Back Trail - Cover

Back Trail

Copyright© 2023 by Zanski

Chapter 30

Sunday morning, with still no reply, Malik and Gabriela discussed the ramifications of Cowboy’s situation and its effect on their plans.

After a long and frustrating conversation, Malik said, “No matter what’s happened, the need to deal with Ranford has not lessened. I would go ahead with the plan as is.”

“What if Ranford’s expecting you?”

“How would he know? From Cowboy?” Malik shook his head. “Not even under torture. Cowboy would kill himself if he thought he could not hold out, or he’d antagonize his captors until they killed him. And, given the arrogance these men have displayed, I doubt they would suspect anyone would attack them here.”

“We can’t be sure,” she insisted.

He sighed. “Does it matter? If necessary, I would walk onto the Senate floor and beat him to death with a hammer. He has caused irreparable harm and intends even worse. No authority here appears interested in what this town would define as petty corruption. Especially if the only harm is against nameless peons in a small corner of a remote desert. Forty thousand dollars in a signed-off federal bill does not just disappear without others being aware. But it’s just business as usual here. Well, I intend to put a stop to that part which is hurting my family and friends.”

“Emil, I know that. I only want us to have the best chance possible of coming out of this alive and free.”

“I’m sorry, my love. I don’t mean to browbeat you.” He stroked her cheek

Then he stood. “I’m going for a short walk. It will help me regain my perspective and I can also watch to see if I am followed. Keep your gun with you. Keep the door locked and do not open it for anyone, even the police. I’ll only be gone a quarter hour. When I return, I will knock twice, then once, then twice more.” He demonstrated the pattern on a table. “If I say, ‘Open the door, woman,’ then do not open the door. Keep your gun trained on it and listen for other sounds that may indicate problems coming at you.”

“Go, then. Let’s get this over with,” she said. He walked to the door. “Wait!” she demanded. “Kiss me, first.”

After he left, Gabriela sat in a corner of the front room, opposite the door and away from the window. She watched the slow crawl of the second hand around the dial on the small mantle clock. Midway through its thirteenth circuit, she heard footsteps approach the door. There was a subdued tapping in the two-one-two arrangement.

She went to the door and said, “Emil?”

“Yes, dearest. Will you allow me entry?”

She fumbled with the latch, then threw the door open and embraced him as if he was returning from the wars.

“Gabriela?” he said. “Are you alright?” He kicked the door shut behind him.

“Oh, darling! In our western wilderness I have every confidence, both in you and in myself. But here, in this, this ... den of jackals, I am afraid of every sha ... dow. Oh! I forget. You are as much Shadow here as you are in the mountains. Forgive my foolish fears, beloved.”

“Not altogether foolish. Fear helps keep us alive in risky circumstances. Just don’t let it overwhelm you.”

“No. But just the reminder of your Indian name gives me assurance. You are smart, resourceful, and skilled. When we return home, I will call you only Shadow, if that meets with your approval.”

“As you wish, dearest.”

She sat back in the chair and set her gun on the table next to her. She looked up at him.

He said, “I was not followed, unless the follower was able to cloak himself by means of magic. Let us go out to dine at different restaurants for both lunch and dinner for the next few days. It will give me opportunities to watch again.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.