The Privy Report - Cover

The Privy Report

Copyright© 2022 by Old Grey Duck

Chapter 15

From: GrandPaM Ok, so what ARE the “hundred ways to cook an egg”? (Hey, you brought it up!)

WOW!!! I want to thank all of you who offered suggestions for the list of “100 ways to cook an egg”. I have posted the comments from the readers who took the time to share their ideas (and recipes) with me, and us. Yes, we may see a few repeats, but that just shows that great minds think alike and we have good taste! - OGD.

From: I.Luks: sunny side Up

From: gschies I suspect that I’ll be about #37 or so in suggesting you scan through what “Wikipedia” has to say on this matter; BUT I’ll add a a handicap. You have to look through NOT ONLY the English version: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_egg_dishes, but also the others, like the German one: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eierspeise - and have fun while trying to sort out the different varieties ... auto-translate might turn out to be a dubious friend in this ... Regards (and good appetite!)

From: stories26050 This article has a list. It includes in recipes. https://countryroadsmagazine.com/cuisine/recipes/100-ways-to-fix-an-egg/#page=1 Deviled eggs is another way to add to the list.

From: fsmith Re: Egg cookery. I think it is egg recipes not ways to cook an egg. Only one way to cook and this is with heat (or it’s eating them Rocky style). Other boiled egg that was omitted is coddled (used in Caesar salad dressing). Under omelets; there are English omelets, French omelets, American omelets, Cuban omelets and Chinese omelets (Egg Foo Young). Baked eggs; hard, soft or runny. Speaking of runny, Sunny Side Up fried. Egg sauces: Béchamel, hollandaise, mayonnaise, pasta carbonara. Custards, plain, flan, lemon curd, vinegar (pie) plus many more Meringues and macaroons. Many flavors. Shaksuka. Dozens of variants. The more I think about it, 100 is a very conservative number

From: jymiller13 Frittata Soufflé Eggnog Hollandaise Raw Egg Prarie Oyster Deviled Eggs Eggs Benedict

From: Grayson Aahr shirred, coddled (maybe) huevos rancheros. Have you checked Joy of Cooking?

From: patrickadultclan In interest of saving you some effort I found this cookbook on the internet Le guide culinaire PDF English. It is a French cooking book and has 143 different recipes for eggs.

From: Krista I like to take a piece of bread and with a small plastic cup, cut out a circle in the middle. Then a little butter on each side. Put in a frying pan and then crack an egg into the center of the hole in the bread. Cook with low heat and then turn over and cook the other side. I don’t know if anyone else does this. I call it a ‘bullseye’.

From: mingdiaz57 Eggs: 1. Roasted. It really helps to drill or knife the fat end to puncture the membrane air sack. Buried in hot ashes is effective. 2. Pickled. Usually after hard boil or roast. Spices make all the difference in flavor and the vinegar to water ratio should never be less than 2:1. Dom

From: drgnmstr From: drgnmstr12/10/2022, 5:23:08 PM Don’t forget coddled and baked and deviled and pickled.

From: cybergrayghost Good Afternoon, well in doing a quick internet ‘search’, I found a site that refers to to other methods that you don’t have listed as well as another point of reference. The two they mention that you don’t have listed as shirred (cooked/baked in a ‘flat’ dish) and pickled. The reference they bring up is Escoffier’s standard tome of French cooking, “Guide Culinaire” from 1903, where it’s said you’ll find 143 ways to prepare an egg. I honestly haven’t verified this last point but ... Hope this helps!! Martin M.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.