Letters From a Stranger Shore - Cover

Letters From a Stranger Shore

Copyright© 2022 by Freddie Clegg

Chapter 14

Part 13: Legal Manoeuvrings

Lady Amelia’s new found rank is threatened.

...

Brinswark Hall
Nr. Eyam
Derbyshire

26/07/03

Dear Miss Jones, I am writing with reference to your letter of yesterday.

I was most disturbed to hear that Cora Jefferson intends to pursue legal proceedings against me with the object of having my marriage annulled, my title removed and my inheritance denied.

I am sure you will not be surprised to hear that I will, indeed, wish to contest this.

When you say that she is seeking to have my marriage declared invalid on the grounds of incest, I must confess to being astonished. The suggestion that I am the daughter of the late Lady Julia’s husband is quite absurd.

I cannot imagine that what is being said by Lady Julia’s sister has any element of truth in it whatsoever.

You say that she has been informed of rumours and speculations by a previous employee of Lady Julia. Surely it is up to her to bring forward some proof of her accusations, rather than relying on tittle-tattle? I will leave you to discover what you can but I suspect these rumours originate from a housemaid called Beckworth who was dismissed by her ladyship as result of a complaint by myself. I can well imagine that there may be an acrimonious element to the accusations. She no doubt holds a grudge against me because of her dismissal. I should also say that there were several attempts by Cora Jefferson and her daughters to frustrate my relationship with James prior to our marriage, so it seems that this forms part of a pattern of vindictive behaviour on her part.

Although I wish to confront her accusations, I do not know how I will be able to give the lie to them. I have no information on the true identity of my birth father, as my mother has always claimed that she did not know how she became pregnant with me. You will be aware that Hugh De Kooning is my step-father and married my mother Helga only 10 years ago. I will, however, enquire to see what evidence I can obtain. Please be assured that I intend to counter these accusations in the strongest possible manner and communicate as much to Cora Jefferson’s solicitor.

On a separate but happier issue, I have a business interest I am thinking of pursuing which I would like your professional advice on. I certainly do not intend to put my life “on-hold” until Cora Jefferson is confounded. I wonder if you can investigate for me the possibility of trademarking a name for a business that I will shortly be engaged in. I shall explain things when we meet but the name is “Malay-Tex” and it relates to products of the Malay colonies derived from the sap of the Hevea Brasiliensis tree. There are extensive plantations of these in the peninsula and I hope to establish an important trading relationship with one of their main producers.

Sincerely Lady Amelia Jefferson.

... Brinswark Hall
Nr. Eyam
Derbyshire

28/07/03

Oh, Lucy
Terrible news.

I have been accused by Cora Jefferson of having entered into an incestuous marriage. It seems she believes that my true father was Lady Julia’s husband and that, as a result, James is my brother and so the marriage should be set aside. She aims to have my marriage set aside by the courts.

I can see how such rumours may have arisen. I know that Mama and Lady Jefferson were close friends and that she was in England at that time. Certainly Lady Jefferson’s reputation was as something of a libertine in her youth. I suppose a vindictive person might translate that into rumours that something of the like could have occurred. I cannot imagine Mama would have allowed me to marry James though if she had the slightest suspicion that we might be brother and sister. And although James and I are most certainly soul-mates, I see nothing in him to suggest that he and I share the same blood-line.

Anyway, I am writing to Mama, hoping that she will help me to confront the accusations. I can only hope she can tell me something that might prove Cora’s accusations untrue. I cannot imagine that Cora has any evidence at all but, as we all know, mud does tend to stick and the daily newspapers and scandal sheets would like nothing better than the whiff of bad behaviour among the titled gentry. Hopefully I will be able to head off Cora’s accusations before they become public knowledge.

Your friend, Amelia.

...

Brinswark Hall
Nr. Eyam
Derbyshire

28/07/03

Dear Mama,
I have to write to you about the true identity of my father, because, I am afraid, it has become a contentious issue that threatens James’ and my happiness.

Lady Julia’s sister, Cora, is seeking to have my marriage annulled, claiming that is incestuous because James and I have the same father. I have no way of disproving this of course.

Is there truly nothing you can tell me of the circumstance of my birth that might let me put the lie to these accusations? What can have led Cora to believe this?

Please do what you can to put my mind at rest.

On a happier note, all seems well for the arrival of the baby in a few weeks. I am feeling as well as ever (apart from an aching back). The midwife tells me all should go well as she expects no difficulties with the birth.

Your loving daughter, Amelia ... Brinswark Hall
Nr. Eyam
Derbyshire

02/08/03

Dear Mama,
I have your letter of 01/08/03. You must know it was something of a shock but at least it explains a little. I will not judge you for what you feel were mistakes in the past. I think you are judging yourself too harshly for I certainly do not hold it against you.

No matter how I came into this world, I am happy to be here and happy, too, to be with James. My only sadness is that I wish you could have brought yourself to tell me sooner but I can understand why you did not.

Your time in England may not have ended as you wished but if the result was your friendship with Lady Julia and my consequent good fortune in marrying her son then it has been a boon as far as I am concerned.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.