Intertwined - Cover

Intertwined

Copyright© 2023 by Westside24

Chapter 9

Frank’s law firm’s success resulted in a steady influx of new clients. They were coming in as walk-ins because of their firm’s reputation or as referrals from other attorneys on claims that were above those firms’ expertise to handle. His law firm’s fee agreement with other law firms on referrals was that Frank’s firm would keep seventy-five percent of the attorney fee with the referring attorney getting the remaining twenty-five percent.

There initially were some complaints about this fee arrangement but the referring attorneys were told that is the way it is. They had the option to refer the file to other law firms but they may not receive the expertise in trying the case or the large settlements that Banner and Watkins could give them.

That is not to say that every case referred to the law firm was tried to a verdict. It only occurred in about ten percent of the files handed that went to a verdict as the majority of the cases were settled before or during the trial. The threat of a trial coupled with the expense involved for the insurance company as to the cost of a trial was sufficient to receive a top-dollar offer to settle the claim. Both sides acknowledged that the expense of a trial along with the uncertainty of what a jury would do were prominent factors that resulted in the before-verdict settlements.

Frank was dating both Kate and Linda and was coming pretty close to dating one of them every other weekend. Most of the dates ended with Frank bedding them and staying overnight. It seemed to be a given that every date would end that way. While he looked forward to that happening, it was starting to be his observation that this was what each of these ladies also wanted and expected to happen. It was a win-win situation for all.

On a dinner date with Linda, business was not normally discussed. She did ask him one time how his office was organized. She said since she was on the other side of the business she was just curious.

Frank explained that there are a total of eight attorneys plus support staff in his office. Four of the attorneys are associates and they will handle the file when it first comes in with rare exceptions. Lawsuits may have been filed or will shortly be filed. These attorneys will do the initial prepping of the file which will include filing interrogatories, securing copies of records, and taking depositions.

“As the case develops, and normally depending on its estimated value, the file will be transferred to one of our two senior associates if it looks like a trial will be necessary. They will handle the file and again depending on the potential value will either negotiate or try the case. All of the attorneys have full authority to make that decision on file disposition.”

“If there is the possibility that there could be a large collectible verdict because of the defendant having an umbrella policy or there is a corporate defendant, the file will then be my responsibility. Normally most of the files transferred to me have a strong possibility that they will be tried to a verdict.”

“I have been pretty successful in doing that because people say I have a way of talking that people say is sincere which makes the jury believe what I say. That also helps me because after I divorced, it enabled me into talking a very attractive and successful lady attorney out of her panties.”

There was a pause then Linda started laughing which had some of the other diners looking at her. When she composed herself and looked at Frank after wiping the tears from her eyes she said he did do that. Quietly she told him she was looking forward to him doing that when they were back at her place.

Truth be told, back at her place Frank didn’t need to do much talking before they were in her bed making love. He used what she referred to as his “silver tongue” but instead of it doing talking with it, he used it to do some licking at her special place.

Maybe it was Frank’s imagination but he seemed to notice that women in general were friendlier to him than they had been in the past. Women attorneys, court clerks, court reporters, and residents in his condo building went out of their way to talk to him which caused him to have that feeling. He thought that his now being divorced was the reason for this. He could be wrong but this was just his opinion from what he was observing.

Frank had a four-day trial involving a man who was killed in a hotel when scaffolding collapsed on him. He had a wife and two teenage children. There wasn’t much work necessary to prove who was at fault, it was only a question of what was this man’s life worth. The hotel made a substantial offer to settle the lawsuit but after discussing current jury trends with his client who was now a widow, they decided to roll the dice and let the jury decide what this death was worth. That was a good decision as the jury made an award that was close to triple what had been offered in an attempt to settle before the trial.

Frank was looking at his investment account which he was periodically adding to and saw that it was increasing in value. Some of that was because of the dividends and interest it was generating which were being reinvested. Coupled with the rise in the stock market, the account already was large enough to fund a comfortable retirement. He then paused to wonder if he should be further diversifying his investments by investing in property. That transitioned to him thinking that it might be time to start enjoying some of his wealth.

Along those lines, he couldn’t help but wonder how long he was going to work and what would he do when he retired. He had done some of this thinking before and presently his thoughts were when he retired to spend the cold months of the year in a warm climate and the warm months of the year in a cooler climate. Florida was getting his vote for the warm climate and upper Wisconsin was in the running for the cooler climate.

With there being six inches of snow on the ground here and Kate and Linda not available for Christmas or New Year’s because of family commitments, as well as no trials scheduled for him till mid-February, Frank thought it might be time to look into where he would like to retire to in Florida.

Instead of just deciding on his own he started talking to people who had been to Florida to solicit their input.

While he received recommendations as to certain areas, it was thrown back to him that he needed to decide what he wanted to do. Golfing, fishing, boating, and socializing were the main subjects they said were the things he needed to consider. He wasn’t overly enthused with owning property close to the water because of hurricanes and storm surges. If he wanted to own a boat he could have it stored at a marina. He was leaning towards wanting a solidly constructed house as opposed to a condo and he also wanted to have a nice view. A house or condo bordering a golf fairway he knew would give him a nice view.

The consensus of the information he received was generally that the west coast was given the nod over the east coast and he was told the farther south you went the more crowded it became along with increased traffic congestion. Sarasota and its surrounding area was the location that was most recommended.

Frank looked on the internet for rentals that were being advertised and phoned a realty whose listing indicated they were doing that. He spoke with a realtor named Wanda about renting a condo for a month. She told him that was not going to be possible because most condo associations have length rental requirements ranging from a minimum of three months and upward. For what Frank wanted, she says it would be either a hotel room or a short-term rental of a house. She does have houses that are available for one-month rentals.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.