.” Jonathon sighed. “Any way, we shall leave early in the morning, and not be back before supper time I would think.”

“Shall I have the kitchen keep something warm for you both – or will you eat whilst you are out?”

“Oh, I think a light supper, would be very much appreciated, by both of us by the time we get back.”


Matt drove the vehicle with a casual ease that told how often he was in a car – heading off on some council business or other.

“It will be good to see Seline again – it has been far too long.” Jonathon murmured suddenly.

“For you perhaps, but not so much for me – I think.”

“You don’t like her?” Jonathon asked in surprise.

Matt cast him a quick glance. “I respect her to the end of the earth and back ... I admire her strength and tenacity; but she is a difficult woman to warm to.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.