Broken and Bonded - Cover

Broken and Bonded

Copyright© 2023 by angie65

Chapter 4

Trudy walked to the edge of the trees as she always did when she came to her brother’s estate. It was pleasant and tranquil just under those first trees. Away from the main house and out of sight of it and its people, but not into the woodland properly.

It was a pleasant afternoon; the sun was well over the trees, and it was comfortably warm.

She took another step, and then another.

The massive oak tree still had pride of place, and on impulse, she reached up and grabbed the low hanging branch.

Pushing off with her feet, she easily pulled herself up into the tree, and then she moved further up and in.

The branch she sought was on the other side, and it took a good swing, and then a leap of faith, but after years of climbing this tree, she had learnt the best route up it.

She settled on the branch and her fingers found the carving she sought. Deep into the bark of the tree were the initials, T, and M & B, circled with a heart.

Trudy would never forget that day, it was a moment of whimsy that turned into something so poignant, when Matt’s fingernail had turned black and grown into a point. How he had carved their initials as they sat side by side on that branch.

“It will be our witness,” he murmured huskily. “The record of our bonding; as long as this tree survives so will our love.”

She had felt a shadow pass over her at that moment and she shivered, this tree had been around all her life, and before that. It was strong and sturdy, but it was still just a tree, and vulnerable to the elements.

Matt wrapped his strong arm around her, and their lips found one another’s in a passionate kiss.


She trailed her fingers across the carving again and a tear trickled down her cheek, as she lost herself to things of the past.

Then Trudy gave a little sigh, and her shoulders went back with determination.

There, that was her wallowing done for this visit, now she would enjoy the company of her loved ones.

She nimbly scrambled down the tree and landed on the ground with a light thud.

The silence of the forest made her look around her and she lifted her face and breathed in.

“I know you are there,” she said casually.

There was no sound, no movement – nothing.

Trudy stood for a moment more and then with a shrug, she turned and walked away.

She was about halfway across the grassy field, when she heard the sound of someone running behind her, and she turned to look.

“Oh my!” she sighed under her breath, as Matt came bounding towards her; all bulging muscles and hot sweat. She was instantly taken back to another time when he had looked much the same.

His head was down and so he did not see her at first, as she stood there watching him charging towards her.

Suddenly he looked up and realised that he was going to run right into her.

She watched as the turf kicked up around his feet, as he reined himself in sharply, and came to a dead stop, in a little hole in the ground.

“You!” he said as he fought to get his breath and his composure back. “What are you doing here?”

“Watching you digging up my brother’s land with your feet!”

He stepped out of the hole and walked casually towards her, and Trudy was surprised to see the glint of humour in his dark eyes.

She turned away from him and continued strolling back towards the house, and Matt fell in beside her.

“When did you arrive?” he asked conversationally.

She shrugged her shoulders, as she tried to ignore the thrill of him towering over her. “About an hour ago, I came down with Laurie and Michael.”

“Ah, a family visit then, just for the day – or are you all here for the weekend?”

She looked up at him through narrowed eyes. “Perhaps they are just dropping me off here, perhaps I will stay for a while.”

“What? Nothing to rush back for?” he asked huskily, and Trudy’s heart beat a flutter.

“I can please myself,” she shrugged again.

“Good for you!” he said warmly.

Trudy shivered as his warm tone seemed to caress her skin. ‘Damn it! He’d always had that effect on her!’

She threw back her shoulders and increased her strides and speed, and off course he did the same – except he did it with great ease and elegance where she just looked like she was scurrying along.

Jonathon was sitting out on the veranda, and he smiled happily as the two of them approached.

“Ah I wondered what had become of you my brother, and you found Miss Beaumont on your travels, I see.”

“We met on the walk back,” Matt nodded. “And now I need to go and shower and change, and so if you would both excuse me.”

He strode into the house, and Jonathon nodded at Trudy. “Join me for an early drink?” he asked her politely.

She hesitated. “I should be thinking of freshening up too,” she said doubtfully.

“Pah, you look as fresh as a daisy as it is, and time enough for anything more later – come and join me for an afternoon drink ... please.”

Trudy gave a little sigh and sat down beside him.

Jonathon gave a little click of his fingers and as if by magic, a person stepped out onto the veranda.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.