Keeping Things Even - Cover

Keeping Things Even

Copyright© 2022 by Ka Hmnd

Chapter 7: A gift to the King

I woke early and slipped out of bed. Getting the fires going and adding extra wood did not take that long. I began my walk to the guards barracks by the Curtain wall. I was thinking about what to do about the letter from the King’s brother. I could not just kill him like Duke Sargonet or the Earl, well I could but was not going to.

The only thing I could think of was to give the letter to the King or exposing myself and that meant he would see me and possibly recognize me. I looked up at the two dark figures blocking my way. My eye’s flicked to the single knot on a string hanging from their jerkin. I looked into their faces and started to walk around them when one side stepped. I shifted my feet, “Can I help you?”

The one in front of me snorted, “We have heard of you stable boy. You think you are something...”

The other cleared his throat and the first shrugged, “Why are you out so early?”

I looked back and forth, “I have a lesson this morning.”

They gave each other a look and opened the way. I bowed slightly, “Thank you sirs.”

I went back to walking but started paying attention. There were a lot more people out then normal and most I knew were either thieves or assassins. I walked into the practice yard beside the barracks to see the Captain and another man I recognized. He was Duke Godfree uncle to the King. He was an older man and I hoped he did not recognize me.

There were several guards stretching like I had shown them. I moved to the side and tried to relax before I started stretching. A moment later I was lost in the moment as I bent and stretched. When I stood up I was face to face with the Duke. He smiled and held a hand out to me, in it was a wooden practice sword. I knew this was going to be different even before I accepted the sword.

I followed him to the center of the yard. What followed was almost a dance of strikes and parries, lunges and blocks. When the old man stepped back I knew he had recognized me and waited. He bowed slightly, “You do your mother proud.”

I bowed slightly but kept quiet. He sighed, “I wish it had been otherwise boy, your mother was the best I ever trained. Right or wrong, killing a member of the Imperial family in a tournament, even if he did dishonor...”

He shook his head and remembered where he was. He looked around at the silent guards around us, “Say nothing of what you heard.”

The guards all nodded and the Duke turned to leave. He only took a single step before looking back at me, “Stay in the shadows boy.”

He walked away as I shivered, he knew! I looked at the guards and realized they thought he was still talking about my mother. I moved to the captain and handed the practice sword to him, “There were assassins in the street this morning. They were stopping everyone and asking their business.”

He nodded and laughed, “The Shadow Thief stole their treasure and killed their idol.”

I stared at him and looked at the other guards who nodded. One grinned, “Someone I will not name even told me a very large basket of gold coins was given to the poor.”

I grinned, “He stole their treasure and gave it away?”

They all laughed and the captain slapped my shoulder, “I wanted you to go over some of the unarmed stuff.”

I nodded and moved back and looked around. I picked one of the larger men and they all grinned as he groaned. I began with simple blocks and holds. Once they had seen it, I had them pair up and practice. I moved around checking and correcting. I was still thinking of what I was going to do about the letter. I knew in my heart that I had to see him.

I left the practice yard later than normal and made my way back to the inn. The streets were alive with talk and gossip. Mostly about the snake skin left in Judgment square on the Speakers Stand. At the stables, I began my chores and was mostly ignored.

I did have to run a couple of errands to the brewers and to the marketplace. I was returning from the marketplace when another assassin stepped into my path. By his two knots I knew he was only an assassin and not one of their masters. I waited and he snarled, “Your business.”

I looked at him curiously and shook my head, “Go away. I have things to do.”

The dagger that dropped into his hand gave me a reason. I shifted and turned my body as he reached out to cut my face. Something they had started doing, they called it marking. My hand wrapped around his wrist and twisted as it bent the dagger back. I shifted again as his other hand disappeared into his shirt. I spun and straitened his arm before letting him go. He kept going and stumbled into a dung cart before catching his balance.

I followed after him and as the poisoned spike came out of his shirt. I slapped his face and turned slightly to catch his hand and twist. I let the spike drop before slapping him again. When he thrust with the dagger, I slapped it away and slapped him yet again. The street was filled with laughter as I kept slapping him and turning his meager attacks with the dagger away. When the laughing stopped, I stepped back, “Next time leave me to my business.”

I turned to see not one but two master assassins facing me. I bowed slightly, “Your apprentice needs more training.”

They were both stone faced but the one on the right glanced at the assassin I had humiliated. He looked back at me and smiled slowly, “Perhaps you would like to try us.”

I smiled but did not back up, “If I were to face two masters it would not be with bare hands and I would have to kill you.”

They were both attentive now. I guess it was time, my mother and father were both dead and no one could touch them. I straightened, “My name is Edward Fury and I am an Imperial Peacemaker.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.