Keeping Things Even - Cover

Keeping Things Even

Copyright© 2022 by Ka Hmnd

Chapter 4: Guard Captain joins my practice

It was a day later that it rained. I had brought the wood in and started the fires before I headed back out to the stables for my exercises. People were still laughing at the Earl and coming to the inn to drink so that was good. Since it was raining things would slow down today. I moved to the open area just inside the door of the stable and started stretching.

I was just finishing when the Guard Captain stepped into the doorway. I had only seen him a couple of times. He was a big man that moved well. He carried a slim sword and dagger and did not take crap from anyone. I bowed, “Can I help you sir?”

He grinned, “I heard you knew how to fight and wanted a word.”

I bowed and waved but he only looked around the open area by the door, “What were you doing when I came in?”

I shrugged, “When I was little I was taught a few things. Like how to stretch before I did any exercises. It helps prevent me from tearing muscles.”

The Captain grinned, “They were right. Would you like a partner?”

I hesitated, I did not want to embarrass the captain. He must have been reading my mind, “Do not worry if you knock me on my ass.”

I finally bowed and waved to the area in front of me. He undid his sword belt and hung it from a peg. He pulled his boots off and started a few stretches. When he was ready he stepped forward. We slowly circled and I knew this was not going to be easy. I would have to make it look like it was harder than it would be. I also knew in only a few moments that I was much better than him.

His eyes flicked and he lunged towards me, grabbing at my left wrist. I shifted and turned sideways while bringing my right hand down onto the back of his wrist. My thumb was in the back of his hand as I twisted and turned bringing his arm up and over me. He landed hard on his back when I released him as he lost balance. I hesitated and held my hand down to help him up. He was blinking and trying to catch his breath.

The laugh from the doorway made us both look. The captain grinned and took my hand to be helped up. In the doorway was one of the guard Lieutenants. I released the captain and moved back as he changed the way he stood, “Teaches me to not respect my sparing partner.”

I smiled but kept moving. When he shifted and one leg started to lift in a kick I was already moving. I slid sideways and spun lifting my hand. It connected with the heel of the captain’s foot and continued to lift as he kicked. The captain crashed to the ground with a loud thump and shook his head. I again moved forward to hold down my hand. When he was on his feet he shook his head and nodded.

The lieutenant had squatted inside the door and watched as we circled. I could tell the captain was going to let me move first and slid closer. I feinted and when he went to block, I spun and kicked back. I pulled the blow but the captain still went flying back. He rolled and came to his feet with a wide grin. Our practice lasted almost an hour before he stopped and stepped back to catch his breath. He was grinning, “You are very good lad, do you know any weapon work?”

I relaxed and stood up straight, “knife or dagger work, some staff and a little bit of sword play.”

He grinned at the lieutenant, “Somehow I do not think I want to try practicing with a sword.”

The lieutenant laughed, “I do not blame you. All you have been is his practice dummy.”

The captain grinned as he turned to put his boots on, “And I think he was being gentle on me.”

The lieutenant laughed again and I did some stretching before the captain finally put his sword belt on and turned to me, “Do you practice every day?”

I nodded, “The master gave me leave.”

He smiled, “Perhaps we could practice a little dagger work tomorrow.”

I bowed, “I would be honored.”

I watched him leave with the lieutenant before shaking myself. I started doing chores, first the horses and then the water barrels. I became busy in no time and put our practice out of my mind. The few guards that came in for lunch or dinner looked at me strangely but did not say anything. I finished my chores and the master excused me for the night.

I woke to a thick misty rain and shivered as I slid out of bed. I felt good after a night of uninterrupted sleep. I headed for the wood pile thinking I needed to remind the master that we needed another cord of wood. I finished starting the fires and opened the kitchen door to see almost a dozen guards standing in the stable doorway. I stepped out slowly and started across, “Can I help you sirs?”

They laughed and a sergeant I recognized stepped forward, “We came to watch you practice with the Captain.”

I looked at them, “Did I do something wrong?”

They all laughed as boot steps sounded from the courtyard archway, “No lad, they came to watch you give me lessons.”

The captain walked into the courtyard carrying two wooden daggers. The guards parted and I hesitated before following the captain into the stable. He was wearing a light leather jerkin and two wrist bracers. I nodded as I moved to one side and began to stretch. It was a minute before he joined me and started to almost mirror my stretches.

We finished and he picked up a wooden dagger and tossed it to me. I felt the weighted wooden practice blade and spun it around my hand a couple of times to get the feel. I looked up to see the captain shaking his head while the guards laughed. I shrugged, “The balance is too heavy in the hilt.”

He grinned and his stance shifted to a crouch. I reversed the blade along my arm and moved forward. We circled and I shifted forward more and his dagger struck straight for my chest. I spun sideways as my hand grabbed his wrist and twisted. My dagger went over my hand to swipe across his forearm below his elbow and above the bracer before I released him. I stayed close as he twisted and made a cut towards my stomach.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.