Pinhole - Cover

Pinhole

Copyright© 2022 by Fanlon

Chapter 27

On Wednesday morning, Laura was there to meet me like usual, except this time she didn’t look happy at all. She gave me the usual hug and quick kiss, but there was little to no emotion behind them.

“What’s wrong?” I asked quietly, not wanting to be overheard.

“My mom,” Laura growled.

“What about her?”

“She told me we have to go to my grandparents for Christmas vacation.”

“That doesn’t sound so bad,” I offered, smiling as I thought about when I got to visit my grandparents. “I wish we could this year, but we can’t unfortunately.”

“I mean, ugh,” Laura looked like she was ready to kick a rock if one was available just then. “I love visiting them, but I didn’t want to this year.”

“Why not?” I tried to read her face so I could glean something of what was going on, but her face just looked clouded over, as if a storm were brewing but hadn’t quite made it to the dangerous levels yet.

“It means I have to leave first thing tomorrow morning,” Laura answered and only then did her sour mood break into something more pitiful, sorrow. “That means I won’t get to help you develop the pictures on Thursday. I won’t even get to see them before you have to send one to Katie’s dad.”

“Oh damn...” My shoulders slumped at the information. I really wanted Laura to be there when I developed the pictures. “We don’t have—”

“Yes, we do!” Laura snapped. “I told you I would pose for you. I want to, okay?”

I nodded, I was about to say something else, but Laura kept going.

“Just because I won’t see the picture right away, doesn’t mean I won’t see it later.” Laura gave me a small smile, grabbing my hand and squeezing it lovingly. “So, do you know where we are going tonight?”

I grinned. I knew exactly where we were going. It was going to be perfect. Dana had figured it out and let me know the day before. We agreed to keep it a secret from Laura. We both knew it would drive Laura crazy, but that was half the fun of knowing something she didn’t. She tried to ask nicely to no avail. Then she tried to demand where it was but neither Dana nor I gave up a single hint.

Now Laura was reduced to pouting. The bad thing was her pouting face only made me smile which made her mad. She would smack me hard enough to know she was mad, but not hard enough to not laugh. If you compared her look right now to that of a five-year-old girl who didn’t get her way, you would assume they were the same age.

Dana met us just inside the doors and started smirking when she noticed Laura pouting.

“I see you haven’t told her yet,” Dana said.

“It’s not fair,” Laura whined.

That set Dana laughing, and I tried my best to not join her but then Laura clinched her fists and stomped a foot, and I couldn’t hold it in any longer. Laura growled like a little puppy that didn’t want to be picked up. I managed to cut my laugh off, but Dana was red faced and bent over holding her knees laughing hysterically.

“Fine, be that way!” Laura announced and stomped off down the hall.

“Now look what you did,” I told Dana who was still laughing but was still able to shrug in response. “Laura, wait up!” I called out, hurrying after her.

For the rest of the day the only thing Laura would say to me was, “Are you going to tell me now?” When I didn’t, she played at ignoring me, turning her head away from me and not letting me catch her watching me. I watched her, not quite staring, but looking at her long enough that I thought I might catch her taking a quick peek at me. She didn’t, not once, but when I wasn’t looking, I swear I could feel her eyes on me.

If it had been anyone else, I would have believed they were truly mad at me. Laura however, kept hold of my hand the whole time we were together. If we were walking down the hall, we would hold hands. All through lunch and then Mr. Watts’ class, she held my hand. Adam and Laura had actually switched seats in class which allowed Laura to remain close to me. I cherished every chance I got to be close to her.

After school Laura and I headed to the darkroom so I could grab my two cameras. I made sure they were loaded with photopaper and sealed tightly. Dana showed up as well and offered us rides home. We would have had plenty of time to catch the bus, but the idea of riding with Dana was more fun. Laura jumped at every chance she could get to not have to ride the bus. I didn’t blame her, but I would have ridden the bus every day for the rest of my life if it meant being with Laura.

Dana dropped me off first, saying, “Be ready at 7:00.”

“Okay,” I replied as Laura climbed off my lap allowing me to get out of the car. Laura stood there, smiling and I pulled her in for a tight hug. I pulled my head back slightly so I could look into her eyes. “See you later.”

“Looking forward to it.” Laura blushed, and I took that opportunity to plant a firm, but tender kiss on her lips that seemed to linger for much longer than I originally intended.

“Come on you two, hurry up. I’ve got things to do too,” Dana yelled out the open door from her driver’s seat.

When Laura and I pulled apart, our breathing was heavy, and she looked as flushed as I felt. Laura quickly climbed into Dana’s car, shutting the door, and waved. Dana didn’t waste any time putting the car into gear and slamming the gas pedal down. Taking off like she was running from the law, tires squealing on the dry pavement.

Waiting for 7:00 seemed to take forever. Every time I looked at the clock, thinking it had surely been an hour or so only to find out it had been ten or fifteen minutes drove me crazy. Needless to say, I was getting anxious. When 7:00 finally came, I was up and ready to go.

“Where do you think you’re going?” Mom asked just as I was opening the front door, my backpack slung over my shoulders.

“Dana is picking me up,” I answered quickly, too quickly.

“On a school night?” Mom put her hands on her hips, holding me in place with only the look in her eyes. “Does your dad know about this?”

Oh fuck! I didn’t even think to tell them what I was doing. Fucking shit, shitty shits!

“No...” I answered, my eyes lowering to the floor under my feet. “I was going to go take some pictures.”

“I thought you were done with that project,” Mom replied, and I noticed her forehead scrunched up in thought. “It’s been weeks since the last time you two claimed you were taking pictures.”

“We are taking pictures, I just didn’t have umm...” Think you idiot!

“Didn’t have what, mister?” Mom demanded and from that tone of voice, I knew instinctively I was on thin ice.

“A model.”

Honesty is the best policy. I had been taught that lesson since I was old enough to talk. I had also learned it was a lot easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. It’s a double-edged sword; damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

“A model, why would you need a model?”

“Mom! Why else would I need a model if I am taking pictures?” I complained.

“Be back in two hours or you’re grounded for two weeks,” I heard Dad say from his spot on the couch. I couldn’t see him, but I didn’t need to in order to know he wasn’t joking.

“I will, I promise!” I replied excitedly.

Just then, I heard Dana’s car horn honk two short blasts and I looked at Mom, who was still standing there watching me. I waited for a second and once she finally nodded, I raced out the front door. I slammed it closed in my excitement and I instantly felt bad about it, but I was on a schedule without a minute to waste.

When Laura saw me close the door, she climbed out of the passenger seat and let me sit down before sitting down in my lap, holding my backpack for me.

“Okay, now will you tell me where we are going?” Laura asked.

She shifted so she could look at me and then looked at Dana. Dana raised an eyebrow at me in question and I nodded.

“Not too far,” Dana answered Laura.

My eyes opened wide in surprise while Laura’s jaw just dropped. I couldn’t believe Dana didn’t just tell her, but she was obviously having way too much fun at Laura’s expense. Dana didn’t give either of us a chance to ask more questions as the car lurched down the road and Dana cranked the radio to full blast.

When we hit I-80, I told Dana and Laura about what Mom and Dad had told me.

“I have to be home by 9:00,” I said.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.