Back Trail - Cover

Back Trail

Copyright© 2023 by Zanski

Chapter 16

That evening after supper, Malik wrote on a sheet of clean folio paper:

Thursday, August 6, 1885

In my room at Mrs. Kuiper’s.

Mrs. Kuiper served a venison roast this evening, a product of Cowboy’s foray with bow and arrow along the river bottom today. This evening, he has gone out to the ranch for a two-night visit. Since it would seem “un-manly,” it has been my closely-held secret, for many years, that I do not care for the taste of venison. I suspect Cowboy may have deduced that secret. I have an idea that it may have been behind Cowboy’s peculiar sense of humor when he brought Mrs. Kuiper the muley buck, and then made himself scarce. I will find a way to return the “favor.”

I am nearly caught up with work. The last bit, a somewhat knotty contract between two ranchers, continues to vex me. The contract is for an exchange of livestock over the next five years. They are trying to run complimentary operations that will allow both to increase production while contributing to greater economies. The difficult part comes in the determination of, and accounting for, the inevitable overages and “underages” of herd production. Each man has his own notion and I am trying to find a middle ground.

The most important meeting of the day, however, occurred when Mr. Robert Smith, our bank chairman, brought me my first full month’s supply of the Guardia Real cigars. He accompanied the delivery with the gift of a beautiful black lacquered humidor for my desk. It is from Cuba and has stylized palm trees carved into its lid. I am quite pleased with it.

Later on, George Miller, the county clerk and a friend of my father, joined that meeting. It turns out, Mr. Miller is one of the four members of the cigar-purchasing syndicate. We entered into a discussion regarding the fourth member, who is two months arrears in his payments. That worthy turns out to be none other than your brother-in-law, Granger Lestly. Mr. Smith has been attempting to contact Mr. Lestly for some weeks, but to no avail. We agreed to cover Mr. L’s bill temporarily, but only at a penalty of twenty-five per cent of his recently delivered stock.

Mr. M also informed us that some large seed & feed concern has made an offer to purchase the old courthouse. I would have thought such a concern would be better off closer to the railroad tracks, what with all their bulk cartage. I suggested your old favorite, the Railroad Arms, for conversion to a warehouse. Mr. M accused me of disloyalty. He gave some hints that the county was desperate for cash after federal subsidy funds seem to have disappeared in Washington City. It makes one wonder as to the truth of the matter...

As boring as all that is, they were the highlights of my day.

Until tomorrow...

On Saturday, Malik posted his week’s worth of accumulated notes to Gabriela, via railroad messenger express.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.