Broken and Bonded - Cover

Broken and Bonded

Copyright© 2023 by angie65

Chapter 1

Greg Beaumont enjoyed these few days of respite. These few days of peace before his guest arrived, along with any aids or medical experts who thought they should come too.

He was still a little bit vague about who would be making the journey, since all that Jonathon Richards had said was, “Myself and a few others will be down on Friday – thank you again for the invite and it will be good for us to catch up.”

Today was Wednesday, and so he had two days to enjoy this interlude before the invasion.

His household staff of four, to cook, clean and generally take care of him and his home, his four people staff had been expanded to eight as several of his spare bedrooms were aired and made ready for use.

Greg’s home and estate were large enough to accommodate a dozen or more guests, but Greg’s temperament did not – would prefer not.

He liked his peace and quiet, he preferred his solitude.

His sister had driven him back a couple of weeks ago, and she had stayed with him for several days, more he thought to lick her own wounds than to keep an eye on him.

In the end she concluded that it was time and necessary to get back to her business, but he was quick to see her reluctance.

It was as if all the energy and drive had once again, been sucked out of his sister, and Greg wished that she would confide in him.

The full moon had been over them during her stay, and he knew that Trudy was making use of its energy – even though she had always shunned its influence; choosing to shift at any time other than the full moon, she had been out each night, running from her demons.

As soon as it had gone on the wane Trudy had squared her shoulders and returned to London and her life there.

He missed his daughters; even though they had left him a while ago, they had always come home for visits. But now they were bonded and no longer a part of his pack – ha his pack!

He was the sole member of his pack now, even though Trudy still was technically – she had always gone her own way.

Greg had always liked his solitude, had enjoyed being alone, but suddenly he felt lonely – apart and separate from the rest of his pack, his family, and even the world in general.


Jonathon arrived mid-morning and along with him, came the two doctors and the nurse – Sheila.

“Thank you for your hospitality,” Dr Pillips said warmly to Greg, after the others had been shown to their rooms. “We will stay until the next full moon I hope, and perhaps go through the shift with Mr Richards and yourself.”

Greg looked at him sharply. “Is there a reason for that?”

Dr Phillips coughed discretely. “Tell me something, Mr Beaumont, have you yourself shifted since your illness?”

“No, no I haven’t as a matter of fact.”

“Can I ask why?”

Greg sighed. “I just have not felt the calling, the need has not been there and so the energy has not either.”

“Yes, I wondered if that might be the case.”

“You think there might be a problem?” Greg asked in alarm.

“No, not long term certainly. “But this illness, it really did seem to drain the both of you, and so I would just like to be sure that you can both weather the physical process, when the time comes.”

“Perhaps you are rushing things with Mr Richards?” Greg’s voice dropped. “I mean I have had months to recover, whereas he has only had days.”

“He was a very powerful man before this illness, and we have nearly three weeks to boost him; with nutrition, exercise and I will keep giving him the steroid injections. But then I think it will be the shift that will finally free him of the weakness – get his own adrenalin pumping.”

“And you think it will be the same for me too?” Greg asked showing the first hint that this had been worrying him.

“Yes, and I think that you should go on the same regime as Mr Richards, with diet, exercise and steroid shots.”

“If you think it will help – I should like to see the back of this lethargy,” Greg nodded.

They quickly formed a routine, and Jonathon and Greg spent their days together catching up on their missing years, and reminiscing of their time together. And whilst they did that, the two doctors and Nurse Sheila carried out research; and kept a general eye on their two patients.

“I remember that time we were sent away on that diplomatic tour,” Greg smiled as they sat out on his veranda one evening. “I was sent along with you – instead of Mathew for some reason.”

“Yes ... my father was beginning to see the growing strength in my brother and so he thought it was too risky to send us together – for other clans and leaders to see our family’s combined strength.” Jonathon mused softly. “He sent Matt away; safely out of the way...”

“Yes, that’s right, that was that summer he spent here with my Belle.”

“You did not want to go with me, to leave her unprotected with a young child and a new baby in the house, so the compromise was that you would accompany me, and Matt would take care of your home and your family.”

“I think Belle became really fond of him for that short time; and I believe that Trudy spent that summer here too – or at least some of it, and so the two of them must have run into each other – I am surprised that neither of them said anything – to us or each other.”

Jonathon sighed sadly. “My brother was called back to London just before we came back, and whilst there, he was kidnapped, he was badly beaten before he was rescued, he had a severe head wound and was in a coma for several months. When he did finally awaken, he could remember nothing of the summer and the days of his captivity.”

“Ahh, I am very sorry to hear that – I don’t remember hearing anything at the time though?”

“No, it was all hushed up by my father, he paid a large ransom to get Matt back and he didn’t want the world and his brother to know that – for fear of making Matt and me an open target.”

“Did your father ever find out who was behind it? I would have thought that he would have at least sought retribution for the damage done to his second born son?”

Jonathon laughed bitterly. “You knew my father well – I see. Yes, he sought retribution and it cost me my wife.”

“No!”

“I knew nothing until I got back from our diplomatic tour. Marissa – my wife had been sworn to silence, but she told me everything as soon as we were alone. She told me that two of the kidnappers were known, but that they were being protected by the council for fear of inciting a pack war.

I went first to the hospital and seeing how badly the damage was to Matt, I just saw red. I went to my father and demanded vengeance.

My father said that he was working on it, but that we had to be careful and not go against the council in the light of day.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.