Pressure Cooker - Cover

Pressure Cooker

Copyright© 2022 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 6

Tiffany, Please, was in Dad’s study ... with the door closed. Amber was uncomfortably seated in the hall. The dresser was there to make sure Amber didn’t spy.

When mom was alive, Daddy never closed the door. Amber was always welcome ... even when mom and dad were ‘having a chat.’ Having a chat usually meant mom was worried about Amber’s growth ... spiritual, personal or civic.

But the door was closed, locking Amber out of the decision making.

Fairly soon ... not soon enough for Amber, the hall chair was awful, her back and bottom hurt ... the door opened and Amber was summoned.

“It has been decided that ‘Finishing School’ would be good for your development. Arrangements have been made for a cruise to Europe followed by a tour of the continent. You will visit England, France, Italy, possibly Spain ... not Portugal ... the Central Eastern States, the Netherlands ... Holland, Denmark and Belgium. Sweden and Finland are including due to your ancestry. The school is in Switzerland and will be last on your tour.

“You will be accompanied by a professional guide. Your guide will always be in sight.”

“Umh...”

“No,” said Tiffany, Please, “The decision has been made ... you will go.”

So ... in due course ... Amber graduated from Freshman to Sophomore ... and from limousine to railcar to taxi to liner ... Liner. She hated New York City ... but her time there was so short, she never got a real taste.

The Queen Elizabeth 2 was on her maiden voyage. The New York to England part was scheduled to begin on the Eighth of May, 1969.

Amber’s professional courier deposited her at the gangway ... and left. She would be met, she was told. Her baggage disappeared into the ship, she mounted the gangway. Approaching the podium she gave her name to the exceedingly stern and suspicious officer, a clerk. The passenger list was checked ... her name was found and, much to the ire of the clerk, Amber was supposed to be on the cruise. A conductor waiting in the wings was was summoned. His eyes widened when he was informed of ‘the young miss’s status.’

“Please to follow me,” he bowed.

Amber was whisked away to First Class.

An attendent was settling Amber’s baggage into her stateroom closets.

The QE2 was rather more utilitarian than previous liners. While NOT plain, she was not ornate... “We are not Italian,” was often heard by the guests. The luxury expected was provided by superior service and not by ornamental detail.

That she was 15 and unaccompanied was soon explained by her birthday.

She turned 16 on the ship. In England, 16 is the age of consent.

Whee!!

Her party was the stuff of legend ... Captain’s Table, the orchestra played ‘Happy Birthday Sweet Sixteen.’ Dining ... Dancing ... Dallying. She was touched by fingers not her own ... first time too. It was dizzying, exciting, and more impressive than the Prom.

A young ... and handsome man secured a dance ... followed by another ... and then another. A rendezvous was scheduled for the third night.

The young and handsome man was NOT alone. Her second dance partner was there.

“Nothing personal, Amber. Your stepmother paid.”

She was coshed and tossed overboard.

No one noticed.

No one heard the splash.

Sharks follow ships. Tidbits have been known to be tossed off the stern.


The sun was up, the room was a cheerful yellow ... the sheets were white with daisies. However, the bed was stainless and her attached plumbing was clear and sanitary. Her robe was hospital and tied behind. The monitors were placed in such a manner that she couldn’t read them. As she was looking ... a monitor and pump activated.

“Hmm?” she thought. Just before the light went out...”I have been here before.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.