To Cheat the Devil - Cover

To Cheat the Devil

Copyright© 2022 by Jody Daniel

Chapter 3

Don’s Airfield, North West Province, South Africa. 12 June, 05:00 (UCT/GMT +2)

The sky to the east tinted over in the early grey of dawn. My biological clock was screaming; “GET UP!” My body said something else. Something like “Just a little longer...”

Last night went into the early hours of the morning entertaining two beautiful girls. With those beauties leaving at about one AM, I only got to crash at 01:20. But nothing that a good shower can’t cure, so I rolled and grunted my way out of bed and stumbled to the shower.

Last night. Yeah, what about last night? No hanky-panky. Only a nice social visit with the two beautiful women. Okay, Darya brought along a bottle of sweet white wine. This explained the “going to town” part of the two girls. Had they been planning this visit all along? One bottle doesn’t go far between three people, but nevertheless it oiled the conversation, and then there were little bottles of things in the “honesty bar”: Little bottles of brandy, scotch, vodka, and my word ... tequila! Darya was a little apprehensive, but with needling from Roxy, partook in the festivities.

I learned that Roxy was a bartender of distinction, and her knowledge of a few cocktails was without question: “Springbokkies”; peppermint liqueur brandy, with a shot of creamy “Amarula liqueur” on top, that becomes a headache in the morning, when one has overdone it the night before.

A “Springbokkie,” represent the colours of the South African National Springbok Rugby team. Green and Gold. A shot of green Peppermint liqueur, topped with cream white golden colour of the Amarula liqueur.

Please Wait while image loads

Amarula Cream liqueur is a sweet and creamy liqueur from South Africa. It is made from sugar, cream, and the fruit of the African Marula tree. The Marula tree is also known as the “Elephant tree,” or the “Marriage tree.” The alcohol content is around 17% by volume. It is neither a brandy nor a whisky, but the Marula fruit is distilled to produce a fruit spirit base.

Please Wait while image loads

The conversation flowed, and I found that both girls were excellent conversationalists. We touched on topics from world politics to the latest fashions in Paris and Milan. Who’d ‘ave thought that these girls (one never having left South Africa) would be so knowledgeable?

And how I ended up in the middle of the couch with a girl on each side of me, I don’t know. Things just went that way, but I was not complaining either.

I found it fascinating that Roxy, being termed as a “Cape Coloured,” was by no means as disadvantaged as the politics of the day wanted to make her out to be. Her father had a lucrative fishing business before he died and left her mother and Roxy in an advantageous position: not rich, but also not dying of hunger. Nice middle class people.

Darya on the outer hand, grew up in the mountain region of Tajikistan. She spoke Tajik, Russian, English, and even French, fluently. Being friends with Roxy, she was now attempting to learn to speak Afrikaans. That was a disaster according to her, but it was still early in the game, and she would improve quickly as time progresses. She obviously has a talent for languages!

Her growing-up years were not of the best ones, as a girl in a country that dismisses women and girls and was constantly at war. She learned the skill of survival long before she became a young woman. Forced into providing for herself, she was taken up in the resistance movement and there learned her skills with a Dragunov sniper rifle.

Darya did not elaborate too much about her early life, but just said that everything became “much better” since she met Mai-Loan and became an Angel; part of Mai-Loan’s “resistance” group.

There were laughs about her “adoption” by Ash and Angie, but she let on that for the first time in her life she felt loved and wanted; loved in the sense that she had a loving family to fit into. Although Angie and Ash were still not married, the three of them lived as a family; Ash and Angie as a pair, and she as the ‘daughter’. Roxy was now also part of that “family,” and they, Ash and Angie, were thinking about adoption of Roxy too. This line of thought caused a lot of giggles and laughs in the Rothman-Windsor household.

The friendship between the two girls grew, with both girls seeing the other like a sister and sharing each other’s ups and downs. This made me wonder what else they might share, but let’s not go there yet.

By one o’clock in the morning we ran out of steam, and I invited the girls to crash in the second bedroom. They both considered it for a moment but decided that it would be noticed by the others and cause much unwanted questions, stares, and smirks. So they declined, seemingly reluctantly, and headed back.

During the goodbyes, I got a chaste kiss on the cheek, and hug from each girl, and they set off back to Don’s place across the hill.

After the shower I felt much better and went in search of breakfast. The quadbike that Don loaned me was still parked under the shade-cloth parking next to the cabin. Well, I have driven one or two in my life, so this was no challenge for me.

As I crossed the north apron, I noticed that there was some activity going on next to a beautiful Hercules aircraft. She was parked outside one of the newly constructed hangars, gleaming in the early light of the dawning day. Her back ramp was open, and a swarm of guys were loading boxes and three of the Land Rovers into her belly. Ash and TC were standing to one side, so I drove over to them.

“Ah! Good morning, Ron. Slept well?” Ash asked.

“Morning, Ash, TC,” I replied as I switched off the quadbike and got off. “Yeah, slept like a log.”

“Hmm ... Some of the girls came in well after midnight, giggling and looked a little tipsy,” Ash commented and raised an eyebrow.

“If you’re talking about Roxy and Darya, they took me back to the cabin, and we had a nice visit,” I said. “Talked, and before we knew it was midnight.”

“And you just drank coffee?”

“Yeah ... Started off with coffee...”

“Hmm...” Ash grinned, and TC just smirked.

“So, are we loading up the first batch?” I said, changing the subject.

“Briefing at eight, after breakfast. Planned departure for 09:30.” Ash replied, “Dave and Don will be flying, and Lorie will be flight engineer. TC and his crew will be going as well.”

“Yeah! Time to get to know this country of Somalia,” TC said.

“And us? When do we fly out?” I asked.

“Day after tomorrow. But wait for the briefing. In the meantime, you should say goodbye to your two girlie friends, as they will be leaving with the second flight out,” Ash smirked, and looked at me. “That will be tomorrow...”

“They are both going to Somalia?”

“Yip! Darya, Roxy, Angie, and Mai-Loan will join us. Nadia will come along with me in the M2KN as RIO.”

“Radar Intercept Officer! That girl sure has all the skills,” I said.

“She’s good! Darya was trained as RIO as well, so don’t throw her away.” TC chipped in. “That girlie has also some great skills.”

“Well, time for breakfast,” Ash contributed as the last of the Land Rovers was winched aboard the Herc.

Please Wait while image loads

“She’s a beauty,” I said, and indicated towards the Herc.

“Tell that to Don and Dave; they love her too; flies like a dream; and fast. When this mission is all done, we’ll get you up to speed on her as well.”

“I can’t wait,” I said!

“Let’s go! Breakfast is getting cold,” Ash invited.

Ash and TC took off on two four-wheelers, and I followed out the airport gate onto the dirt road around the hill towards Don’s place. Looking back, I saw the sun has just cleared the trees to the east. A great day for flying. Not a cloud in the sky and hardly any wind.

With the cool slipstream blowing in my face, I felt much better after the short sleep. Damn! Time just went away last night while chatting to those two pretty girls. So, both girls will be in Somalia. Can this be good? And, which one do I like best? I like them both. Crazy, crazy, crazy, Ron! You went through your whole life so far without a proper girlfriend. Now you might have two, or are they just playing you?


Don Lambert’s Farm, North West Province, South Africa. 12 June, 08:00 (UCT/GMT +2)

Breakfast ran like yesterday. Only this morning instead of “boerewors” sausage we got pork bangers. There was also cereal with yoghurt, and fruit for those that wanted, and of course, litres of coffee, pure 100% medium roast Arabic coffee from Kenya.

The seating arrangement was the same as yesterday with Darya and Roxy, full of smiles and energy, sandwiching me between them again. This to the amusement of Angie, Tracy, Lorie, and Lisa. Nadia also cast an eye and smirked. No one said anything, but it was clear that Darya and Roxy had befriended me, and they were hoping for something else to develop. Me too, but what about Darya and Roxy?

With breakfast out of the way, Don asked everyone to gather on the patio. There was not enough seating, so some of us needed to stand. I got a place to sit down on the low patio wall. This time Darya and Roxy joined the other girls.

“Well, everyone...” Ash began, but was interrupted by TC.”

“ ... We are gathered here today to join in holy matrimony...” Laughter erupted, and Ash just smiled.

“If you’re finished, Major...”

“Oh! I thought we were going to have some sort of party...”

“Yeah, yeah, you know what this is all about!” Ash said and continued, “Seeing that the Major would like a party, we will give him, and his crew, a good send off. Don?”

“Yeah, okay ... Here we go,” Don said as he placed his pipe in an ashtray to the side of him. “The Herc takes off at 09:30. From here to HCMK in Somalia. It is 1733 nautical miles and will take five hours and ten minutes flying time. We will be flying at 25000 feet at a cruising speed of 355 knots.”

“True or knots indicated,” I asked.

“Knots True Air Speed, Rookie, or 660 kilometres an hour. Now, there will be three sorties out to Kismayo. Today we will be taking three of the Land Rovers and most of the boxes and crates. TC and his core group will fly with us,” Don continued.

“So is Lorie!” Darya interjected. Chuckles and laughter went around the patio and Lorie blushed.

“Lorie will be the flight engineer,” Dave interjected.

“Yeah, but the flight engineer, and the load-master must work together!” Angie added, giggling.

“Okay, everyone. Pipe down,” Ash commanded, with a stern look on his face. “This will take all day, if you keep interrupting.”

“Watch out Angie, you might get the long-promised belting you are craving.” Someone whispered, and I thought I recognised Darya’s voice. Ash just shook his head and Don continued.

“There will be three sorties. Today we will fly out to Kismayo and do a quick turn-around and fly back. Tomorrow we will fly the rest in two sorties and stay over in Kismayo for a day or two.”

“Ten hours, twenty minutes for a flight there and back the same day. That means tomorrow you guys will fly twenty hours and forty minutes! Don’t HR have something to say about that?” Mai-Loan spoke up.

“We don’t have an HR department!” Dave said, chuckling.

“I’m contacting my union...” Lorie sighed.

“We have no union!” Don said.

“Yes! I do! I belong to a union,” Lorie hit back.

“And what union is that?” Don asked, looking a little taken aback.

“The Union of Care, Love and Protection! TC, I want to lodge a grievance for unlawful labour practice. Bring out your biggest gun and protect my rights!” Lorie challenged.

Don sagged in his chair while all around him burst out laughing. Lorie smiled. Ash just looked at his sister and shook his head. Little Sticky-icky just got Don back for God knows what.

Then Ash laid down the clincher: “Ah, I’ve worked out the total fuel for all three of these trips, and it comes to 46650 gallons, or 176590 litres, about four and a half full sized fuel trucks.”

“WHAT?!” Don, the accountant, exclaimed.

“Never mind, our contractor for this charter has taken care of that, plus that of the Mirages, the tanker 707, the lot,” Ash said.

“You want to give me a heart attack by just rumbling off those figures?” Don exclaimed and reached for his pipe.

“Jeez, this guy must be darn serious to get rid of the target!” Dave commented.

“Dead serious. You won’t believe how serious. So, let’s not screw this up!” Ash stated. “So, if we’re all on the same page, let’s rock and roll!”


Don’s Airfield, North West Province, South Africa. 12 June, 10:00 (UCT/GMT +2)

Ash was in Don’s study. He had a call to make and needed complete privacy. Angie was guarding the door, but this was not really necessary, as all around knew that Ash needed to report progress to the boss.

The phone rang three times, and the grumpy answer came. “So, kind of you to call...”

“I would have called earlier, but I was busy.”

“So, save it.”

“Grumpy as usual, Charley?”

“As always! But this time around you don’t cost me money. That makes me happy.”

“If only we can make a business out of it, we’d be rich,” Ash said.

“To be rich is just an illusion. You always live to what you can afford; even rich people can’t afford everything.”

“That’s your side of the story.”

“Says the man that has a six million Rand penthouse with a permanent butler.”

“Caretaker. Anton is a caretaker.”

“Yeah, yeah. That’s your side of the story.” Chuckle.

“Well, the Herc took off on its first sortie. Tomorrow it will make two more runs.”

“Three runs? Are you taking the kitchen sink as well?”

“We take what we deem to be appropriate. There’s not much detail of what to expect where we are going.”

“And you need all the creature comforts of home?”

“I have been known to rough it before...”

Chuckle. “Just kidding, Ash. I know you know best, there on the ground.”

“That’s what I admire about you, Charley, you always come through for us.”

“I know what side my bread is buttered on.”

“Well, let me not keep you. I’ll let you know of the progress.”

“Thank you, Ash. Give my love to the girls.”

“All of them?”

“My Angels. Give my love to my Angels.”

“They are my Angels too...”

“If I believe the grapevine correctly, you’re about to lose two...”

“Oh, come on, Charley! Who would have gossiped with you? Besides, it’s too early to tell.”

“And that the rookie can shoot!” Chuckle. “National Champion! Springbok colours! My word.”

“What are you talking about, Charley? Nadia took him out to test his skill, and he flunked.”

“Not according to my information. But maybe I’m letting a secret out. Talk to Nadia.”

“I will do so!”

“Then be good!” And the line went dead. Ash stared at the receiver in his hand for a few moments, then he slowly placed it back into the cradle. Grumpy Charley always had more than one source of information. Better check with Nadia!

Angie looked over at Ash and smiled, “Shall we disappear for a while? I have this craving for a nice long shower...” And she fluttered her eyelashes. Ash got up from Don’s desk chair and went over to her.

“Well, sweetie pie, suddenly, I feel the urge too...” Then he kept quiet, wrapped her up in his arms and time stood still.


Don’s estate was overflowing with people. It seemed like organised chaos but if one looked closely, one would be surprised at how well things functioned. The Angels, Mai-Loan, Olivia, Leah, Nadia, and Darya were cleaning and inspecting firearms. Darya had her Barrett .338 stripped down on a sheet of plastic, all parts laid out in a logical way. Nadia had her .50 Desert Eagle stripped in the same way.

Please Wait while image loads

The girls were chattering about some or other subject of the day as Ash walked into the room.

“What’s up, Dad?” Darya asked, a happy smile on her face.

“I should ask you and Roxy that,” Ash replied.

“Why ask us what?”

“Oh, I just see some things, like much attention given to one specific person around here...”

“Oh, that!” Darya replied, and looked down at the parts of her Barrett, “Nah, we just helped to make the guy feel at home...”

“Yeah, like staying out till the early hours of the morning. I just wonder HOW welcome you make him feel.”

“Oh, come on, Ash! Leave the young ones to enjoy the social life,” Mai-Loan said.

Ash chuckled. “Yeah, like Grumpy Charley told me already that I would be losing two Angels ... and, oh yes, Nadia, what can you tell me of that certain person’s shooting skills? I believe that he DOES have some skills?” Ash said and noticed Mai-Loan looking down at her 9-millimetre, fiddling with the slide. Yes, she has a direct line to Grumpy too.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.