Simon - Cover

Simon

Copyright© 2022 by Writer Mick

Chapter 2

Paul Boden’s remarks to the team touched a spot in Simon Dalton’s heart. This really was a family. And a s a family they had the right to ask questions and speak freely and truthfully. Jerry had when he asked about Simon’s ‘sign’. And Paul certainly had as well. It was time for him to speak.

“Everyone, before you leave may I say something?”

“Sure, Simon,” Jerry Harden said. “Everyone, hang around a second!”

The group that had begun to head for the lockers stopped and came back to where Jerry stood.

“Hey everyone. Earlier today when we were walking in from the parking lot Jerry said something to me that I took exception too. He asked me if I was carrying a sign that said, “I’m Gay!” He made a flamboyant gesture with his hands. “I thought it was an insult. I guess I’ve been conditioned to think that if someone questions me in any way that they are being a bigot. But after hearing Paul and thinking about what Jerry said, I feel that I have to apologize to you.

“I got off the plane and was strutting down the concourse. I was just what Jerry asked if I was. I was a caricature of a gay man. I know that some of you are gay and no one that I watched acted ‘gay’. Everyone acted like a hard working swimmer. No one has all sorts of body piercings or severely colored hair. Things I sort of equate with being gay. Jerry asked me if I was going to be a serious swimmer or someone who would make you all look like fools.

“If you’ll allow me, I’d like to swim with you tomorrow and if I don’t completely mess up, I’d like to be a member of this family.”

Simon was expecting a more emotional response that what he got. Everyone was just saying “Of course” and “absolutely”. The guys patted him on the back and the girls smiled and nodded. Jerry looked at him and said, “We’re going to hit the showers and then head to the Union to get your credentials and have dinner. You want to wait in the locker room or out in the hall?”

“I’ll wait in the locker room with you guys.”

Jerry led the way, Paul Boden walked next to him. They talked about the food in the cafeteria and then Paul dropped what was going to be a very important piece of information on Simon.

“Our managers know when a hard practice is coming and always let the cafeteria managers know so they will bring in a large order of chocolate milk.”

“Chocolate milk?”

“Yeah, baby! Food of the Gods! High in carbs, fat, and protein. We rush out of practice on those days because that stuff goes straight into glycogen in the muscles and makes recovery smoother.”

“I never knew that.”

“Simon, my friend, you are going to learn a lot here in the next four years.”

“Your friend? After today?”

“You’re family, Simon. Just don’t stare at my junk.”

“Wouldn’t think of it.”

Simon smiled and actually felt himself standing a little taller as they walked to the Student Union. In the Union, Jerry led Simon to the offices and got Simon a temporary student I.D. before taking him to the cafeteria for dinner.

Everyone asked Simon about his home town and his swim team and were amazed at the low amount of work he did in practices. Some actually said they were a bit concerned that he might struggle on Saturday morning.

“Well if I do, I do. All I can do is give it my best shot. Afterwards you guys can let me know if you think I can cut it.”

“You’ll cut it just fine, Simon,” one of the guys said. “Just don’t get spoiled by staying in the house tonight. Remember, Freshmen need to stay in the dorms their first year.”

“So I didn’t ask; who am I staying with tonight?”

“Me. I don’t have a roommate this year,” Jerry informed. “He graduated and got a job coaching in Texas.”

“OK. Then you can tell me horror stories about the hard practices and how many visiting recruits have not made it and where their buried.”

“We don’t bury them, Simon,” Paul Boden said seriously. “We just pour them into a bucket and send them home to their parents with flowers.”

“Yeah, but the flowers are really pretty,” another one of the guys added.

“Now, I AM worried,” Simon said, really meaning it.

“You should be,” the same guy added. “Jerry, I talked to Coach before I left the pool. Do you know what he has planned for the morning?”

“No, I didn’t ask.”

“We’re doing “King of the Hill!”

“Oh boy. Simon, it looks like we really are going to find out what you’re made of,” Paul said seriously.

“Really?”

“Yeah. Simon, King of the Hill is a nasty one. The only way you get to finish practice is to totally fail.”

“Fail? You mean ... like ... die?”

“No, of course not. You just wish you would. You know the pain will stop as soon as you quit. But you don’t want to quit. The whole set is about being tougher than the set. But the lesson you learn is that it’s not if you fail, it’s if you fail well.”

“Great!”

“Yup. Finish your dinner and I’ll show you around some more of the campus,” Jerry said.

“I’ll join you,” Paul added cheerfully.

“OK.”

Simon’s answer seemed to have a little trepidation to it. The morning would be a true test of his character if what the others said was true.


Before they left the cafeteria, Simon was introduced to a couple of professors that taught courses he was interested in taking. The two seemed very interested in his future at State. The campus tour took Simon’s mind off of the upcoming practice and just managed to solidify the fact that Simon wanted to be here. There were areas of the campus that were like quiet parks and areas that were teeming with students and seem so alive. On the way back to the house, Jerry asked a personal question.

“So, Simon, I know you’re gay; do you have a boyfriend?”

He stopped walking for a few seconds and wondered where this was going.

“No. Gays at my school are not seen as normal and no one, even another gay guy wants to be seen with a flamboyant man. So, because of my choice of attire and my personality, I’m sadly single.”

“Maybe you’ll meet someone here. College has a tendency of drawing people who break out of their parents molds or their own personal shells. Some go crazy, some get mature. What do you think you’re going to do?”

“I honestly don’t know, Jerry. After your talk in the van, I needed to take some time to think about myself. As I was watching practice and looking at the focus they had on what they were doing I was amazed. No one was worried about what was coming; they all were dead focused on what was in front of them. There were guys on my team at home who would bag a set because they knew what was coming up. I didn’t see any of that.”

“And you won’t. Coach has really drilled home that what’s in front of you is your challenge. Right now, we aren’t worried about Nationals; our next meet is against a team we should blow out. We are focused on our performance there, even though it won’t be a challenge. You only worry about what’s in front of you and you make sure that what’s in front of you is on the path to the end of season goal.”

They continued to walk as the team captain and his new friend, Paul, pointed out the different features of the beautiful campus. They got to the swimmers house. Simon and Jerry said good night to Paul, and then went to Jerry’s apartment. He showed Simon the spare bedroom so he could unpack the back pack he’d been carrying around. Jerry knocked on the door and when Simon answered Jerry invited him to come to the common room to meet the team.

“Simon, this is the gang.”

Jerry introduced all of the guys and girls in the room.

“We each said some things at practice and we know everyone had to eat and hit the books before bed. So, at this time, does anyone have a question for Simon? Simon, do you have any questions for the team?”

“Is ‘King of the Hill’ really as bad as it sounds?”

A girl with very big arms raised her hand.

“Chloe,” Jerry chuckled. “You don’t need to raise your hand.”

The muscular girl giggled, “Sorry. Force of habit, Simon, do you have a girlfriend?”

“Chloe! Are you after the poor guy already?” A tall blonde asked.

“He’s cute!”

“He’s gay.”

“He’s gay?”

“I guess you missed the memo, Chloe! Simon is very gay,” one of the other girls said.

“What does it mean when someone says that I’m very gay?”

“Let me answer that,” Simon said quietly. “There are guys who are quietly gay, like Jerry and guys who are sort of out there. When I got here I was one of the latter. I think that it’s a defense mechanism, now that I think about it. No one bothers me at school or when I’m out because they’re afraid it will rub off or something like that. So I acted in some outrageous ways, but when I got here I found that it wasn’t necessary to hide myself behind that gay guy.”

“Wow,” Chloe said.

After that came the normal questions about my best stroke and my favorite race and who my arch rival was in high school and at my club.

“I don’t swim for a swim club. I only swim high school.”

The room went stone silent out of shock.

“Wait! I saw your best times. You mean that you swam that fast in only three months of training?”

“Yeah, I guess so. We didn’t swim a lot of yardage, but we sure trained at fast speeds.”

“Now THAT is interesting. Tomorrow is going to be a big surprise,” added a tall redheaded guy.

“Man, I keep getting this dreadful vibe about tomorrow,” Simon said.

“We’ve all been through it. It’s tough as fuck, but just remember, it’s all over as soon as you quit,” Paul said.

“If there are no more questions, I think Simon needs to get some sleep. We’ll see all of you at five AM.”

Everyone came by and individually shook hands and welcomed the recruit. Back in the room, Simon stopped as soon as Jerry closed his door.

“You’re gay!?”

Jerry smiled and nodded.

“You caught that little comment, huh?”

“Yeah. Nobody made a big deal out of it so I figured that I wouldn’t either. Were you going to tell me? Or were going to sneak into my room tonight?”

Jerry looked Simon straight in the eyes.

“If that’s what you really think, pack your bag and I’ll take you to an empty room. Then in the morning you can sleep in while we train and I’ll get one of the girls to take you back to the airport.”

“What? Wait?”

“No! After all you’ve seen and heard today, you really think that a member of this family would do that to you? It that’s what you think, you won’t fit in her ... at all ... ever!”

Simon hung his head and looked at the floor for a solution to this problem. There was none there. He looked up and saw that Jerry Harden had a tear on his cheek.

“Jerry ... I’m ... I’m sorry. I was way out of line. I apologize. Can I ask why you didn’t tell me?”

“Because it doesn’t matter where I stick my dick. My roommate is my partner and after I graduate I have a nice job waiting for me in Texas and we’re going to live together. I love him. I would never cheat on him. Especially with a child!”

“Ouch. Boy did I deserve that. I know how it feels and I acted just like the assholes back home,” Simon paused, took a deep breath and slowly exhaled. “I’d like to stay. I’d like to be a part of this family. I’d like to talk to you about your relationship, because, frankly, I have no idea how to have one and I’d like to learn as much from you as I can before you graduate and I get here next year.”

“I accept your apology. We’ll talk in the morning after practice. Go get some sleep.”

“Thank you, Jerry. I’m sorry.”

“Not yet but you will be in the morning.”

“Great,” Simon said with the feeling of foreboding returning. He went to his room and set the alarm on his phone for 4:30AM. Climbing into bed he ran through all that had happened today. He was still trying to get his feeling together when he fell asleep.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.