Phantom Origins - Cover

Phantom Origins

Copyright© 2023 by George H. McVey

Chapter 5

Alexander Cayne aimlessly wandered the Southwest Theological Seminary campus. Harold and his steed Thor strolled close behind, but in a silent, invisible state. Lex obviously struggled with something, and Harold knew the young future pastor needed a Word from the Creator. But he needed to keep wandering deeper into this forested area, so that nothing would distract his thoughts or his hearing.

Harold looked up at the overcast sky for guidance. A single beam of light, like a ray of sunshine, shone through layers of clouds and cast a finger of light down toward the earth, showing Harold and Thor where Lex was needed for this imperative meeting.

Lex stopped and stared at the depths of the birch tree filled forest. Harold stepped a little closer to him and spoke near his right ear. “It’s all right, son. Go that way. Just a little further.”

Lex drew in a decisive breath and continued walking, dodging ancient trees and stepping over felled trunks. The deeper he walked into this forest, the thicker the growth. Vines covered the path and mistletoe filled the branches overhead. Lex paused from time to time, uncertain. But Harold continued to encourage the young man to continue. At last Lex reached an unexplainable clearing, about twelve feet in diameter where it appeared that the trees and undergrowth had been cleared. In its stead, a large boulder centered the clearing.

Lex stared at the huge rock. Harold lifted his gaze to the sky and confirmed the beam of light engulfed the stone. It was Thor who leaned his head over Harold’s shoulder and nudged Lex forward. He stumbled toward the stone and knelt beside it, and placing his hands together in prayer, he began to cry. “Lord, please,” was all he said.

Harold stood back a step or two and removed his hat. He touched a gloved finger to the corner of his eye to capture a tear of his own. Thor pawed the ground and dipped his head. Harold patted his partner to quiet his movements. The two stood reverently as Lex received his divine guidance from the Creator.

It wasn’t long before Lex rose from the huge stone. His countenance had changed. He looked joyful and his face had a brightness to it. Harold thought of how the Good Book had described Moses, when he came back from the mountain, and had to cover his face because the spirit of the Creator continued to shine so brightly it frightened his people. Lex looked directly at Harold and Thor. The smile on his face faltered slightly and he tilted his head to one side. Had Harold forgotten to remain invisible, or had the Creator allowed Lex to see with spiritual eyes? Either way, Harold touched the brim of his hat.

Lex mouthed, “Thank you.”

Harold didn’t answer, but tugged on Thor’s reins to turn the horse, and lead the way back to the fancy-smancy college campus. His part in Lex’s guidance was done. Azariah would take over from here, and would guide the boy to accept a youth pastor position in Gladstone, several years from now.

Harold let his bridge manifest in his thoughts, and the structure appeared before him. He and Thor walked across the wooden bridge and reentered time and space in Gladstone. His granddaughter’s bedroom, to be exact.

She sat in a crumpled heap on the floor, crying ugly tears. An overflowing suitcase laid open on her bed, and a cardboard box of trinkets sat on the floor next to her. A brand-new horseless coach bore a foreign name Harold couldn’t pronounce, Mitsubishi. He wondered what that meant.

His heart broke for the grief she was pouring out in sobs. Jacob had told him she needed to step onto a seemingly broken path, in order to heal and find her way back. Bitterness festered in her heart, and yet she searched for the courage to follow through. Harold knelt down beside her and gingerly placed a gloved hand on her back. She hiccupped and lifted her head.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.