Goodbye Miriam - Cover

Goodbye Miriam

Copyright© 2022 by happyhugo

Chapter 10

Guido did the introduction, “John, this is Sam Giles. He is giving us some suggestions on updating the place. He’s looked at the dining room and the kitchen.”

“I hope he isn’t planning on changing anything in the kitchen?”

“Nope, he is impressed with it just the way it is.”

John smiled and made as if to shake Sam’s hand. Sam pulled back. “John, I’d shake your hand, but it is painful. Consider me as your friend, anyway.”

“Glad you warned me. Does anyone want some breakfast? I’m thinking pancakes and sausage.”

“I’ll indulge.” Everyone would. The door opened just then all three women came in with Ricky.

Mary patted her protruding tummy. Hearing the offer of pancakes, she said, “The boy says he’ll try them,” which made all laugh. Ricky who had come in with his Mom didn’t say, but his eyes were sparkling.

John had a yellow work pad of paper and handed it to Mary. “Follow Sam around while Guido is measuring things that are going to be the list of items to order. Pete offered your help.”

“I’ll be glad to. I see Sam’s hands are badly crippled.”

“Yeah. He claims to be old, but I doubt he is sixty. Too bad.”

“Have you known him long?”

“Met him this morning. He came with Kenny, Chloe’s lawyer.”

“That’s my brother. Probably Pete asked Kenny if he knew anyone that can do what Sam does. They are all the time together. I have other brothers well actually they are all half-brothers. They are all older than I am and I’ve loved them forever.”

“Nice.” I wondered how Chloe was going to handle all this when she was working every evening in the Bar. Today, John was serving lunch in the bar and Chloe was observing and helping out a little. Guido was watching Ricky until he would pick her up at nine, tonight. I honestly couldn’t see how Chloe was going to handle the bar. There would be some nights she wouldn’t get home until after two in the AM. I wondered if Guido wouldn’t quit our business and Geno and I would be back bossing the whole construction business. Time would tell.

When Mary had written down all the information we needed, I was taking Sam back to his place when he said, “You two might as well see my operation. I’m going to have to give it up my hands are so crippled up. You know, that Chloe is too beautiful a woman to be operating a bar. She’ll be bringing in a lot of business because of it, but if she does run it, Guido won’t marry her because he’ll get jealous and they’ll be fighting all the time.”

“I know, but it was the only thing of any value she could get from her ex husband. I can’t say anything about it.”

“Why not, you work with Guido. Tell him your concerns.”

“The more reason because she was my fiancée at one time. She married a man named Harrison, but it didn’t last.”

“Okay, they’ll have to work it out themselves then. You still want to help Guido, I take it?”

“I want them to make a success of it, yes.”

–––––––––––––––––––––––

“Take the next street to your right you’ll come to my woodworking business.”

“Christ, you’re right in the middle of a bunch of houses.”

“I know. You want to buy me out? I’d let you have everything for a song and train you how to save a lot of money on rehabbing those houses you said Geno owned.”

“I thought you were just going to tell me where we could buy everything on that list Mary has in her hand.”

“I guess I led you to believe that. Actually, I can make all the finish parts I listed: the moldings, the panels, and make you a new bar that really is something. I have sheds full of lumber that soon will have to be moved. Five years ago, I agreed to move out of here mainly because of the noise the mill equipment makes. That will be in August of this year.”

“Why would you think I would be interested?”

“Kenny, my lawyer mentioned something. He said after you got done with Geno’s houses you had land enough to build a whole new housing development.”

“It is a thought, but we’ll see. I’m tied up for a while.”

We pulled in front of a small building that had a sign that said S G Woodworking on the end. The place looked dead with no one around. Sam volunteered, “Can’t run the mill after noon on Saturday or all day on Sunday. Originally when I had the mill running full-time, we worked weekends for the light jobs.”

“By light jobs, what does that entail?”

“Oh, bunch of stuff, like moldings, finials, appliqués, and knobs of all kinds and shapes.

“And your heavy work would be?”

“Solid wood panels, staining and sealing, you know things that need two men to handle. I can give you a good deal on pre-stained and sealed 3x16th Malaysian Luan paneling. If you use moldings to hold the panels together, I can furnish those and it will match or be a different shade for an accent for the walls. I have enough.

“Mary, I’ll have you bring John and Chloe by to decide—Monday if you can. The moldings will be pine, which will be the easiest to work with. I was buying the Luan by the carload from Canada, but I am using up most of my stock because I’m moving or going out of business soon.

“Pete, as soon as John decides, I will get it together with my two workers. It will be three days before it can be painted and sealed because it is stored in a cold lumber shed. It will take three more days to dry here, so let’s see, I have a truck if you get me help to load it. We’ll move it next Saturday and it will be ready by the following Monday and you can hang it. By that time you will be ready for it with the wall moved and rebuilt and the ceiling whitened. You can tell me what you need for the beams that hide where the wall went across the ceiling.”

Sam paused before adding, “I guess I hadn’t better attempt to make the bar unique. I forget, I can’t do those things any longer.”

“What are you doing for your hands?”

“Oh, I have a roll-on that has something called Lidocaine in it. It helps a little, I think, but the pain never totally goes away. Come on and do a walk through with me. I built this operation up years ago along with the carpenter business like you are working at now. Finally, I spent more time with the woodworking and let the other go. You could do the same if you bought me out.”

“I can’t really at this time because Geno and I started the business together and I am a minor partner with him. Geno is a great person and we were in Iraqi together. His family is back east and that is where he learned the business. I have no background in carpentry, but I do have some organizational skills. I would like the tour, though.”

Sam didn’t start any of the machines, but did show me how a ten dollar board could be transitioned into a hundred dollar product. I didn’t say anything about my wealth which all the time was increasing and I could have paid cash for Sam’s operation without blinking an eye.

Sam took us into the lumber sheds in the rear. These were metal sheds much like farmers used to store baled hay. The sheds could be disassembled in a day and resurrected in three. He added a fact. “The sawdust and shavings are just blown out into a pile and farmers do come in to get it for bedding. To make it more modern, it should be blown into a tall silo, and get the whine from the blower machine dampened down having it way above ground level. I haven’t done that because I’m being driven out of this location.”

Sam did have an impressive assortment of lumber stockpiled. There was a building where panels could be treated with stain and sealed. “I have one man working at this. He can work anytime I have a customer because it is a quiet operation.” That made sense. He continued, “I only need two men doing the milling and molding. It used to be one man and me, but I can’t do it any longer.”

Mary asked, “Where do you live?”

“Down the street half a block. The Mrs. and I built it and it is that far away because of the noise from the machines here. At that time this was all open land. I do understand why people think this shop is a nuisance and it is time I met the inevitable. The two men who work with me live with me now and help with meals. Christ, sometimes I have to ask them to pull my pants up and put my socks on if my old lady has gone out.

“Now you tell Chloe and Guido along with John what I have here and they can make the decision of what they can use of what I have on the list. I’ll see you on Monday.”

“Sam, I’ll call them this afternoon and I am going to search for something that can ease some of your pain.”

“I wish you luck, I haven’t found anything worth much yet. Drop me off at the house, if you would. Mary, you must be tired with you carrying the baby like you are. When is it due?”

“The first of May, Sam. I’m not having any trouble so far. I’ve had Chloe’s boy around a lot and am looking forward to having my own.”

On the way home, Mary stated she hoped we could find something to ease Sam’s pain. “I’ll search too, there must be something we can discover.” The only thing both Mary and Pete could think of was to soak his hands in a bath of warm water and Epsom Salts. They wondered if Sam hadn’t tried that already.

Mary was restless during the night. I was concerned because of the baby and looking back over the last couple of weeks we had some things happen with Ricky and his foot becoming normal. And also, she had been with Gina and Chloe over at the restaurant after Harrison left the area. Today she had been pressed into making a list of what was needed of different things to improve the restaurant. She had really liked Sam and felt sorry for a person who was crippled up the way he was.

Suddenly she sat up, or most of the way. She struggled a bit because of the baby bump. “Peter, are you awake? Wake up, I had another dream.”

“I’m awake love, because you called me Peter.”

“Yes, I was observing a conversation between Peter and Miriam. They were talking about the happenstance of the young boy, gaining full use of his crooked foot. This was much different than before. This was something they had prayed for in the past and had a great success. I felt they had at one time prayed for me to correct Ricky’s foot and we achieved it together with the success needed.

“I wasn’t Miriam like I was in the other dreams. They were talking about praying for a man with crippled hands. He was a man who fished and his hands had become crippled from tying knots on a fish net he was building. It was a new one and the old one he had, had become ripped beyond repair. He hurt so much he just sat dejected and wished he could die.

“They were praying sometime silently and sometime asking for directions.”

“Like how, or what, and could you hear?”

“It was like I was there the same as always before during the dream, but I wasn’t a part of it, maybe like eavesdropping. I felt they wanted to give me knowledge.”

“They probably were. Tell me, what they were praying for?”

“I assumed it was a higher being they were praying to, and they expected if it worked for the man who fished, it could work with someone I knew. In other words, it hadn’t happened yet and the situation was so similar, if their prayers were answered it would correct both persons.”

“Did you get any idea if they received an answer?”

“I did. They repeated it several times as if they had trouble understanding.”

“Please Mary, you should write it down before you forget it.”

“Pete, they gave explicit examples and there are three.”

“Can we find these items in today’s world after 2,000 years?”

“I think so. We may have to do some trial and error after research. The first I know can be constructed. It is for bracelets made of copper and copper wire for each wrist. Copper is a base metal and is beneficial to correct certain types of action that is wrong for some subjects performing everyday duties. It happens most usually in the hands and feet.

“Pete, I’ve seen men wearing a crude copper wire on their wrists. This though, was more explicit. The wire is made to encircle the wrist in three strands twisted together with a clasp fastened so it can be removed during bathing and reinstalled as soon as the bath is over and the wrist is dry. The ends of the wire must touch so the circle is complete. Does that make sense?”

“It does to me and a circle isn’t a circle unless the ends come together. How heavy is the wire?”

“I don’t know, Pete. Miriam didn’t say and Peter didn’t either.”

“Don’t worry, I’m sure we can figure it out. What else was there?”

“Water warmed from a mineral spring. Pete, how would we know what minerals are called for and where can we find a mineral spring? I wasn’t told what the minerals were. Pete, you must know, you read all kinds of odd books.”

“I do know a compound that has minerals often found in springs. Miriam would know if we had it available. The gladiators used it after battle in the Forum and used for pain. We use it for bruises and sore muscles.”

“You mean Epsom Salts? We mentioned that already.”

“That’s it. There is a town in Britain named Epsom that gave its name. But mineral springs of it are found in different places all over the world. Not good for open cuts, though. Luckily, it is cheap and can be purchased most everywhere. I imagine what we buy at the drugstore is made of pure compound of the same minerals.”

“Pete, do you really think we can help Sam’s hands?”

“I don’t imagine we can help that much because the bones in his hands probably have bone spurs. If those could disappear through some reaction of these compounds, his hands could be weak. Maybe not though, maybe the two together will re-generate some of the bone. What is the last item Miriam and Peter prayed for?”

“It was something crazy. They asked for some oil rendered from plants found nearby. I missed some of it except it was something used in anointing rituals.

“Mary, there all kinds of plants it could be. I’ll look up common plants in the land of Israel. Let’s see, I have no idea what plants that might grow here and there in that period of time in the Holy Land. That must be what they were referring to. I’ll Google oil that is used on a person’s hands and body. Stay right here and I’ll boot up the computer. Wikipedia will tell me.” It took me a half hour and I couldn’t find anything for sure.

“I may have to search through the Bible. Apparently, oil from a sheep wasn’t used or at least was not noted. Ditto the same for goats. Cattle were mentioned as being kept, but even that wasn’t spelled out. The Israelites left Egypt with herds of cattle before returning to the Promised Land which took them forty years. The word Neatsfoot oil came up and that was oil from the legs of cows. I don’t even know if that oil is used on the human body. It is mostly used on leather products to soften and protect. I’ll keep searching anyway.”

“Pete, I’m awake now. I’m surprised I’m being pulled back into that far back time, again.”

“Is it a burden to you?”

“Not really. You kind of absorbed all the information about me. My stigmata wasn’t mentioned but little, when Ricky’s foot corrected itself.”

“Yes, Mary, but we might as well face it, it is you who has the gift. Other than the markings on your body, this would be terribly strange.”

“It is odd, but I don’t feel it strange at all. It would be wonderful if we found a way to make the pain go away from Sam’s hands, don’t you think?”

“I do. Maybe this is what our life will be like. You know, every once in a while we are able to help someone. Say, is it my hand that the baby is kicking on your tummy?”

“I wondered if you would get onto the fact that he is getting lively when we are lying together like now.”

“I wasn’t sure, that’s all. Kiss me.”

We arose and had breakfast. While Mary was calling Chloe and John Langford, I began to search the computer for plants mentioned in the Bible. I soon found that in years past, this subject was studied and published already which verified that the plants Mary spoke about did indeed grow in and around the Holy land. When Mary relaxed, I asked her to try to remember what the name of the plants Miriam spoke about. The only name she could up with at first was Cannabis something.”

I laughed, “That is good old marijuana, and that makes sense for doctors here now often prescribe it for pain. Think hard for the others, although we will just go with the weed if you can’t think of any of the others.”

“I’ll try. Miriam did repeat it more than once.” I thought about this and there was no way I could force her to remember.

“Mary, did Miriam mention any kind of oil?”

“Not that I remember. She did say the lotion was more liquid than a soft balm.”

“Oh, I know lanolin comes from sheep’s wool. Probably this was so common it wasn’t mentioned so there should be some kind of oil. I think lanolin is a cake. I know cedar oil is distilled from cedar tree brush. I’m sure they had cedar trees back then.”

“Maybe they just sprinkled marijuana on and rubbed it in.”

“It had to be more than that to penetrate those hardened and bumpy fingers that Sam has. I’ll guess we should try cedar and cannabis oil, but there has to be more.”

“I know there is, I just can’t remember. You are soaking Sam’s fingers in Epsom Salts to soften them before applying this stuff. While we are talking, what do you want me to prepare for dinner?”

“How about spaghetti sauce on toast so we can melt cheese on it and have it like a pizza? Do we have hamburger? I like lots of meat on mine.” I received a smile and an okay.

I had stared at the computer long enough and sat on the couch, too bored to turn on the TV. I felt a presence and looked toward the kitchen. Mary’s face was white and she stood there with a scared look on her face.

“What’s wrong?”

“Pete, I just had a dream. I must have gone into a trance for a moment. I stood there with a box of basil in one hand and shaker can of oregano in the other hand.

“There was a shadow about five feet in front of me. It said, “Miriam, I guess you didn’t understand me when I gave you the condiment list last evening. One is Ocimum basilicum and the other is Origanum syriacum. In other words, basil and oregano. The main ingredient in this potion is of course the cannabis oil. Grind the basil and the oregano into a powder if possible. Mix in a small jar, 5 times one eighth (1/8) tsp of each powders with 10 drops of cannabis oil dispensed with an eye dropper. Add ten drops of cinnamon oil or ten drops cedar oil, but not both. This will be enough for 10 applications for one hand or five for both. Use five times a week. Use mineral waters for cleansing seven days a week. Miriam, Peter is the most wisest of men, sensible as well. He will help you with this.”

“Mary, repeat what you just told me and I will write it down.” She hurried and did.

I looked at it. I wouldn’t think that the two condiments would work with the oil that much. Can’t hurt, I suppose. “You say she said I was sensible?”

“She did, I felt she was laughing as she disappeared.”

“I think she might have been. We’ll look for a shop or store where we can buy the oil of marijuana. I suspect when she said to mix all these things together that she was aware it is too much for what results would be accomplished. They would do no harm, but not that necessary. We’ll go into a beautician’s store and look for some kind of salve to rub on Sam’s joints and fingers such as Aloe Vera. We can add the oil to what we buy. Sam will soon tell us if it is worth it.”

“What about the copper bracelet and the Epsom Salts?”

“Those two are important, but not for the same reasons as the oil and balm. I totally agree with all three and I’ll keep researching what else will help. I know the weed has several beneficial qualities. Miriam said I had sense. How is my lunch coming?”

Sam was waiting at his home when John and I arrived to pick up Sam. Mary was driving with Chloe and Ricky and met us at the wood working shop. We knew his wife was home, but apparently shy about meeting strangers. Of course, we were on business so this didn’t surprise us. John got out of the car and went to talk to Chloe and I opened the door for Sam so he wouldn’t have to struggle with the door latches.

I asked him to hesitate a minute. “Sam, I did some research on the condition of your hands. There is no quick fix I can discover, but I found three things that might give you some relief. How would feel about wearing a copper bracelet on each wrist?”

“I’ll try anything that will help.”

“That’s good. I see you have a watch on. Let me have it so I can compare the band to mine. That is the way I’ll know how large to make the bracelets.

“The other couple of items are more to soothe them. I want you to bathe them in warm water with Epsom Salts for at least twenty to maybe thirty minutes. The last thing is a compound applying a couple of oils. You can put the oil in a balm of some sort. I’ll get that as well.

“When you get this covering all areas of you hands, rub them gently until all the oil disappears. If none of that works, maybe you could try ultra sound to smash up some of the hard areas around your joints. That would be painful, I’m afraid, but it is an option that would have to happen over a certain period and not in one sitting.”

“I don’t know if I would want to go that route. Pain is hardly bearable now.”

“I understand and don’t blame you. Are you willing to try the first three things?”

“Sure, any relief would be good and hang the cost.”

“I’ll order what I need then. Mary will fit you for the bracelets. Let her rub your hands so you will know how it should be done. Will your wife mind if Mary shows you how to get the most out of the therapy?”

“Christ no, She won’t mind if she doesn’t have to bother with doing it. Oh, we still love each other but we have our disappointments. Most of it is because my hands don’t work that well any longer.”

“Well, have faith I can come up with something. I’ll give it my best shot.”

“I believe you will. I’ve never met anyone who has shown such concern.”

Sam’s two men were there when we arrived. “So Chloe and John, I’ll show you some panels and what the moldings look like that go with them. If you like them, I’ll have my men begin cutting the panels to size. Those will go right into the paint shop for stain. They can be sealed three days later. Pete, can any of your men spray paint?”

“Yes, if you can show him the best way.”

“That’s good because the panels are only two feet wide. If I can have two men besides the one doing the painting, that would work best. It’ll be a monotonous job, but each panel only takes a few minutes. They’ll be lying flat and then we’ll push that out into the drying booth on a dolly. The next day they’ll becoming back to be sealed and go right back into the booth. You have to do it that way to keep the spray off of them.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.