The Privy Report - Cover

The Privy Report

Copyright© 2022 by Old Grey Duck

Chapter 37

“If you drink, don’t drive, do the Watermelon Crawl!” - Tracy Byrd

National Watermelon Day is celebrated on August 3rd each year to honor the delicious and refreshing fruit.

National Watermelon Day is celebrated each year on the 3rd of August to celebrate the delicious fruit. Watermelon is known to be 92% water which makes it an amazing snack and a great way to stay hydrated.

The history of cultivation of this fruit dates back to 2000 B.C. with the first watermelon seeds found in Northeastern Africa that dated back to 5000 years ago.


The National Library of Medicine mentions: “Archaeological remains of watermelons, mostly seeds, that date from 5000 years ago have been found in northeastern Africa. An image of a large, striped, oblong fruit on a tray has been found in an Egyptian tomb that dates to at least 4000 years ago.”

Today this fruit is a choice of many people. China is known for its high production of watermelons with over 38 million produced in 2020.

On this great occasion, we bring you some interesting facts about watermelon:

According to Guinness World Records, the heaviest watermelon ever cultivated was 350.5 lb grown by Chris Kent in the USA. He received the prize for it on October 4, 2013.

The official name for this delicious fruit is Citrullus lanatus according to the National Library of Medicine.

Watermelon.org states that there are over 1,200 varieties of watermelon that are grown across 96 countries worldwide.

Watermelon is considered as a popular gift for hosts in China. According to the Journal of Agriculture, this fruit holds agricultural cultural heritage in China.

Early explorers used this fruit as canteens according to Watermelon.org.

Watermelon rinds can be used to create pickles. The first recipe for this was published in 1796 in the American Cookery cookbook.

According to FAOSTAT data, the United States is the 8th largest producer of watermelons in the world. China holds the top spot.


Here are some ways through which you can celebrate National Watermelon Day:

Organize a picnic: Gather your friends and family and celebrate this amazing day by eating watermelon.

Host a watermelon carving competition: This is a fun activity that will keep the young and the old ones engaged. See who can carve the best watermelon.

Go on a watermelon hunt: Hide watermelons around your yard or neighborhood and provide clues to your friends and family to find the hidden watermelon treasure. (Children may need to use wagons to pull them around.)

And don’t forget the classic Seed Spitting contests. Distance and target accuracy!

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.