Shadow Walker - Cover

Shadow Walker

Copyright© 2023 by Ka Hmnd

Chapter 6

I moved into the battle steeds and knelt to check the kits. The two wet nurses nodded as they juggled and cooed to the kits. I took two and held them and comforted them until Talia finally joined us. It was awhile before everything settled down and Biscuit put his big head over my shoulder to snuffle Elizabeth. The baby gurgled and grabbed his head and he blew out against her making her laugh. Talia smiled and reached up to rub his big forehead.

Solis brought two plates of food a little later and sat with us while we ate. I thought about the swords we carried and the demon prince waiting. I glanced at Talia, “we need to keep the ladies and Biscuit around the children while we are in the throne room.”

She nodded as she cradled one of the kits, “I was thinking the same thing.”

We slept lightly that night. Many of the battle steeds of the other Kittlings came to make an outer ring around us. I woke to the faint hint of light and sighed at the warmth of Talia against my back. I turned carefully so I would not wake the kits and caressed her face.

I sniffed at a very faint musky scent and then looked at Talia as she opened sleeping eyes. I cupped her face, “soon you will go into season again.”

Her eyes widened slightly and she sniffed before nodding, “Maybe two days.”

I smiled, “then I will celebrate our victory.”

She laughed quietly and shook me before slipping out of bed, “come stretch.”

I checked the kits before following her. After a light meal we rode out. Kregis rode beside Talia while I carried a kit. It was not even noon when we reached the edge of the city and by then another fifty warriors had joined us.

There were two groups facing each other as we rode up. One with maybe two hundred more Kittlings knelt before Talia. The other group of a hundred looked on disdainfully. One rode forward to meet Talia, “By order of the regent counsel we are here to place you under arrest.”

Talia opened her mouth to reply angrily and I cleared my throat. She looked at me and narrowed her eyes. I waited and she finally sighed and moved closer. I whispered, “Show him the sword crest.”

She blinked and then pulled the short sword. She moved closer to the Kittling and turned the blade so he could see the crest, “Do you recognize this crest?”

The Kittling sneered before glancing at the crest. His face faltered and Talia nodded, “You swore an oath on this crest, as did every Kittling through the ages. This sword was given to me by my life mate. By your oath I call you into service.”

If Talia was surprised when the sword began glowing she did not show it. The Kittling officer jerked and then slowly knelt and bowed his head. Talia nodded and started walking forward into the massed Kittlings. I glanced at Kregis as he shuddered and then followed her.

Slowly the Kittlings all began to kneel, many before she even reached them. When she returned to me, she sheathed the sword and faced the new groups of Kittlings. “I go to the palace and the throne room. To those that know him not, my life mate is the rightful High King.”

She waited as they stirred and murmured and then she lifted an arm, “My mate does not wish to rule. We, the Kittling Empire have always sworn an oath to him. We have forgotten the reason this was so. Beneath the throne of the Empire is a bound Demon Prince.”

The Kittlings hissed and raised angry fists. Talia lifted her hand again, “It was our responsibility to guard him. Now, lesser demons have come to free it. They have almost slain the clan Osia. I and my kits are all that remain.”

Talia looked around as she stood tall, “When my mate enters the throne room, the magic seals that protect this Empire will open. When he pronounces me his mate and queen, the Demon Prince will come forth.”

The gathered crowd hissed and Talia nodded, “By my oath before that very throne, I will face it with my mate and no other. Other lesser demons may come and they are yours. Your weapons can not kill as mine or my mates. But I remember well my teaching to become a warrior. It says that if we dismember a demon it can not stay in our realm.”

The army was swept with murmurs and whispers before Talia again raised her hand, “We may also face other unenlightened Kittlings that will try to stop us.”

The army surged to their feet with a roar, “NO!”

Talia waited until they quieted and then turned to Armsmaster Kregis, “Command them my Armsmaster.”

Kregis bowed slightly and began issuing orders as Talia and I swung into the saddle. I glanced back at my four Kittling younglings, “You will stay with the kits and guard them with your lives. Stay back from the fighting and the battle steeds will assist you.”

I could see their frightened looks and smiled, “Do what they show you younglings.”

They nodded and I turned back as we started forward into the city. Kittlings watched from almost every building. At every street crossing more warriors joined us. When we finally rode into the huge paved square before the palace there were two hundred Kittlings in five clan colors waiting.

Talia glanced at me and slid out of her saddle. As she walked forward Biscuit followed at her shoulder. She stopped halfway between the two armies and waited. Kregis was no’t idle as he moved Talia’s Kittlings into position facing the army across the paving stones. The other Kittlings began shifting as they realized we more than out numbered them.

Finally five Kittlings started forward and Kregis strode towards Talia to join her. When Talia pulled her sword the other Kittling army growled. The sword glowed and then two Kittlings and a human were walking towards Talia and the group before her. One of the Kittlings was the mage that had come to save her.

Even from where I sat on my horse I saw the human mage frown as he tried a spell. My chest tingled and I smiled as he jerked back. The other two looked at him as he dropped to his knees. I slid off Lady and started walking. Talia and the small group with her stood at almost the exact center of the huge square. Beneath their feet was the huge seal every Kittling swore an oath to.

I passed Talia and stood in the center of the High King’s seal. The huge square was silent as I looked at the five Kittlings facing me and drew a tiny knife and pricked my finger. I put the knife away and turned my hand to let a single drop of blood fall. As it struck the seal there was a crystal like bell that rang once.

Every Kittling grasped their chest as they felt the invisible pull. I looked at the five, “By your oath, I stand before you at the time of need.”

I let another drop of blood fall and again the crystal bell rang. I knew all the Kittlings in the empire were feeling this, “By your oath, I command you.”

My voice was quiet but it still sang in every Kittlings ear. I let a last, third drop fall. When the crystal bell rang again every Kittling went to their knees except Talia. I roared, “By your oath, I summon the clans to battle!”

This time there was a huge roar from the palace behind the gathered army. I looked at the five bowed heads before me, “Your empress stands before you ready for battle. The enemy draws close even now and the sworn purpose of the empire is at stake. Do you stand with the enemy or with the Empire?”

They looked up with wide eyes and looked at Talia before lunging, “The Empire!”

I nodded and turned to look at Talia, “Lesser demons will be coming and right now the only one that can open the throne room doors is you.”

She smiled faintly and bowed slightly before looking at Kregis, “Prepare the Empire for battle.”

Kregis started and then spun and started yelling as the five Kittlings turned to issue commands. Talia looked at me and I bowed, “Are you ready my mate?”

She bared her teeth and growled, “On my clan’s honor.”

I nodded and turned as she started walking past me. I reached over my shoulder and pulled the scimitar. From a hidden pocket I pulled an ancient ring and put it on my left hand. The army before us split as we approached, forming a kneeling isle of Kittling warriors.

Talia paused at the huge door and then reached out to grab the silver ring around her clan’s emblem. There was the sound of bells as the doors seemed to open by themselves. Talia straightened and walked in with me beside her. Six seals flared to life; on the floor, ceiling and on each wall.

A grey haired Kittling appeared in front of the throne and knelt, “The Empire is yours to command, your majesty.”

I turned to Talia, “This is Talia Osia. Empress of the Empire, my bond mate and my queen.”

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.