Keeping Things Even - Cover

Keeping Things Even

Copyright© 2022 by Ka Hmnd

Chapter 17: Facing Assassins

It was over a week before Kendra appeared at the inn. The rumors ran wild about her appearance with me. Just the day before, a column of Imperial guards rode through the city and whispers said an Emperor’s Voice rode with them. An Emperor’s Voice was a type of mage that could speak with the Emperor’s voice and what he witnessed could be seen by the Emperor.

I was returning from bringing wood into the kitchen when Kendra appeared. I ignored the guards around her and the richly dressed man as she smiled a radiant smile and bowed, “You look much better.”

She grinned as she stepped closer and held her hand out, “Since you have not come to check on me I decided to come to you.”

I smiled as I took her hand and kissed the back before releasing it, “How can I help you?”

She looked at the richly dressed man, “This is lord Ericson.”

I nodded, “The Emperor’s Voice.”

He bowed, “The Emperor listened to his wards story and wanted to thank you.”

I sighed, “You can tell his majesty that I was...”

He held up his hand, “The Emperor is listening. He said to tell you that the Imperial warrant on Peacemakers has been withdrawn.”

I smiled, “Does that mean he finally believes what we told him about his brother?”

He tilted his head as if listening and nodded, “His majesty said it did not matter.”

I sighed, “It matters, his brother arraigned his older brother’s death and was going to try to kill his father. Peacemakers are guided by the gods of the Empire and bow only to them. My mother did what she had to so that the Empire would remain standing as the gods intended. If his brother had been innocent my mother would not have acted.”

I looked at Kendra and sighed, “I do not serve the Emperor, I serve the Empire.”

She smiled, “Sometimes it is the same thing.”

I nodded, “Most of the time it is.”

The Voice cleared his throat, “His majesty said he will think on your words.”

I bowed slightly before looking at Kendra again, “Have you had a chance to look around the city?”

She nodded, “I asked his majesty if I might spend a little time here.”

I liked the way she looked this morning and gestured to the inn, “Would you like something from the inn?”

She smiled and stepped forward to put her arm through mine, “That would be nice.”

I nodded to the Emperor’s Voice and turned to lead Kendra into the inn. Ms Peace looked up when we came in and looked surprised. I smiled, “Would you make a cup of tea for Miss Brigham?”

She smiled, “Of course.”

When we came through the doors into the common room I knew there was trouble. There were a few of the Imperial guards just inside the door but a man sitting alone at a table stood out. I moved Kendra behind me as I looked at him. He smiled slightly and stood to leave. I watched until he left and then turned to sit Kendra at a table. She glance towards the door, “Who was that you were protecting me from?”

I sat beside her, “An assassin.”

She looked startled and looked at the guards. I shook my head, “It was a notification.”

She looked at me again as the kitchen doors opened and Ginger came out with a cup of tea. I sat and watched her sip tea and talk quietly. Surprisingly she talked about styles of fighting and the ways they could be countered. She was almost animate about it and I finally stopped her with a smile, “I better return you to the ambassador before he comes looking.”

She actually blushed and then laughed as she stood. I glanced at master Hoard as we headed towards the door and he smiled and bowed slightly. I nodded and led Kendra out with her guards falling in around us. We walked back through the city talking about this or that. She asked when I was going to be back at the guards practice yard and said she might come by to watch. When we reached the ambassador’s Keep she turned to face me, “Thank you Edward.”

I bowed and watched her enter before turning back. This time I noticed the assassins as I started for the gate through the Curtain wall. They moved with purpose and I noticed they were not junior masters. I had just passed through the Curtain wall when the first moved. I side stepped a dart and moved down an alley. I was half way down when two moved out of the shadows.

I pulled knives and moved into them, blocking a thrust from one and back stepping to avoid another poisoned dart. I twisted and stabbed through the wrist of the assassin attacking me. I twisted my knife as he screamed and slid in front of him as my other knife sliced across his throat. I spun, using his body as a shield and shoved. I moved after him as the other assassin slid sideways smoothly.

He pulled a short sword and a dagger and lunged. I do not think it was supposed to be a real attack but it brought the hand with the sword close enough. Like with the other assassin, I turned sideways and stabbed through his wrist. This time I yanked straight back towards me and he screamed as he stumbled forward. My other knife stabbed up under the ear and twisted before I was pulling it free.

I glanced back the way I had come and turned the other way as four more assassins darkened the other entrance. I started for the other end and watched three assassins walk in. I spun and squeezed between two walls and into a tiny alcove. I waited and suddenly one slipped into the alcove with me. He lunged and I brushed the blade aside as another assassin slipped in to join us.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.