The Privy Report - Cover

The Privy Report

Copyright© 2022 by Old Grey Duck

Chapter 57

“Daddy? How about you add another trivia chapter to the Privy Report, for Independence Day? If you do, I will...”


The history of the 4th of July is truly fascinating. The story of how the United States of America went from being a group of English Colonies to an independent nation is filled with triumph, hardship, perseverance and freedom. A lot happened when America became its own country, and there are a number of things most Americans don’t know about it. And as many have stated that they want to see the answers to each question right away, I have done so.

1. Question: Who ruled England when the Colonies established independence?
Answer: King George III

2. Question: How many people were estimated to be living in the Colonies when they gained independence?
Answer: 2.5 million

3. Question: Which city hosted the first official Independence Day celebration on July 4, 1777?
Answer: Philadelphia

4. Question: When was the first 4th of July celebration held at the White House?
Answer: July 4, 1801, when Thomas Jefferson was president

5. Question: How many times does the Liberty Bell ring on each Independence Day?
Answer: 13 times

6. Question: What is the location of the nation’s oldest 4th of July parade?
Answer: Bristol, Rhode Island

7. Question: What was the first state to declare the 4th of July a state holiday?
Answer: Massachusetts

8. Question: What year was the 4th of July declared a national holiday?
Answer: 1870

9. Question: Which three U.S. presidents died on the 4th of July?
Answer: John Adams (July 4, 1826), Thomas Jefferson (July 4, 1826) and James Monroe (July 4, 1831)

10. Question: On the flip side, which president was born on the 4th of July?
Answer: Calvin Coolidge (July 4, 1872)

11. Question: Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest has happened on each Independence Day since 1972. Where does the competition take place?
Answer: Coney Island, New York

12. Question: According to the National Hot Dog & Sausage Council, roughly how many hot dogs are eaten on the 4th of July?
Answer: 150 million

13. Question: According to the National Retail Federation, how much money are people expected to pay, on average, for the food for their 4th of July bash this year?
Answer: $193.34

14. Question: What is the largest 4th of July fireworks display in the U.S.?
Answer: The Macy’s 4th of July Fireworks celebration in New York City

15. Question: According to the American Pyrotechnics Association, how much did Americans spend on fireworks in 2023?
Answer: $2.3 billion


Speaking about spending so much on fireworks, please remember these commonsense tips.

Never allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks.
Always supervise children, including when using sparklers.
Avoid purchasing fireworks that are packaged in brown paper.
Light fireworks one at a time.
Don’t place any part of your body directly over a firework device.
Keep a bucket of water, garden hose or fire extinguisher nearby.
Never shoot fireworks off in metal or glass containers.
Make sure fireworks are legal in your area before buying or using them.

(At this point, Sweetie said: “I’m thinking that, sadly, this is the last week a number of blokes have all 10 fingers.”)


We would like to wish everyone a Happy Independence Day. I love this nation, and I’m grateful to live here. Sweetie agrees. - OGD.

(And yes, she did...)

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.