Broken and Bonded - Cover

Broken and Bonded

Copyright© 2023 by angie65

Chapter 3

Matt had gone out running, and the doctors and Sheila were all locked away in one of the outer buildings; running tests; and analysing data; and doing lots of research.

They had moved their makeshift clinic from Jonathon’s estate and set it up in this small building, just to the side of Greg’s home.

Jonathon had contacted the hospital where Dr Phillips and Nurse Sheila worked and informed them that he had seconded the medical duo on council business, and until further notice.

He smiled a little smugly. It was still pleasant to be able to throw his weight around like that and get things done.

Dr Grey had a GP practice surgery with two other partners, and they had assured him that a locum had been found and could cover his patients for as long as was needed.

And so, the three of them had committed themselves to this project.

This virus had almost killed him; it had almost killed his friend Greg; and only through the aid of one miraculous girl were they both still alive.

They still did not know how the two of them had contracted the virus, and why no one else in their immediate contacts had succumbed; and Jonathon was very afraid that the council was keeping secrets about this illness too.

He was almost positive that it was not just the two of them who had fallen victim to this virus; so, what was becoming of any other infected shifters?

These were just some of the questions that he had set his medical trio to answer.

Greg was somewhere inside his house, Paul – Jonathon’s assistant had gone off on an errand. The medical three were locked in their makeshift clinic; and his brother was out running – again.

All Jonathon could do right now was sit and wait, for someone to come and join him; and he hated doing that, feeling that useless.

“I’ve just spoken to Laurie,” Greg said coming and joining him on the veranda. “She and Michael are driving down at lunch time on Friday; and Iris and James will travel down in the early evening.”

“And your sister?” Jonathon asked lightly. “Will she be joining us too?”

“Yes, Laurie said that Trudy would be travelling down with them.”

“Ah,” Jonathon sighed in satisfaction. Yes, all his plans were slowly coming together, now all he had to do was to keep nudging at his brother.

“Perhaps tomorrow night would be a good night to invite Mr Frawnings over – and start the process of humanising his pack?”

Greg gave a little sigh. “I shall give him a call in a moment,” he said evenly.

Jonathon smiled across at him. “I am disrupting your home, my friend; I can only apologise and hope that things will resolve themselves with time.”

“Oh, I don’t mind really. You were always a very good friend to me; and I think that we get on very well; we think the same way over things that are important.”

“Yes, that we do indeed.”

Matt came shooting out of the trees then, like a bullet from a gun; and both men could only stare in awe at him.

“Matt! You look like the hounds of hell are on your trail!” Jonathon called out lightly. But there was a wealth of warning and Matt almost dug a hole in the ground with his feet, as he reined himself in.

He was drenched in sweat as he approached the two of them on the veranda.

“You’ve been gone since dawn; have you been running all this time, my brother?”

Mathew sat down and flicked away some of the sweat in irritation. “I couldn’t sleep and this nervous energy that I seem to have acquired is driving me up the wall.”

“And across the ceiling and down the other side by the looks of it!” Greg chuckled sympathetically.

Jonathon laughed too, but he touched his brother’s arm lightly. “Is everything ok?” he quietly asked

“Fine,” Matt smiled his dismissal of his concern.

As soon as Jonathon had realised who Greg’s sister was, his first instinct had been to remove his brother from her vicinity; even after one meeting it seemed that Matt was becoming obsessed with her; and Jonathon feared the outcome of that obsession.

Her anger and bitterness at Matt’s loss of memory, and whatever else she resented, caused her to literally spit vitriol in Matt’s face every time he tried to so much as talk to her, which of course had only driven Matt closer to her as he tried to figure out her issues, and secrets.

Jonathon had sent his brother away in the hopes that he would forget her again – but then everything fell to pieces with this virus.

Jonathon had been told how in the chaos that followed his collapse; it was Greg’s sister who had taken charge; and he probably owed his life to her in the first.

She had spent time with him – helped care for him during his illness, and he had begun to see the value of the woman.

Then Matt returned, and the two of them seemed to reach some sort of a truce, but his brother was in pain again now, and indeed ever since she had left with Greg, Matt had been suffering; Jonathon knew why, even if Matt did not.

His memories of a painful time were trying to resurface, and the agony of his brother was painful to watch.

Jonathon thought a couple more careful nudges, contact with the woman again perhaps, and a familiar setting; and then he was hoping for a sledgehammer moment; where the wound would reopen, and his memories would flood back in.

He was hoping to heal his brother once and for all, to fill in those gaps, and set things right.

He was hoping to right some wrongs and heal some wounds.

He sought redemption and peace for himself and his brother, and perhaps a better future for others too.


Jonathon sat out on the veranda again that evening, this time with Bill Frawnings.

“My sons are getting restless and the full moon is still a couple of weeks away,” Bill sighed. “Every new season they feel the need a little more acutely it seems.”

“They are losing the battle I fear,” Jonathon said sombrely. “We all know how strong the pull can get – that is why we can never ignore the call for too long. But for some the call becomes everything, their day-to-day life is the false bit and they begin to live for the moon and the shift.”

“What can I do?” Bill asked in despair. “I tried everything that I could think of – even with the attempts at bonding with one or both of Greg’s daughters, in the hopes of creating a more family environment; and that failure only seems to have made things worse. What happened with Laurie like that was unforgivable and could have ended so very badly.”

“They learned nothing from what happened then?”

“No, if anything they are more restless and aggressive than ever.”

“They are in need.”

“In need? In need of what though?”

Jonathon smiled a little smile. “You had the right idea I think, with the family environment, but I think we need to prepare your boys ... make them a little more receptive to family life, and the more approachable from a female point of view.”

“You think you know someone?” Bill asked hopefully. “Someone who can introduce them to the right kind of females?”

“Patience, my friend,” Jonathon said with a smile. “I promise you that I am on this problem, Bill. I have a couple of calls to make, and some arrangements to sort; but you and your pack, you need to prepare yourselves for some major changes.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.