Back Trail - Cover

Back Trail

Copyright© 2023 by Zanski

Chapter 21

Wednesday, after lunch, Gabriela and Malik were strolling slowly around the perimeter of the hacienda’s inner courtyard, walking in the shade of the verandah.

Malik said, “Where will we live after we get married?”

Gabriela replied, “We’d be— Wait! Married? Are we getting married? Have we been talking about getting married? Just hold on. You haven’t asked me to marry you.”

“I was kind a’ hopin’ you’d ask me, but I’m getting’ tired of waitin’,” Malik said.

“Me ask you?! That’s not how it’s done,” she protested

“And I’m just supposed to take your word for that?” he asked, looking at her, askance.

“What? Take my word? What are you talking about?”

“I thought we were talking about getting’ married. But if you’re goin’ to fight the notion like this, maybe I was wrong to expect you wanted me to marry you.”

“But I do want you to marry me.”

“Well, then, I accept your proposal,” Malik quickly responded. Then he called, “Christina! Christina! There you are. Gabriela just proposed to me! We’re getting married!”


“Seriously, though, where will we live?” Gabriela asked.

That evening, after supper, Malik and Gabriela were both reclined on his bed, their backs against the headboard, his posture, due to the injured ribs, notably straighter than hers. Both were fully clothed, though the door was closed, as Malik intended that their conversation be private.

At supper, it had been decided that the wedding would take place at the Malik ranch, since it was more accessible for everyone, save for those at the Lestly and Tsosie ranches. But most of the guests would be from Waypoint and other towns along the railroad. In addition, the Malik ranch families knew how to throw a fiesta for a large number of guests.

But now, their private discussion returned to the more difficult problem of their intended residence.

Malik said, “I’ve thought about that and I have to confess, I don’t have a good solution. The issues that I think most effect it are primarily these two: On the one hand, you love your ranch, which, having been there, I fully understand. On the other hand, my profession requires me to be accessible to people. At the same time, I require access to various government offices and courthouses, as well as a means of timely communication with both clients and judicial centers. In town, both communication and access are provided by the railroad, the express messenger service, and the telegraph. On top of all that, I have properties to manage, improved and unimproved real estate in and around town.”

Gabriela sighed and shook her head. “It seems insurmountable.”

Malik looked at his hands, held in his lap. “But I have yet another layer to those obstacles.” Malik dropped his voice to a near whisper. “Along with some junior partners, I am in the process of purchasing the old Jackson County Courthouse.”

Matching his tone, Gabriela said, “The old courthouse? The building they’re about to vacate? Whatever for? Going to start your own government?”

He chuckled. “That’s a tempting thought, but no. We are going to convert the building to an inn. A place for transient business people, attorneys, folks who are in town for only a day or two. The type of business the Railroad Arms supplies but The Old Courthouse Inn will maintain much higher standards. That lodging will occupy ten rooms and a suite, all on the second floor.

“On the lower level, besides a reception office and two back offices, there will be a restaurant. We will have a different fare than Molly’s, as I don’t want us to compete with the Rademachers. Our restaurant will be more selective, have a distinctive menu, and be more responsive to individual customer’s preferences. There will be a separate private dining room or conference room that can be divided into two, using movable panels.”

“As you might expect, both the lodging and the dining will be a little higher priced than the current services, but I want the guests to feel that it is money well spent.”

“My goodness, what brought all this on? I have a difficult time picturing you as an urbane hotelier.”

“I’m not really sure. Maybe it came from being in an office across the street from a rather plain but handsome building. In my mind, I saw it in other painted livery, tan, with medium green trim. Nicer plantings and a tended lawn. Wider walkways. Hitching rails away from the doors, away from the building, altogether, maybe a small stable on the alley.

“And I was disgusted with the state of inn keeping in Waypoint’s business district. I wanted to see something genuinely welcoming and friendly, classy without being stuffy, and a touch of the food and the accommodations available in big cities, like Saint Louis and San Francisco.

“Finally, I think Waypoint is in a good position to become a regional commercial center for this part of the state. I want to foster that growth.”

“Boy, howdy! But you’re right, it does complicate the problem of our abode even further.”

“True, but perhaps not all that much more. Two of my junior partners are experienced in lodging and restaurant fare. They will be providing the actual management. I am simply the owner, or at least the majority shareholder. I will not need to be in attendance, except to keep abreast of major concerns.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.