The 1st Farmer - Cover

The 1st Farmer

Copyright© 2023 by Adam.F

Chapter 8

Matt’s musings were interrupted by the parson who introduced himself. “Welcome to the Community Church. I am Philip van Dreck, the parson here.”

Matt introduced himself and related that he lived several miles north of town. Their conversation was brief, and the pastor soon moved onto greet other parishioners. It was one of those parishioners, Freya Gustafson, that primarily interested Matt. Of course, other local men must have had the same idea as several were standing around; until Olaf ushered his wife and daughter onto one of the pews.

Matt bided his time knowing that a church social was scheduled for later that afternoon and evening. Some of the more forward of the men asked if she would attend with them. It was interesting to note that Freya announced that she already had agreed to accompany another suitor to the church social. That ended most of their ardor, but there are always a couple of them who would not accept ‘no’ for an answer. Olaf didn’t hesitate to reject their improper advances, telling them that only he would decide who his daughter shared the evening with.

After the services Matt ate lunch at the church picnic sponsored by several of the church wives. It was a ‘potluck’ meal and he had presented the women with a bag of potatoes for them to bake, a gift that was very much appreciated.

Matt made the rounds afterward making conversation about new farming practices that some of the families were attempting. He was approached by two other farmers that wanted to have some unimproved land cleared. He made a few deals that traded their labor and some produce for his machinery time. He wouldn’t be getting rich any time soon, but the goodwill such deals produced might pay dividends in the future.

That evening at the church social, Matt was surprised when Olaf brought Freya to the table where he was sitting. Olaf spoke, “Matt, would you escort my daughter this evening?”

“Why of course, Olaf. I thought that she had a male suitor already arranged for this event.”

“That was at my insistence, I’m afraid. I’ll not be granting any unknown gentlemen access to my daughter. You on the other hand are known and of good character.”

“Thank you. I’ll try to treat her as if it was you that escorted her tonight.” I replied.

Satisfied with my acceptance, Olaf returned to his table and held his hand out to his daughter. She stood and he walked to her side to my table. “Matthew, we will be leaving at nine tonight. If you would, please return her to our table by then.”

I accepted and Olaf left.

My first question was to find out if Freya had been consulted and agreed with her father. Freya answered. “Matt, if I may call you that?” When I nodded, she continued. “There are few families in the area that my parents know, and I have been formally introduced. It is not proper for a single woman to be seen in the company of unknown men, no matter how polite they behave. Some of those who proposed accompanying me presumed on my hospitality this morning. I have already asked my father to allow you that privilege. Thus, I am pleased to accompany you in public tonight. We’ll just have to see if something further develops.”

The evening seemed to pass swiftly. While we talked about inconsequential matters, for the most part. Freya also wished to meet other women at the social and chose the opportunity to have me escort her to their table. While everyone was friendly, the formality of the setting was something that I was not comfortable with. However, one of the families we visited had extended an invitation to a square dance for Freya and I. This surprised me; but I was happy to agree when Freya looked in my direction hesitantly.

Freya was smart, and much more articulate than I could ever hope to be. My education was mostly self-taught after I left home to join the cavalry. Before that it was hit or miss between planting and harvest seasons while on my parent’s farm. I never progressed past grade eight. At home, the only books available to read were the Bible and Poor Richard’s Almanac. They were often supplemented by the Sears Roebuck and Company Catalog and months old newspapers that were used as packaging for pears, bottles, glass, and other fragile items. While I could read and write and knew my numbers, I saw that Freya was more adept with language and geometry that I had only brief knowledge of. Rather than open my mouth and show my ignorance; I chose to listen and reply to only those things I felt comfortable about.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.