Steven George and the Terror - Cover

Steven George and the Terror

Copyright ©2023 Elder Road Books

Chapter 10: Beginning

STEVEN BREAKFASTED with the King. The banquet and the storytelling had gone well, in spite of the small disruption at the arrival of the main course. Many people had approached Steven respectfully at the end of the banquet to touch the magical sheepskin vest that he wore. While no one dared reach into his pocket, Steven was aware that a young woman who smiled at him also dropped a key in his pocket; an aspiring courtier hoping to gain favor at court dropped a coin in the pocket; and a particularly handsome duke sniffed slightly and dropped a small mirror in Steven’s pocket. Steven, himself, was a little surprised that his pocket did not bulge out.

Steven had spent a restless night, working out his decision regarding which road he would take in the morning. He had a strong desire to flee from the Kingdom and return to the southbound road where he had left Madame Selah Welinska. But the thought that the knife Armand Hamar had engraved for him and the sword that he had acquired in Byzantium might be waiting for him in Rich Reach was tantalizing beyond belief. Ultimately, Steven had decided that he would go the way of the King’s Road, deeper into the Kingdom of Arining. After all, he reminded himself, all roads lead to his dragon.

And thus, after breakfast, Steven shouldered his pack, his bow, and his staff, and set his face toward the city gates. The King embraced Steven again and gave Steven a small flag that, upon closer examination, looked remarkably like a shirt for a very small person.

“This will identify you to any who ask as an emissary of the King,” he said. Steven slipped the flag into his pocket. The King noticed and lowered his voice. “I must ask,” said the King, “is it true that everything you need is in your pocket?”

“The truth is,” Steven said, “that I have never needed much.”

“Ah,” said the King. “Good travels, Steven George the Dragonslayer.”

“Thank you, Your Majesty,” Steven replied formally; and then he began his journey out of the palace and toward the city gates.

Many people had gathered to watch Steven’s departure and to cheer him on as their champion to face the Terror. The first to meet Steven, however, was Sergeant.

“Will you be traveling with me, Sergeant?” Steven asked.

“No, my duty is here with the King,” Sergeant answered. “But I have a gift for you that may do you some good.” With that, Sergeant presented Steven with a loop of twine, to which a small stone was tied. Steven hefted the tiny rock. It was too small to be used as a weapon. It was not pretty enough to be worn as jewelry. He puzzled over it.

“From the very beginning,” Sergeant said, “the members of the King’s guard have worn a rock in memory of our ancestor who served the King while bound to a rock. This marks you, Steven George, as a recruit in the King’s Guard.” Sergeant paused then added in a low voice, “For protecting the King from a deadly waterfowl.”

Steven and Sergeant both laughed at this, and after Sergeant slapped Steven on the back, the Dragonslayer placed the rock lanyard in his pocket and continued toward the city gates. He had not gone far, however, when the King’s cook rushed from the palace to catch up with him.

“We met only briefly when I shooed you from my kitchen and then again under a tablecloth,” said the cook, “but I could not let you leave to face the Terror without some lunch.” The cook handed Steven an oilskin packet. “It’s a duck sandwich,” the cook whispered. Then he scurried off to return to his kitchen.

Steven smiled at the joke and placed the sandwich in his pocket. Just before he reached the gate of the city, however, a flock of children blocked his way. The children were silent, but pushed one of the smallest forward. The shy child looked up at Steven and smiled, then threw a ball to him. This was quickly followed by two more balls that Steven began to juggle.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.