The 1st Farmer - Cover

The 1st Farmer

Copyright© 2023 by Adam.F

Chapter 1

Boom!

My Winchester 30-30 carbine rifle bucked into my shoulder with a reassuring thump.

henry-repeating-rifle-44-calibre.jpg

The Deer I had targeted had dropped to the ground without realizing it was already dead. Head shots usually do that, and I don’t miss very often.

I am Matthew Schmidt and I live in the hill area around Fredericksburg in Central Texas. My Great- Great Grandfather emigrated to this area not long after the Texas revolution.

My Grand Father had fought in the war against Mexico and later rode with the Second US Calvary in Texas and when Texas seceded from the union, he rode with General John Bell Hood in the confederate calvary during the civil war.

I grew up hearing of the exploits of my grandfather all during my childhood. My Father didn’t have any such stories to tell as he had never served, since he was never in a position to be called upon, I guess. you see my grandfather married a much younger woman after the war and my dad came along shortly afterwards. He seemed satisfied to be a creek bottomland farmer in an area where ranching was the way most men made their living.

My Grandfather Max Schmidt was getting up in years when I grew up and taught me to ride and shoot whenever dad wasn’t making me plow and work the soil in the narrow bottomland fields. Getting up before dawn was the only way I could get in a little hunting before following that plow around the fields for the rest of the day.

I loved hunting and particularly white-tailed deer hunting. The deer were a constant nuisance eating our corn and oats anyway. That’s why I was sitting in the crotch of a live oak tree overlooking the sprouting seedlings on this fine spring morning.

I was in a Quandary, emotionally that is, I unfolded the flyer that I carried and read in the brochure again in the early morning twilight, Join the first volunteer Calvary! Horsemen needed to win the war with Spain. A recruiting drive will be held in San Antonio on the second of May in the Menger Hotel. Only the hardiest of riders need apply, along with their mounts be there or miss out of this patriotic opportunity for all heroic Americans.

Folding the brochure, I had just put it away when a spike buck appeared at the edge of the clearing, my focus changed immediately, there was time enough to consider my future options later.

Mum was happy as I rode up with the deer draped over the back of my horse. She helped me as I finished skinning the gutted deer. She carved off a couple of steaks and left to cook them inside as I quartered and rendered the rest of the animal.

I hung the meat in the smokehouse and salted the hide for later scraping and stretching. I ensured the small fire was kindled in the smokehouse and left it burning properly.

After breakfast I pushed back my chair and considered how to break the news to my parents I was leaving and considered doing so without their blessing if needed. ‘‘Dad” I have made up my mind. I am going to ride to San Antonio and join the First Volunteer Calvary being recruited there next week.

Mum was quick to reply ‘You can’t, Matthew. You are just sixteen years old and not a man yet.’’

‘‘Mom Grandfather was just as old when he joined up” I replied.

‘‘That was different. In those days, boys often did foolish things like that. Those days are over and done with now. Good riddance!’ she replied, she couldn’t say whatever she really felt about him because of his recent passing. He had been the patriarch of the family holding it together for years. Had he been alive, I doubt I would have been able to muster the resolve to go against his wishes, I was brought out of my revery by my father’s words.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.