The Season - Cover

The Season

Copyright© 2023 by Charlie Foxtrot

Chapter 4

Boom!

The signaling cannon sounded and all of the pre-start jockeying for wind and position ended as the fleet of sailboats tightened sail and made for the first buoy of the race course. A cheer went up from the jetty as a local guilder boat crossed the starting line first and began to beat windward and out to sea for the first leg of the race.

“I wish we could be out there,” Samantha said as she held my arm. We were on the small platform standing just below the harbor light on the rock jetty at the entrance to the harbor proper.

“I’d be exhausted before dinner if we were,” I commented.

“Oh, poor baby,” she teased. “You had to get up early and entertain all those senators and high guilders at brunch and then run out here to start a sailboat race. I thought you had more stamina than that.”

I laughed at the sarcastic tone to her voice and shook my head. “It would be a shame and a scandal if you decided to jump in the water from here,” I said as I nudged her hip with mine.

“You wouldn’t dare,” she said. “You’ve been so well behaved today, you wouldn’t want to spoil that reputation, would you?”

She knew I needed to play my proper role as grandmother’s heir. “I wouldn’t be the one going for a swim,” I teased back.

She held onto my arm more tightly. “I think I could drag you along if you were so brutish.”

“I guess we’ll just have to test that theory in the future. It looks like the last of the boats are on their way, so we can head back to the pavilion,” I said.

I escorted her along the rough-sanded walkway laid on the top of the rock jetty and toward the large canvas covered pavilion set up at the head of the piers. Refreshments and drinks were being served to the guests, many of whom I had met at brunch.

There was one face I was not expecting, however. The strawberry blonde hair and strong jaw with laughing eyes, were shocking to see. “Aurora,” I said softly. Samantha gave me a sharp look and the stared at her presumed rival. I took a deep breath and then forced it out slowly. Aurora glanced my way and recognized me.

“Cosimo,” she said as she broke away from her conversation. “It’s so good to see you again. I’m sorry we couldn’t tell you we were coming. Father is taking his security quite seriously after the issues this spring.” She glanced at Samantha, took in the grasp she had on my arm and the look on her face, and frowned. “And who is this?” she asked.

“Aurora, may I present Lady Dennison to you? Samantha, this is Aurora, or should I say Lady Dandolo, daughter of Senator Dandolo?”

“Charmed,” Samantha said. Her tone said she was anything but charmed.

Aurora actually laughed. “Oh, Cosimo, I’m so glad you found someone who suits you here. I worried about you when we left San Mateo. How have you been doing? We never seem to find time to connect and talk since our moves. I want to hear about the season here, since I couldn’t come out to participate until yesterday.”

I tried to put aside the sense of foreboding I felt and chatted with my former lover while the woman I hoped would be my future lover held onto my hand. Slowly, as we chatted, I felt Samantha relax. She even joined in the conversation when I mentioned sailing and being the new owner of a vineyard.

“Cosimo, it looks like your grandmother wants you,” Samantha said.

I glanced over my shoulder and saw her standing with several women senators. She motioned me to come over. “My apologies, ladies, but duty calls,” I said.

I was surprised when Aurora put a hand on Samantha’s arm and asked her to stay and chat as I stepped away. I was certain no good would come from that conversation.

“Cosimo, this is Gwendolyn Mayacea. I believe you met her mother a few months ago.”

I smiled and shook her hand. She was a younger version of Anya, with lush dark hair and deep brown eyes. Her handshake was firm. She was dressed casually, in a skirt and loose blouse and could easily pass for a local, but I knew she was usually in Romanifo.

“Welcome back to Cardino, ma’am. Please give my regards to your mother and make sure she is keeping Valentino fit.”

Gwendolyn sputtered at my comment, blushed, and then nodded. That led to a more detailed retelling of my meeting with Anya and we laughed when Gwendolyn mentioned the other way her mother kept Valentino fit.

Grandmother took my arm when we finally turned away and leaned in so only I could hear her. “Thank you, Cosimo. I wanted to end that particular conversation and I thought you might want to step away from Aurora. I did not realize her father was bringing her, or I would have warned you.”

“It’s not a problem, grandmother. We’re adults. Our time together is over, though I wonder if she felt something would happen today or tonight.”

Grandmother patted my hand. “It can’t be, Cosimo. I’m sorry. I think Samantha is much better suited to you anyway.”

I nodded by kept my thoughts to myself. I escorted grandmother from group to group, fetched her drinks when needed, and generally performed my duties of meeting and greeting the important people of the town and the empire. By the time the winning sailboat entered the harbor, she had chatted briefly with everyone in the pavilion and Samantha had rejoined us.

“You have an interesting past, Cosimo,” was all she said. “We’ll discuss it in the future, I’m sure.”

The second place boat was just entering the harbor as the winners of the race came up to the pavilion and were showered in applause and rewarded with the silver trophy cup. The looks of adoration that the low guilder crew gave my grandmother were surprising, but no more so than the hearty hugs and thanks they showered on me. As the rest of the boats began to appear, the party broke up.

“Cosimo, can you stay until the final boat returns? Congratulate them and then hurry home to get ready for the parade,” Grandmother commanded. “Samantha, I’ll see you this evening. Thank you for joining us for the regatta.”

I was surprised when Samantha actually curtsied and thanked her for our hospitality. No other aristocrat had shown her that curtesy, though most of the guild-folk had. Grandmother beamed at the compliment.

“I wish my prior seasons had been out here,” Samantha said as we looked at the sailboats returning.

“Why?”

“It’s all society at the Capital,” she replied. “They don’t do things like this for the whole town. Even if they did, most of the town is more interested in staying away from the upper classes. This is fun. I can’t wait for the parade. I suppose I should head home to join the family. The Havershaw’s of all people invited us to watch from their balcony. Evidently, they are on the parade route just at the entrance to the square. It should be a good view of all the fun.”

“It should be. I’ll see you this evening at the ball,” I said.

She smiled at me and then gave me a very quick, impulsive kiss before darting away. I watched her go, smiling at her enthusiasm. I was still staring as someone came up behind me.

“She’s good for you, Cosimo,” Aurora said softly as she stepped to my side.

“She may be. I’ve enjoyed getting to know her a little over the past few weeks. How have you been? Really?”

She let out a little sigh. “As good as can be expected, I suppose. I miss our times together, but father keeps me busy. I’ve learned a lot even before the Senate reconvenes. He’s got me working with the team planning the continuing resolution.”

All of our laws passed by the senate and not vetoed by the Emperor expired when a new emperor was elected. This was by design and mandated in the constitution. All of the ministers appointments ended as well, and all voluntary indentures were considered to have repaid all of their debts. It had become tradition for the senate to pass a continuing resolution identifying which specific laws would remain. This had become one tool to prevent the continual expansion of Imperial bureaucracy. Only the constitution and imperial edicts remained without the resolution.

“That would keep you busy,” I said. “More than fifty years of laws to review and evaluate. I don’t envy you.”

She nodded her head. “It’s my duty. Father wants the laws cleaned up, but we have to go back to the original records to determine what problem they thought they were solving and if it still applies and if it hasn’t already been amended. It drives me up a wall, until I remember if we miss something critical, the Senate can pass a new, updated law.”

“But such a new law won’t go into affect until one hundred days after it passes,” I said. “Your father has that long to veto it.”

“Yes, but I learned a little secret. There is a law that was passed centuries ago that states any law passed by the Senate for the first year after the raising of a new emperor goes into affect immediately unless vetoed by the Emperor. That means the Senate can fix mistakes if they miss something in the continuing resolution. That law is the first item on father’s resolution.”

“I guess our ancestors learned a few things,” I said.

“They did. Father also arranged for me to see the full constitution and all of the imperial edicts.” What she did not explicitly mention spoke volumes. I waited her out.

“We could never be together because of that, could we?” she finally asked.

I shook my head. “I’m sorry. I did not know the full extent of that edict either. It would have kept us apart regardless of our feelings for one another.”

It was her turn to nod.

“Can we still be friends?” she asked.

“I’d like that, but we will have to be discrete. I wouldn’t want to do anything to endanger you or your father,” I said.

“Yes,” she agreed. “Public chats are one thing, but a long weekend in the Red Wing would cause all kinds of problems, wouldn’t it?”

“I’m afraid so.” I had a wicked thought as the last boat finally rounded the jetty. “You’re in the Imperial Suite with your father, I presume.”

“Yes. Why?”

“I’ll send you a present for the evening. She’s a house slave you might remember. She can give you a hand relaxing before or after the ball.”

Eleven might hate me for sending her, but she might love the rewards Aurora could deliver as well. I was smiling as we both congratulated the sailors and passed out the remainder of the prizes.

“Eleven!” I called out as I entered my apartment to change before escorting grandmother to the reviewing stand.

“Master?” my slave asked as she hurried to greet me, followed by Ten. Twelve was busy with the catering staff preparing for tonight.

“Shower quickly while Ten helps me change. I’ve got a task for you.”

“Yes, master,” she said as she hurried away. She was kneeling by the door, her hair still damp when I returned.

“Wear a travelling robe and put your house tag on,” I commanded. She hurried to comply. I motioned for her to follow me and we hurried out of the house and down to the club. We entered the back way, the same way I took them in for day training, and were met by the reduced duty staff, since no one expected slaves to come for training during the festival.

“Cosimo, what is Eleven here for?” Candace, one of the back house managers asked. She must have been the junior staff member to earn this shift.

“Candace, Eleven is here to provide temporary assistance to Lady Dandolo. She’s to only answer to Lady Dandolo, and should be considered to be wearing the gray. Is that clear?”

“Yes, sir. I’ll escort her up myself. Does the lady know she’s coming?”

I smiled. “She does, but not exactly who or when.” I turned Eleven to face me. There was a hint of concern in her eyes.

“Eleven, do as you’ve been trained. Do as you’re told. You can tell Ten, Twelve and I all about it tomorrow.” To Candace, I said. “Can you arrange someone to escort her back to the Grand Dame’s piazza in the morning? I need her returned by six, please.”

Candace jotted down a note and nodded. I left without a look back, hoping Aurora and Eleven would enjoy their own reunion tonight.

I made it back just in time to escort grandmother to the reviewing stand. Revelers were already making the square crowded but several of the club guards kept an eye on things ensuring nothing got out of hand. The heavy beating rhythm of drums and tamborines could be heard in the streets as the head of the parade got closer. I fetched mother and grandmother goblets of wine just before the leading float pushed it’s way into the square with the first band following close behind. The crowd cheered them as riders on the float flung tight wrapped treats to them. Grandmother, with me at her side, acknowledge the float with a tip of our goblets and then repeated the gesture for the band as they began to play a raucous tune and the crowd danced wildly.

“Smile, Cosimo,” grandmother chided from the side of her mouth. “They want to know you are enjoying their efforts.”

I smiled, hoping it did not look forced, since I did appreciate the work they put into their performance. The next float, this one covered in wild colors with dancers gyrating on it, entered the square. Ninety minutes later, the final float had been toasted, and the crowd was dispersing as we headed home.

“You did well, Cosimo. I’m glad you paced yourself on the toasts,” Mother said. “If you hadn’t, it might have been a long greeting line to stand in next.”

I had not seen my mother so jovial in quite some time. Father was laughing and smiling as well. I guess they really were enjoying themselves.

“Cosimo,” grandmother said as we ascended the stairs to the living section of the house. “Don’t forget your mask when you come down. I’m quite looking forward to seeing it on you.”

“Of course, grandmother. I’ll be down shortly.”

The mask was designed to match her own. She would have a pale green leather mask that barely encircled her eyes, but it was lined with delicate emeralds and diamonds set in platinum. I had been surprised by its weight when I had picked it up from the jewelers yesterday. My mask was slightly larger, covering the tops of my cheeks, and fashioned from deep green, almost black, dyed leather. It was inlaid with the same pale green so prominent on her mask, and had mostly emeralds set around the eyes. I had tried it on, finding it comfortable enough and feeling lighter on my face than expected. Of course, that was wearing it for minutes, not the hours I would have it on tonight.

I was happy to sit down and have a chance to relax for a moment when I got into my apartment. Ten hurried to kneel at my feet, remove my shoes, and rub my calves, ankles, and feet.

“Thank you, Ten. That feels wonderful.”

She smiled up at me an then focused on her task.

All too soon, she sat back. “Master, you have just enough time to shower and get dressed before you need to go back down,” she informed me.

I did her bidding, which was ironic, and was pleased when she joined me in the shower to help me wash. Once I was clean, dried, and dressed, she presented me with my mask and then helped me tie it in place. She helped with my jacket and tugged the hem and ends of my sleeves until it met with her approval. She brushed a bit of lint from my shoulder.

“Master, you look wonderful,” she said.

I looked in the mirror and saw she was correct. My dark dinner suit matched the leather of the mask and the pale green tie and cummerbund would match grandmother’s mask and dress. The suit was tailored well, fitting my frame and hanging in a flattering line. I had definitely looked worse.

“Thank you, Ten. Please lock the door behind me. I doubt I’ll be back until after the fireworks. Feel free to enjoy them from the balcony.”

Grandmother was in her formal sitting room when I arrived, with Seven in attendance in a formal dark maids outfit and wearing a plain white porcelain mask. Seven offered me a drink from a tray of white wine glasses.

“Cosimo, for the greeting line, I’ll have your mother and father before me, and you after me. Allia, Eight and Seven will be there to hand out table assignments, after you welcome our guests.”

I nodded. It was all as planned and expected.

“Good,” she said. “Until then, sit and relax with your wine. We have a few minutes and you won’t get a chance to sit again until dinner. The pageantry and spectacle of the festival are fun, but all of the standing begins to wear a soul down,” she said.

“I’m sure our shoes agree,” I joked. Grandmother laughed. She had obviously not intended a pun.

Soon, mother and father joined us. Mother was stunning in a white dress with the sapphire mask and matching earrings. Father’s suit looked as good as my own.

“Oh my,” grandmother said at the sight of them. “You two look just like you did at the first masquerade your wore those masks to,” she said.

Mother hurried to hug her mother. “It’s been a long time, but it’s good to be back here for the season, mother.” She turned to inspect me. “You look charming, Cosimo,” she said. “Mother, did you have that mask made for him? I don’t think I’ve seen it before.”

Grandmother pulled a delicate handkerchief from a hidden pocked and dabbed at her eyes beneath the mask. “No, dear. That mask has not been worn for over a century. It was your father’s, but I felt it was time to pass it on. I’m certain Cosimo will wear it well.”

“Here, here,” father agreed as he lifted his glass to me. Mother and grandmother joined him, and I blushed.

“Are you nervous, Cosimo?” mother asked as we all sat.

“No. I’ve met everyone on the guest list, either earlier today or previously. I know how to shake hands, talk, eat, and dance, so what do I have to be nervous about?”

Grandmother and father laughed, while my mother gave me a scowl.

“Your mother,” grandmother said, “was a nervous wreck before the masquerade the last time she was here. I suspect your father was not much better.”

“I was only nervous until I saw your mother in the greeting line,” father said. “After that, I was fine.”

“Your mother could not say the same, Cosimo. ‘What if I spill my soup?’ ‘What if I trip while dancing?’ ‘What will Charles think then?’ It was enough to drive me around the bend, Cosimo.”

“I wasn’t that bad,” my mother insisted. “I just wanted everything to go smoothly.”

“And it did, didn’t it?” Grandmother conceded. Allia stuck her head through the door and nodded. “Time to go, dears,” grandmother announced. “The first guest has arrived.”

The tedium of a formal receiving line had been compared to giving birth. It was something endured, not enjoyed. I was happy when Samantha and her father came though the line accompanied by Rhys and his wife. I held my breath when Aurora arrived before me, looking more relaxed and smirking at me beneath her light purple mask.

“Thank you for your surprising gift today Cosimo,” she said.

“It was my pleasure, Lady Dandolo,” I replied.

“Oh, no, it was definitely my pleasure,” she almost purred. “Thank you.”

Her father cleared his throat and they moved on. Since they were nearly the last to arrive, we all headed inside. Seven fetched us glasses of wine and we mingled with the guests. We skipped the hors d’oeuvres being offered and I had just enough time to find Samantha and ask if she enjoyed the parade before we were called to service for dinner. Samantha raised an eyebrow when she saw Aurora and her father were seated with me at Grandmother’s head table. Master Toscano and his wife rounded out the top table.

I seated grandmother but remained standing as the caterers and staff made sure the first course of wine was poured. Once everyone was seated, I raised my glass and waited for silence to fall. It took a moment, but then all eyes were on me.

“Welcome to the home of the high season. Please join me in a toast to celebrate our Empire, our subjects and citizens, and the bounties of our land. May blessings and wellness flow until we gather again.

“At the birth of the empire, a tradition was started here in Cardino, calling all citizens and subjects to gather and celebrate our journey from old Earth to this new home. At that first festival, a question became a toast that we still raise a glass for to this day.”

The words of the toast were also part of our family tradition, so I had studied them well.

“Quis stabit pro libertate? Ego cum imperio.”

Roughly translated, “Who will stand for liberty? I will with the Empire!”

“Cum imperio sto!” the crowd called back and drank to the toast.

I sat and Seven hurried to refill my glass as dinner was served.

Musicians roamed the tables playing soft tunes as food was delivered and eaten and conversation filled the room.

“You did the toast well,” Aurora said as the first course was served. It was a truffle custard with crab and caviar served in a small glass dish. Naturally, it was paired expertly with the white wine being poured. I had sampled the full menu the week before and was looking forward to each course.

“Yes, you did, Cosimo,” her father echoed. “And the wine poured for the toast was delightful as well. Was it a vintage of yours, Master Toscano?”

The master vinter smiled and nodded. “Produced with fruit from the grand dame’s vineyard. This particular vintage is only served from her own cellars here at the masquerade dinner. I always look forward to tasting how it has aged each year.”

The senator laughed. “I guess I can’t beg you for a bottle then, can I?”

“Perhaps we’ll bring you a bottle or two for your ascension,” grandmother said.

“Don’t jinx things, m’lady,” he replied. It was considered bad luck to assume any particular senator would become the next emperor, even if his election was virtually assured.

“Is there any news on the emperor?” Lady Toscano asked. “We heard he was nearly dead, and then the next thing we hear is he has returned to health.”

“He is weak, and won’t likely last more than a year, but he is stable and capable of ensuring the Empire’s affairs are in order. He asked Aurora and I to attend the festival here in Cardino on his behalf, since he was not well enough to travel west.”

“I’ve never been to the capital for the festival,” Master Toscano said. “Is it as lively there as here?” he asked.

Aurora smiled. “We have some parades and parties, but I don’t think they are as friendly as these in Cardino,” she said. “Your city seems to involve everyone. We’d have to have troops in the streets if everyone came out for one parade there, or the parade route would have to be twenty kilometers long. I wish I could have been here for more of the fun.”

Master Toscano beamed at the praise being given his home town.

“Lady Rhingold, do you know much about the tradition behind the masquerade?” Aurora asked. “I don’t recall the Capital celebrations including one.”

Grandmother smiled. “My mother told me it was our family’s tradition to host. My father teased that it was so the ladies would not see the men’s ugly faces.” The table chuckled at the jest. “Our family archives have photos dating back hundreds of years with the masked attendees. Cosimo’s own mask has an analog in a picture from nearly five hundred years ago.”

“It is a very fetching mask,” Aurora said. She and her father were wearing simple masks, adorned with gold and silver, but only a few precious stones. The Toscano’s had on more elaborate masks festooned with colorful feathers that matched the riotous colors of their outfits.

Lady Toscano asked Aurora about the fashion and fads in the capital while I just enjoyed the food and easy conversation going on around me. I would glance at Samantha, admiring her poise and beauty. She was dressed in a flowing black dress with a tight fitted bodice and intricate green and blue beading that matched her peacock feather mask. She wore a large oblong emerald at her neck on a black silk choker. Her earrings matched the hue of brilliant green. Every once in a while, I would catch her looking at me as well. We would share small smiles when our eyes met.

The second course was a light chopped green salad with a tangy nut-based vinaigrette and small edible flowers. It too, went well with the wine.

“Gods, this tastes good,” Aurora said.

“Maybe you just worked up an appetite,” I teased. She frowned at me, then smiled. I guess we were not allowed to tease each other in our new relationship.

After another bite, she chuckled to herself. “Maybe I did,” she admitted. “But it doesn’t mean this food isn’t delicious.”

“Thank you, dear,” grandmother said. “We spent quite a bit of time tasting and planning the courses. You should have seen the trials Cosimo endured with me to make sure everything was just right.”

“Oh? Do tell,” Aurora insisted.

Grandmother pulled Master Toscano into the tale, adding tastings that I was not actually at and the many trials of getting the local ingredients and ensuring the catering teams could meet the standard the chefs set.

Her tale, much of which I insisted was fabrication, got us through the course. Wine glases were changed and filled with a clear claret before the next course, the meat course. Lamb stuffed with lemon ricotta and oregano was served with small potatoes poached in butter and lightly steamed bundles of broccoli. Everyone ate with gusto. It was a delicious plate of food.

“So Cosimo, what was you most memorable party this season?” Lady Toscano asked.

I wasn’t sure if she was fishing for a compliment or just making conversation. Regardless, I asked, “Most memorable or most enjoyable?”

She blushed thinking my question was a reflection on her party. I hurried to set things straight. “The evening featuring that strange dance troupe is something I don’t think I’ll ever forget,” I said. Mostly because of the miserable experience contrasting so nicely with Samantha approaching me, I did not add. “My favorite was the progressive dinner that I began at your home, Lady Toscano.”

“What was the performance?” Aurora asked.

I explained what I thought the modern dance troupe was attempting to do. “Maybe I was missing something, since I was watching from the second floor balcony, but it did not do much to entertain me.”

“I believe you summarized it much more succinctly that night, Cosimo.”

“Which was?” Aurora’s father asked.

“It was crap.”

We all laughed at my grandmother’s recitation of my summary.

“And the progressive dinner? What was that?” Aurora asked.

I explained the concept, drawing Lady Toscano into helping explain the planning that went into the night and how enjoyable I found the different experiences.

“I talked to several people that had totally different evenings, but we all had fun. I compliment the High Guilders that organized the evening.”

Lady Toscano beamed. “We hoped everyone would enjoy themselves. A few of the chaperones complained about having to traipse all over town, but even then I think they enjoyed themselves.”

“Huh,” snorted Master Toscano. “I don’t think that much traipsing happened, at least from our house. Most of them asked that we open another bottle and let the ‘youngsters’ do the walking while they enjoyed the fruits of my labor.”

“And how many case orders did you take that night or the next day?” Grandmother asked with a grin.

The master vinter sighed. “Quite a few, so I guess it was a good evening when all things are considered.”

The final course was a rich dark chocolate flourless cake. A small cheese board was also set on the table along with a fortified desert wine, coffee, and tea. Many diners pushed back from their tables with noticeable groans from stuffing themselves over the course of the day. We all enjoyed the final course. Grandmother monitored the crowd and the staff, waiting for the perfect moment to rise from her seat, signaling the end of the meal as the last serving dish was cleared.

“Cosimo, shall we dance?” she asked.

I stood and extended my arm and led her toward the adjacent ballroom which in turn opened out to the main balcony overlooking the harbor. Several couples followed us, including Aurora and Samantha with their fathers. The band started as we approached and I soon was escorting my grandmother around the dance floor. She was spry for a lady well into her second century.

Everyone clapped at the end of the dance, and I then traded places with my father, so we could each dance with the other ladies in our lives. Aurora was in my arms for the third dance, then Samantha for the forth. I disobeyed my grandmother’s instructions then, dancing a second time with Samantha before moving on my appointed rounds.

At some point, the doors from the piazza were opened, and other prominent members of society joined the ball. While grandmother was generous, she had drawn the line at sixty couples attending the dinner portion of the masquerade. The dance floor became more crowded as people joined the party and several of the more senior folk chose to retire to the tables and watch the crowds. I was not given that luxury, always being approached by a young woman if I was left alone at the end of a dance.

Felicia Havershaw received her reward of forgiveness and I was happy to see Samantha waiting for me as that dance finished. I smiled when I heard the slower music start and offered her my hand. She moved into my arms effortlessly and smiled up at my eyes.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.